ADVERTISEMENT

I think it's time for Huggins to start Phillip over Carter

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
If you absolutely have to bring Paige off the bench fine. But Carter has no business starting over Phillip.

Senior Night nod if so

Paige & Phillip are beast. What a great recruiting job by the staff to scoop those guys up off the radar & turn them into star quality players.

I'll truly miss seeing Paige in a Mountaineer uniform, but thankful we've got him back healthy for what hopes to be a March run to remember.

Phillip is turning in to my favorite player on the team. I love the passion he plays with. Not to mention, he's pretty darn good too. I worry about him running his mouth on the court at times and getting targeted by the officials, but so far it's not been a problem. I like players with confidence and attitude.

Disagree. He is best with Paige off the bench. He started when Miles first went out and watch a replay of his play. In addition as many others point out, it doesn't matter who starts at guard in this system.

I don't really care who starts but what has happened to Carter this year? I really thought he would be one of our leading scorers but he just can't seem to get it together. While Paige and Phillip have made huge improvement this year, Carter and Miles have either gone backward or stayed the same (if you're nice).

I don't really care who starts but what has happened to Carter this year? I really thought he would be one of our leading scorers but he just can't seem to get it together. While Paige and Phillip have made huge improvement this year, Carter and Miles have either gone backward or stayed the same (if you're nice).

I think Carter just benefited from playing off Staten.

If you absolutely have to bring Paige off the bench fine. But Carter has no business starting over Phillip.
1. It does not matter who starts but who finishes the game.
2. Phillips is playing more minutes than Carter
3. Hugs likes the strong second team rotation.
4. He is playing great coming off the bench, why F up that chemistry?

1. It does not matter who starts but who finishes the game.
2. Phillips is playing more minutes than Carter
3. Hugs likes the strong second team rotation.
4. He is playing great coming off the bench, why F up that chemistry?
Exactly, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Nothing has happened to Carter except he was asked to play a position for the first time in his life and that happens to be on a team in a very tough conference. He has had a very respectable year in areas that don't show up in the offensive stats.

Heck, every time WV loses a game the critics claim Huggs does not yet have it fixed. When they win, the very same folks jump on the bandwagon and claim that he does have it fixed. Trust me. Huggs has it fixed! WV is a beast this year and is playing big time ball. At least that's how I see it. Warez

Nothing has happened to Carter except he was asked to play a position for the first time in his life and that happens to be on a team in a very tough conference. He has had a very respectable year in areas that don't show up in the offensive stats.
I get that Carter's playing point and hadn't played it before but that doesn't explain why he can't shoot it as well as last year when he gets open looks. I have no idea what his shooting percentages are this year compared to last year but it sure seems like he's shooting it much worse.

Speaking of starting and finishing, what happened to the freshman? Did not see him the 2nd half.

Heck, every time WV loses a game the critics claim Huggs does not yet have it fixed. When they win, the very same folks jump on the bandwagon and claim that he does have it fixed. Trust me. Huggs has it fixed! WV is a beast this year and is playing big time ball. At least that's how I see it. Warez

Im in total agreement. Lots of different teams have some defeats this season not just the Mountaineers. There has been some great wins this season even in the loses the 'EERS been fun to watch.

I get that Carter's playing point and hadn't played it before but that doesn't explain why he can't shoot it as well as last year when he gets open looks. I have no idea what his shooting percentages are this year compared to last year but it sure seems like he's shooting it much worse.
You make a logical point but I assure you playing different positions has an effect on offensive production. I am guessing a big one is less practice at spot up shooting as he has to spend time on other drills in order to play pg.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I think part of the philosophy that was discussed last night - also unorthodox like pressing unendingly - is when the 2nd unit guys come in, they're catching the opposing starters already a bit winded if not being subbed for bench players. Then it's like some of our best players vs the opponent's bench. But as the game wears on, it's all moot anyway.

Other side of the coin is preserving the fouling tendency of Phillip and Paige. I think Paige is the only guy who can stop Paige so to speak. Offense should run heavily through him until the opponent shows it'll stop him. He could turn into a Butler type when we really need a bucket down the stretch.

Phillip is turning in to my favorite player on the team. I love the passion he plays with. Not to mention, he's pretty darn good too. I worry about him running his mouth on the court at times and getting targeted by the officials, but so far it's not been a problem. I like players with confidence and attitude.

I think Carter is being more of a PG this year, because he is a PG this year. He is not being assertive offensively. They are not running stuff for him. He could score a lot more if we had a true PG. But he is pretty athletic for a PG and allows Page to play the 2, I think? Can Phillip run the point?

I think Carter is being more of a PG this year, because he is a PG this year. He is not being assertive offensively. They are not running stuff for him. He could score a lot more if we had a true PG. But he is pretty athletic for a PG and allows Page to play the 2, I think? Can Phillip run the point?

Not to sound mean or hateful, but have you watched any WVU games this year? Phillip is a PG, and when he comes in is the point. Only time he plays the 2 spot is if he is in there with Carter at the same time, which is rare.

Disagree. He is best with Paige off the bench. He started when Miles first went out and watch a replay of his play. In addition as many others point out, it doesn't matter who starts at guard in this system.

It's irrelevant who starts for WVU. There are 10 guys who are starters. "Bench" stats for WVU are so misleading. All 10 play. Huggins just keeps sending his pit bulls in and out for Press Virginia.

I love it!

Now, win me a national title before I die. I'm 83, so don't dawdle.

Not to sound mean or hateful, but have you watched any WVU games this year? Phillip is a PG, and when he comes in is the point. Only time he plays the 2 spot is if he is in there with Carter at the same time, which is rare.
This point kinda makes the excuses as to why Carter isn't scoring moot. If Phillip is scoring at PG when he's in there, why isn't Carter? I realize Phillip doesn't always score like he did the other night but he sure seems like a more consistent scorer than Carter. Maybe PG is just not Carter's thing and Paige is our best 2 spot guard so Carter is getting squeezed out.

The thing is Carter is NOT shooting it much worse than he did last year. Even in the midst of his prolonged shooting slump this year his stats are:

37.1% FG% and 28.7% 3pt%

That's not pretty especially for someone who shoots as much as he does (he leads the team in 3pt attempts). the thing is last season he shot:

36.0% FG% and 31.4% 3pt% (and led the team in 3pt attempts by a considerably wider margin than he does this year)

I'm not anti-Carter but he's never been a good shooter and in my opinion he shoots way too much in light of that. People tend to recall the rare occasions when he got hot briefly and forget the typical results of his shooting.

The thing is Carter is NOT shooting it much worse than he did last year. Even in the midst of his prolonged shooting slump this year his stats are:

37.1% FG% and 28.7% 3pt%

That's not pretty especially for someone who shoots as much as he does (he leads the team in 3pt attempts). the thing is last season he shot:

36.0% FG% and 31.4% 3pt% (and led the team in 3pt attempts by a considerably wider margin than he does this year)

I'm not anti-Carter but he's never been a good shooter and in my opinion he shoots way too much in light of that. People tend to recall the rare occasions when he got hot briefly and forget the typical results of his shooting.
Thanks for the stats. It seems like he is scoring so much less than last season and shooting it worse but I think you're right about how we recall last year.

no offense but that's why Huggins is the coach and makes the big bucks. whether the minutes are starting or bench is irrelevant for this team.

Again, recollection and perception can play tricks on us

This year Carter averages 9.3 ppg in 27.6 minutes per games, and averages 7.6 shots a game.

Last year he averaged 8.1 ppg in 23.8 minutes a game, and averaged 7.5 shots a game.

He averages about .34 points a minute played this year. Last year, he also averaged about .34 points a minute played. There is very little difference.

I suspect it's mostly expectation. Last year with little or no expectation as a relatively unheralded freshman, his production was viewed favorably. This year with people hoping he would build on his first year and become a leader and highly productive player he is seen as a disappointment even though his production and efficiency is very similar.

I also think the fact he obviously does struggle with playing PG offensively might make people think he is also shooting considerably worse even though he is not.

Last edited:
Hence the "I think". Regardless of Phillip, that is what I think with respect to Carter this year v. Last. Nice chatting with you.

I think the response to you was based on you closing by asking the question:

"Can Phillip run the point?"

Which does strike as an odd question because he has been doing it all season and it's reasonable to think people who watch us play would know that.

Your " I think" had no discernible relationship to the question about Phillip, at least in the manner most people speak English.

Getting obnoxious when someone points out you asked a question that appears rooted in a complete lack of knowledge isn't helping you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT