ADVERTISEMENT

If the ACC wanted WVU, wouldn't WVU already be in the ACC?

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
So right now there are 14 members in the ACC. Forget Notre Dame right now for the sake of this argument. WVU would have to ensure that it would at the least bring 15 Million a year in revenue to add to the total payouts of each school. To be an attractive addition to programs like Clemson, Florida State who would have to split their money with another program you would have to assume that number is probably doubled to say 30 million. In 2016-17 WVU brought in 25 million a year (the lowest in the Big12) in Football. Again I know everyone wants this to happen for our survival but where is this perfect match value coming from that check all the boxes?

We belong in the ACC for every reason that has been discussed but if WVU were some slam dunk addition wouldn't this have already happened? In 2020 WVU ranked 65th in football revenue (behind Wake Forest) and would be the lowest ACC money maker if added in 2020. https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ns-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-157982941/#157982941_3

I hope we end up there but I think we better get ready for a revamped Big12 and hope we can continue to grow the Brand moving forward.

Money is talking. Are you listening? Who would bring big money? There aren't that many. No team in the remnants of the big 12, none in the AAC or the Mountain West or the Sunbelt or the MAC. Maybe 3 teams in the ACC. Maybe, but more unlikely some big schools in the PAC. Who brings lots of TV sets? That opens a few more doors in the ACC and the PAC which the BIG might be able to turn a profit on and there is the Rose Bowl tradition linking the conferences.. I think the ACC is definitely vulnerable long term and probably short term. BIG and the SEC already surround them and have boatloads of cash and more coming. The PAC is geographically safe unless the BIG can grab a bunch of the big schools and make it pay. Keep your eye on Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame, and maybe Stanford, UCLA, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington level teams from the PAC. Nobody is leaving the SEC. Nobody is leaving the BIG. The leftovers of the BIG12 and the rest of the lower tier conferences can be had anytime, ANYTIME. The longer the remnants dont find a home, the less atteactive they will be.

Last edited:
So right now there are 14 members in the ACC. Forget Notre Dame right now for the sake of this argument. WVU would have to ensure that it would at the least bring 15 Million a year in revenue to add to the total payouts of each school. To be an attractive addition to programs like Clemson, Florida State who would have to split their money with another program you would have to assume that number is probably doubled to say 30 million. In 2016-17 WVU brought in 25 million a year (the lowest in the Big12) in Football. Again I know everyone wants this to happen for our survival but where is this perfect match value coming from that check all the boxes?

We belong in the ACC for every reason that has been discussed but if WVU were some slam dunk addition wouldn't this have already happened? In 2020 WVU ranked 65th in football revenue (behind Wake Forest) and would be the lowest ACC money maker if added in 2020. https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ns-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-157982941/#157982941_3

I hope we end up there but I think we better get ready for a revamped Big12 and hope we can continue to grow the Brand moving forward.
If you wanted to be a WVU fan wouldn't you already be a WVU fan.

Reactions: Euell
Money is talking. Are you listening? Who would bring big money? There aren't that many. No team in the remnants of the big 12, none in the AAC or the Mountain West or the Sunbelt or the MAC. Maybe 3 teams in the ACC. Maybe, but more unlikely some big schools in the PAC. Who brings lots of TV sets? That opens a few more doors in the ACC and the PAC which the BIG might be able to turn a profit on and there is the Rose Bowl tradition linking the conferences.. I think the ACC is definitely vulnerable long term and probably short term. BIG and the SEC already surround them and have boatloads of cash and more coming. The PAC is geographically safe unless the BIG can grab a bunch of the big schools and make it pay.
He does nothing but trash WVU. Not sure he'a a fan at all. Has no idea what is really happening.

Let’s net this out. All we have read or heard regarding WVU’s landing spot is pure speculation. We will either have an opportunity to improve our lot in one way or another or we’ll hear the fat lady singing softly or loudly. This is going to take a while to play out but it’s a perfect reflection on the “all about me culture“ that is prevalent in our society. IMO, the greed and avarice running rampant in college sports will be it’s destruction. With each new change to what was once fan crazed amateur college athletics, I personally find it more difficult to care about the resulting drama each selfish move causes. I would love to see my alma mater do well but this far beyond the control of its fans and supporters...it is what it is. Maybe it’s just frustration but I’m close to being done with the whole thing.

If the ACC wanted WVU before it would be because tobacco road racist had moved to another conference.

In 2020 WVU ranked 65th in football revenue (behind Wake Forest)

IN 2018 WVU WAS 37TH NATIONALLY IN OVERALL REVENUE AT $102 MILLION, 4TH IN THE BIG 12.

IN THE FINAL YEAR IN THE BIG EAST, 2012, WVU REVENUE WAS $60 MILLION.

OLIVER LUCK GAVE WVU A MAJOR PAY BUMP BY GETTING MY ALMA MATER INTO THE BIG 12.

YOUR 2020 NUMBER IS MISLEADING. COVID CANCELED FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL TO DROP TO $65 MILLION FROM THE $102 MILLION IN 2019 WITHOUT COVID, THE SAME AS IN 2018.

Ugh, this moronic shit stirrer again. Do you think the Big East wanted Cincinnati, Louisville, or South Florida in the early 2000's? Hell, do you think the Big XII wanted WVU or TCU in the early 2010's? The answer is no, but the circumstances dictated it was the best option available. Now the ACC knows they are on notice with their members being geographically split between the only 2 real viable conferences. The math has changed and it definitely favors taking the best of the sinking Big XII or AAC so that in the event you get poached, you still are in the top 4 of football conferences. And while the ACC might stave off predation only temporarily, 10 years is a good amount of time for conference commissioners, school ADs, and school Presidents to line their pockets with sports money. Either way you look at it, your vapid statement that WVU would have already been in the ACC had the ACC wanted WVU is moronic. It'd be like saying in in 2004 "If the Big XII really wanted WVU, wouldn't they already be in the Big XII?" when the conference still had Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M.

IN 2018 WVU WAS 37TH NATIONALLY IN OVERALL REVENUE AT $102 MILLION, 4TH IN THE BIG 12.

YOUR 2020 NUMBER IS MISLEADING. COVID CANCELED FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL TO DROP TO $65 MILLION FROM THE $102 MILLION IN 2019 WITHOUT COVID, THE SAME AS IN 2018.

I don't know what "football revenue" is but I can't possibly see WVU being less desirable to a conference than Wake Forest. The biggest thing that Wake Forest has going for them is that they're already in the ACC and can't get kicked out.

If WVU and Wake Forest were both independent and a football conference was looking to add a school it would be WVU every time, even if that conference didn't currently have any teams in North Carolina.

There's something to be said for national appeal and the TV money made from fans watching outside the state in which a school sits. I'm not under the illusion that WVU can draw the national audience that Texas or Ohio State can, but they're a helluva ways above Wake Forest.

To answer the original question, no. The past has very little to do with the present. The 'tobacco row' schools have very little influence on the ACC now and are in fact a financial liability. That was not always the case. Previously they did not need what WVU has to offer, now they can't live without it.

I'm talking about a major influx of new subscriptions to the ACCN from Mountaineer Nation spread throughout the Southeast as well as the budget fixer of sold out stadiums for historical rivals. On average, a sold out stadium of 60,000 is worth about $3 million to the home team before expenses and well over a million after. Only Penn State can sell out Pitt's Heinz field quicker than WVU.

What does WVU do for VT ticket sales? Syracuse? Louisville? FSU? Clemson? (payback) NC State and others? You can pair WVU with virtually any school and sell out the stadium in Charlotte. Been there, done that. There are tens of thousands of devoted WVU fans in the Carolinas alone. WVU is one of the few schools where the majority of fans likely live outside the state. We..do..NOT..forget...where...we...come...from and we live and die Old Gold and Blue.

Country roads, take my ass HOME! Go Mountaineers!

Reactions: quinnjj and Euell

I don't understand some of your figures. In 2018-2019 Wake Forest's athletic budget was $76.5 million and WVU's athletic budget was $102,680,928. Did Holgorsen rob us? Wake is a small but wealthy private university of about 5,200 undergraduate students which is about half the size of Marshall. Their football stadium seats 31,500.

4 things in play:

1) ACC a bit unstable themselves.

2) BIG 12 schools in GOR through 2025 and 18th month wait plus 2 years media rights to leave.

3) No one can afford buyouts/GOR but OU/UT maybe-- and they don't want to pay it either. No one else is leaving that money on the table willingly. IMO this is what is stalling 99% of any further moves anywhere. Once UT/OU bluff is finally called after the upcoming season this major financial hurdle will be addressed and things will start up again.

4) Media partner for ACC isn't going to boost all of those schools revenues--at least not much --if they just add WVU. They also want a huge ratings buster like ND to jump on board (or PSU, or UT etc.)

I don't understand some of your figures. In 2018-2019 Wake Forest's athletic budget was $76.5 million and WVU's athletic budget was $102,680,928. Did Holgorsen rob us? Wake is a small but wealthy private university of about 5,200 undergraduate students which is about half the size of Marshall. Their football stadium seats 31,500.
The football stadium and budget should disqualify them from the conference. Any team with a budget under $100 million should be cast out of the P5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT