I thought Big 12 membership would boost MF attendance

Mountaineer Field season attendance, according to Wikipedia:

2011 56,532 last season in Big East

2012 49,344 Big 12 seasons begin

2013 53,076

2014 56,686

2015 54,826

2016 57,383

Overall, 403,000 fans home and away, 5th best in 37 years of new Mountaineer Field in 2016.

So, 3 of 5 Big 12 seasons had lower average attendance than final 2011 season in the Big East.

This is convoluted math because Wikipedia listed attendance by the games and I had to add the totals and divide by the number of games in MF that season so I may have made errors. If anyone has clearer, more official numbers I’d love to see them.

No Greg. People can read your posts and come up with that conclusion on their own. You seem to mention me in half your posts. Obsessed? Doesn't that make you a beta? Just saying.
Big 12 homer Still5 Its obvious you're an obsessed teenage girl. Greg is simple pointing out facts that you continue to ignore. maybe you should consider the body of work.

The reality is the big 12 sucks. Why would anyone want to pay to watch lousy football. The only reason attendance rose last season was because of the W/L ratio. Wvu W/L ratio was the result of a weakened big 12 which isn't saying much considering the big 12 is weak every year. The days of 7-5 will return again this season. Just hope that the eventual big 12 champion doesn't get its a$$ handed to them like Oklahoma did when the played a 3 loss team out of the American athletic conference.

The reality is the big 12 sucks. Why would anyone want to pay to watch lousy football. The only reason attendance rose last season was because of the W/L ratio. Wvu W/L ratio was the result of a weakened big 12 which isn't saying much considering the big 12 is weak every year. The days of 7-5 will return again this season. Just hope that the eventual big 12 champion doesn't get its a$$ handed to them like Oklahoma did when the played a 3 loss team out of the American athletic conference.
The facts don't support your statement.

Record up, attendance up from previous season: 13 times

Record up, attendance down from previous season: 7 times

Record down, attendance down from previous season: 7 times

Record down, attendance up from previous season: 9 times

See, a down season actually increased attendance over the previous year more often than the attendance went down. Even an improved record only brought larger crowds 13 out of 20 times. These are the figures since Mountaineer Field opened in 1980.

It contradicts that I had thought, too, till I did my research.

See, a down season actually increased attendance over the previous year more often than the attendance went down. Even an improved record only brought larger crowds 13 out of 20 times. These are the figures since Mountaineer Field opened in 1980.

If we had more rivals and people actually thought we would accomplish things our attendance would be better. Everyone knows at the end of the day that are football team will produce nothing more than average at best results. If it were not for Tony Gibson are results would be substandard.

cmon you can do better than that. another boring recycled line from you. You're just jealous that every time you try and match wits with me or one of the other more astute posters on here we end up making you our bitch.

You must be related to Donald Trump. You get a butt-whipping and claim you single-handedly slew a battalion of giants. The numbers don't lie, which is why you don't like them.

You must be related to Donald Trump. You get a butt-whipping and claim you single-handedly slew a battalion of giants. The numbers don't lie, which is why you don't like them.
You're the last person who should be quoting numbers. How many big 12 teams made the final 4? You were the fool who actually thought 4 teams from the big 12 stood a chance. The old big east was much better than the current big 12 is in basketball. Many a poster pointed that out to you and like usual you dodged the question.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
The declining attendance is a fact...across the board...has nothing to do with WVU as a specific. This is from a CBS story...

"
Home attendance at all major college football games declined for the sixth consecutive year, though once again at a smaller rate compared to some past seasons.

Football Bowl Subdivision crowds averaged 43,106 fans per game in 2016,downby less than 1 percent from 2015, according to a CBS Sports analysis of NCAA attendance data. The 2015 crowds also declined by less than 1 percent after a 4-percent drop in 2014.

This year's average crowd was again the lowest since 2000 (42,631). Crowd sizes were down 7 percent since peaking in 2008 (46,565). Universities have tried with mixed results to keep fans in stadiums instead of watching for less money from the comfort of their home.

As always, the data for this year's analysis counts only home games and not neutral-site venues."

This is a lousy trend when you bundle it with cable sports losing subscribers by the thousands. Fact is: WVU is in a bad place for the future as TV revenue shrinks and there is nobody on the schedule that creates a regional rivalry.

cmon you can do better than that. another boring recycled line from you. You're just jealous that every time you try and match wits with me or one of the other more astute posters on here we end up making you our bitch.
I thought after your literary master peice last week, you would be gone for awhile. Proof that a fool has no sense of his foolishness.

Also, every season with a coaching change since 1980 has a down attendance from the previous season, even with winning records. I think you're looking for something that's not there.

Over 37 years at MF/MPS attendance is consistent, it just may not have exploded exponentially as you had expected. Also, seating capacity has changed over the years. Only 50k seats in the first few years at MF/MPS and up to 60k now. WVU FB may have reached saturation at 60k; no need to add seats.

Mountaineer Field season attendance, according to Wikipedia:

2011 56,532 last season in Big East

2012 49,344 Big 12 seasons begin

2013 53,076

2014 56,686

2015 54,826

2016 57,383

Overall, 403,000 fans home and away, 5th best in 37 years of new Mountaineer Field in 2016.

So, 3 of 5 Big 12 seasons had lower average attendance than final 2011 season in the Big East.

This is convoluted math because Wikipedia listed attendance by the games and I had to add the totals and divide by the number of games in MF that season so I may have made errors. If anyone has clearer, more official numbers I’d love to see them.

WV people are losing jobs faster than it took for you to type this awful red font thread. It takes money for people to attend games. With so many WV out of work there is a money type crisis. The WV government can't even pass a budget but WVU ticket prices continue to grow. Previous WVU Alumni are leaving the state so fast it's causing traffic jams on the WV Turnpike.

WV people are losing jobs faster than it took for you to type this awful red font thread. It takes money for people to attend games. With so many WV out of work there is a money type crisis. The WV government can't even pass a budget but WVU ticket prices continue to grow. Previous WVU Alumni are leaving the state so fast it's causing traffic jams on the WV Turnpike.
ALLEN, I hear you on this but I think there are two sides to the economy vs. ticket prices issue. The best data I can find shows that the highest number of season tickets sold at MF/MPS was 38,191 in 2008, slightly higher than the 38,037 sold in 2007. Since then season tickets have slipped to the high 20's to low 30's on average. 2015 was 27,948 and 2016 was about 28,000. Economy issues? Maybe, but WVU has also implemented mini-packages in this same time period and also offered individual ticket customization as well.

Mini-packages don't count as season tickets sold but do count to total tickets sold, so the total attendance numbers I quoted in an earlier post remain consistent over the 37 years at MF/MPS. More folks also would rather watch the game from a better seat; their home. And with almost every game televised and with the HDTV experience and surround sound almost like being there a certain number of fans (me included because of travel distance) don't buy tickets anymore. Are some of these economic casualties? Probably, but yet total attendance remains relatively consistent and the 28,000+ hard core season ticket holders remains constant too.

I know that all CFB is seeing a decline in attendance, but CFE's original issue that the change to the Big Xii would bring a surge in attendance overall doesn't hold water. Big games like UT & OU bring single game surges, but do most of the fans really get up for KU and TTU when they are on the home schedule?

LOL at their #4 ranking to end the year.

Out of context 5-0. Oklahoma was fine in conference but horrible out-of-conference. Oklahoma is the poster child for underachieving on the National stage. I'd put Georgia at a distant second. Granted Oklahoma looked like a top team at WVU but we know better.

Reactions: Spookycat2002
Out of context 5-0. Oklahoma was fine in conference but horrible out-of-conference. Oklahoma is the poster child for underachieving on the National stage. I'd put Georgia at a distant second. Granted Oklahoma looked like a top team at WVU but we know better.
They must of looked good enough to be voted #4 by the pollsters. That may not fit your agenda but it certainly is in context of the above posts.

They must of looked good enough to be voted #4 by the pollsters. That may not fit your agenda but it certainly is in context of the above posts.

They were actually #3 in the poll that counts I believe. So super! Grab on to Oklahoma as Big12 watches playoffs once again haha. Big12 football is garbage and everyone but Big12 homers are well aware of that.

One big factor with attendance is weather. That would probably explain some of the randomness.

Lgm!

In the 6 seasons that CFE lists above the average attendance is 54,641. In 37 seasons at new MF total attendance is 2,003,810 or an average of 54,157; a difference of 484. Have a season with bad weather and you'll come up with that difference.

I'd say that the numbers indicate that win or lose or no matter what conference we play in fan attendance is relatively consistent.
Actually, as my later post in this thread when I checked the number during good and bad W-L seasons the conclusion I came up with is this: Fan inconsistency.

Attendance went up and down during bad seasons and up and down, up more up, during good seasons. There's no consistency at all, other than inconsistently. The season numbers are yo-yo and no one theory will hold up to the numbers. Even mine. It surprised me but it wasn't what I thought. Like most, I though good seasons brought better attendance. Not always true. And that bad seasons brought sagging attendance. Not even close to being right. Fans are fickle, or inconsistent.
Any else is a red herring, just like this font. Blaming the economy doesn't hold water when attendance goes up and down during bad money times. Weather is the same every season, pretty much. Travel distance is the same.

People change their habits, sure. But then why does attendance go up some seasons and down others. There is NO consistent pattern other than inconsistency.

Surprised me, too.

Not everyone is like me. In Mountaineer Field for every game for 20 years, and until the undertake gets me. Everything else is an excuse.

Actually, as my later post in this thread when I checked the number during good and bad W-L seasons the conclusion I came up with is this: Fan inconsistency.

Attendance went up and down during bad seasons and up and down, up more up, during good seasons. There's no consistency at all, other than inconsistently. The season numbers are yo-yo and no one theory will hold up to the numbers. Even mine. It surprised me but it wasn't what I thought. Like most, I though good seasons brought better attendance. Not always true. And that bad seasons brought sagging attendance. Not even close to being right. Fans are fickle, or inconsistent.
Any else is a red herring, just like this font. Blaming the economy doesn't hold water when attendance goes up and down during bad money times. Weather is the same every season, pretty much. Travel distance is the same.

People change their habits, sure. But then why does attendance go up some seasons and down others. There is NO consistent pattern other than inconsistency.

Surprised me, too.

Not everyone is like me. In Mountaineer Field for every game for 20 years, and until the undertake gets me. Everything else is an excuse.
Good Morning CFE... and glad to see you're still with us. The consistency is that years after a coaching change have down attendence. Who knows what individual factors contribute to fan trends, but WVU will always sell about 30k season tickets and have about 55k in average butts in the seats regardless of the conference affiliation.

Michigan needs to be on that list too.

I thought after your literary master peice last week, you would be gone for awhile. Proof that a fool has no sense of his foolishness.
Its funny you quoting grammar. Why don't you figure out how to spell piece. Only a fool like yourself would call someone out and be stupid enough to spell something wrong in their response. In fairness I expect nothing else from a lightweight.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Its funny you quoting grammar. Why don't you figure out how to spell piece. Only a fool like yourself would call someone out and be stupid enough to spell something wrong in their response. In fairness I expect nothing else from a lightweight.

Get yourself some help little fella. You've got about 20 posts in this thread alone and you're calling others obsessed. Shrill and stupid is no way to go through life son..

Its funny how you like to quote Oklahoma's final ranking. They didn't beat 1 good team. Look at there Body of work . I guess western Michigan has a better football program than wvu right? I mean these are the same people who voted Oklahoma # 4

Its funny how you like to quote Oklahoma's final ranking. They didn't beat 1 good team. Look at there Body of work . I guess western Michigan has a better football program than wvu right? I mean these are the same people who voted Oklahoma # 4

Their Body of Work was good enough to be voted in the top 5 in all the polls. It is funny how you rail about our lack of top 25 wins but want to discredit OU's final ranking.

Yes, a misspelled word verse a half a dozen misspelled words, poor grammar and no sentence structure. Yep, you sure showed me.

Yes, a misspelled word verse a half a dozen misspelled words, poor grammar and no sentence structure. Yep, you sure showed me.
Well you misspell words all the time. There were errors that you pointed out but some of the things you highlighted were grammatically correct but a fool like yourself couldn't tell the difference. You just proved you're a hypocrite. We all know you're a fool for trying to play the grammar card on a sports message board. If you got nothing like you usually don't then that's the only play you have lightweight.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Their Body of Work was good enough to be voted in the top 5 in all the polls. It is funny how you rail about our lack of top 25 wins but want to discredit OU's final ranking.
Oklahoma is a fraud and everyone outside of the big 12 knows it. Ohio State rolled into Norman and pounded them like a cheap whore. They got bitch slapped by a 4 loss team from the american conference. Oklahoma didn't start winning until they got into big 12 play. They got lucky that they drew an 8-4 sec team in a down year for the sec. If they would have ended up in the playoff and got a 3rd crack at Clemson they would have gotten blown out a 3rd straight time. Any team that truly was a contender would have made Oklahoma their bitch. You will see it again when Ohio state stomps them in Columbus.

Oklahoma is a fraud and everyone outside of the big 12 knows it. Ohio State rolled into Norman and pounded them like a cheap whore. They got bitch slapped by a 4 loss team from the american conference. Oklahoma didn't start winning until they got into big 12 play. They got lucky that they drew an 8-4 sec team in a down year for the sec. If they would have ended up in the playoff and got a 3rd crack at Clemson they would have gotten blown out a 3rd straight time. Any team that truly was a contender would have made Oklahoma their bitch. You will see it again when Ohio state stomps them in Columbus.

LOL. Everyone outside of the coaches and AP voters. You're priceless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT