ADVERTISEMENT

I posed a question.....

gcb

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
in a response to another question raised....that question was "Why haven't you beaten us?"

To expand on it the premise being a high quality program(you) versus one of the worst programs in the country(us) so the question begs......"Why haven't you beaten us, not just once but multiple times?"

Why?

Well, let's break down that 0-12.

Even though we almost got you in 1911, i really have nothing to explain the 4 1923 and earlier games. I do think you were lucky to miss us in 1919 when Arch and the boys went 8-0-0, scored 302 and only gave up 13 points all season. What a team that was.

Then we took a break from playing you for 74 years. Probably for the best since Marshall was a small teachers college and you had a bunch of farmers hoss around pigs and cows all day. My money would have been on the farmers and not the teachers.

That brings us to 1997, our very first game of 1-A football since 1981. We rolled into Morgantown with our 65 scholarship players, still rocking a 1-AA roster, but with some talent on the team. I believe that team had like 14 guys that played in the NFL. Chad Pennington was starting his first game since December 1995 after taking a redshirt year in 1996 that he didn't get in 1995 after having to play as a true freshman due to injuries. Despite having more first downs, more total yards, and less penalties, Marshall couldn't overcome the rust on Pennington, who threw 4 picks, offsetting his 3 TDs. We came out nervous, blocked punt, turnovers, etc., but then the talent showed as we reeled off 28 straight to take the lead into the 4th. Our lack of depth did us in at the end, as the fact that wvu played 12 more players in the game than Marshall had them fresher in the 4th.

After the shock of being behind, at home, going into the 4th quarter, wvu wisely decided to avoid Marshall. They got to miss Pennington in his last two years while he went 25-1. Those two years wvu went 12-11, lost to teams like ECU and Navy. They also avoided the three year of Byron Leftwich, with his last two years going 22-4. So they skip 5 years of the two best QBs, and teams, in Marshall history. Marshall finished in the top 25 three of those years (didn't get ranked at 12-1 in 1998), including a top 10 13-0 season with a Heisman finalist.

So finally we get the governor who mandates the Coal Bowl. By that time Pruett was gone and we had hired a moron as our head coach. We had scholarship reductions, a moron AD and we're getting beat by everyone. Conversely, wvu had hired Rich Rod and was entering their most successful period ever. You play against us with QB greats like Jimmy Skinner, Brian Anderson, and Bernie Morris while you have Pat White and Geno Smith. This made the 2006 through 2009 games a foregone conclusion.

Then Doc comes along and 2010 happened. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but still a loss. Doc's second game as a head coach, with the first not having any pressure because we got pile driven by Ohio State in the Shoe the week before. He watched as our moron DC at the time went to a prevent against a very good QB with a 15 point lead and 8 minutes left. Changing what we had been doing defensively the whole game cost us a win.

In 2011 we go back to Morgantown with first time starter, true freshman Cato at QB. Deer in the headlights in that game, not ready to play a team like wvu.

2012, Cato is better, the defense is putrid behind super DC Chris Rippon. The major mistake by Doc was keeping Rippon around for a third season. Our offense was fine, but as you know, we gave up 69. Don't feel good about that though, Marshall gave up at least 50 points 5 times that season. How bad was it? We averaged over 40 ppg and went 5-7.

Our best year during the entire 7 year Coal Bowl run was 7-6, we didn't have one season where we finished over .500 during the regular season. On the flip side, during that period you averaged just under 10 wins per year and your worst season was 7-6.

The series ends and you once again miss the junior and senior year of our other top 3 QB of all time. Cato goes 23-5 over his final two seasons while wvu falls back to earth and goes 11-14 in 2013 and 2014.

You want to know why we haven't beaten you? It's all timing. You guys will never, ever admit it, but that 7 game series all occurred during our worst stretch in the last 35 years and your best stretch in, well, ever. You missed three QBs who went a combined 68-10 over their junior and senior years and lead us to 6 bowl wins, 6 conference championship games, 5 conference championships, and 4 top 25 finishes in those 6 years. Good break for you guys.

Reactions: 30Kelly

Even though we almost got you in 1911, i really have nothing to explain the 4 1923 and earlier games. I do think you were lucky to miss us in 1919 when Arch and the boys went 8-0-0, scored 302 and only gave up 13 points all season. What a team that was.

Then we took a break from playing you for 74 years. Probably for the best since Marshall was a small teachers college and you had a bunch of farmers hoss around pigs and cows all day. My money would have been on the farmers and not the teachers.

That brings us to 1997, our very first game of 1-A football since 1981. We rolled into Morgantown with our 65 scholarship players, still rocking a 1-AA roster, but with some talent on the team. I believe that team had like 14 guys that played in the NFL. Chad Pennington was starting his first game since December 1995 after taking a redshirt year in 1996 that he didn't get in 1995 after having to play as a true freshman due to injuries. Despite having more first downs, more total yards, and less penalties, Marshall couldn't overcome the rust on Pennington, who threw 4 picks, offsetting his 3 TDs. We came out nervous, blocked punt, turnovers, etc., but then the talent showed as we reeled off 28 straight to take the lead into the 4th. Our lack of depth did us in at the end, as the fact that wvu played 12 more players in the game than Marshall had them fresher in the 4th.

After the shock of being behind, at home, going into the 4th quarter, wvu wisely decided to avoid Marshall. They got to miss Pennington in his last two years while he went 25-1. Those two years wvu went 12-11, lost to teams like ECU and Navy. They also avoided the three year of Byron Leftwich, with his last two years going 22-4. So they skip 5 years of the two best QBs, and teams, in Marshall history. Marshall finished in the top 25 three of those years (didn't get ranked at 12-1 in 1998), including a top 10 13-0 season with a Heisman finalist.

So finally we get the governor who mandates the Coal Bowl. By that time Pruett was gone and we had hired a moron as our head coach. We had scholarship reductions, a moron AD and we're getting beat by everyone. Conversely, wvu had hired Rich Rod and was entering their most successful period ever. You play against us with QB greats like Jimmy Skinner, Brian Anderson, and Bernie Morris while you have Pat White and Geno Smith. This made the 2006 through 2009 games a foregone conclusion.

Then Doc comes along and 2010 happened. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but still a loss. Doc's second game as a head coach, with the first not having any pressure because we got pile driven by Ohio State in the Shoe the week before. He watched as our moron DC at the time went to a prevent against a very good QB with a 15 point lead and 8 minutes left. Changing what we had been doing defensively the whole game cost us a win.

In 2011 we go back to Morgantown with first time starter, true freshman Cato at QB. Deer in the headlights in that game, not ready to play a team like wvu.

2012, Cato is better, the defense is putrid behind super DC Chris Rippon. The major mistake by Doc was keeping Rippon around for a third season. Our offense was fine, but as you know, we gave up 69. Don't feel good about that though, Marshall gave up at least 50 points 5 times that season. How bad was it? We averaged over 40 ppg and went 5-7.

Our best year during the entire 7 year Coal Bowl run was 7-6, we didn't have one season where we finished over .500 during the regular season. On the flip side, during that period you averaged just under 10 wins per year and your worst season was 7-6.

The series ends and you once again miss the junior and senior year of our other top 3 QB of all time. Cato goes 23-5 over his final two seasons while wvu falls back to earth and goes 11-14 in 2013 and 2014.

You want to know why we haven't beaten you? It's all timing. You guys will never, ever admit it, but that 7 game series all occurred during our worst stretch in the last 35 years and your best stretch in, well, ever. You missed three QBs who went a combined 68-10 over their junior and senior years and lead us to 6 bowl wins, 6 conference championship games, 5 conference championships, and 4 top 25 finishes in those 6 years. Good break for you guys.

I read almost none of that. I assume that it basically says that they would have beaten WVU every year we didn't play.

No team should schedule the same OOC team every season.... especially when it does nothing for one party. You played, you lost, it suprised nobody. Just lose with grace.... which you haven't done since 2010.

Reactions: old buzzard
In other words, you read it all, agree with the content, and have no other response.

Nope.

That novel just looked a lot longer than "Because Marshall's depth chart wasn't as talented each matchup ". That's the correct answer. If you wanted to disagree with me on 1997, I would say that you were wrong, BUT would agree that year was a talented year for you guys.

Well yeah, if you are a simpleton that's enough I guess. If you want to be honest and really look at it, more effort is required.

Well yeah, if you are a simpleton that's enough I guess. If you want to be honest and really look at it, more effort is required.

I am not a simpleton, but even a simpleton knows the answer.

What color is the sky? How many states does America have? Why does WVU always beat Marshall?

All simpletons answer: Blue, 50, talent.

Making the answer more complicated than talent would make you a great Clinton campaign manager.

Reactions: WVU82

MAD

I think this is as fair and objective analysis of that burning question as I have ever seen in print! It gives the picture of MU and WVU with a " nail on the head" description. The 2nd coming of Pat White is coming to Huntington in the form of Lamar Jackson this fall.

Bobby Pruett threw a little fit after '97, and blew what was going to be a series. No one "dodges" Marshall, it's seen as an automatic win.

Marshall is as delusional about WVU, as PSU is about Paterno hiding a pedophile. Nehlen wanted to play, Bobby stuck his foot in his mouth in negotiations and pissed off the powers that be at WVU. If you want to cry about how the series played out, blame Bobby as that's where the fault lies.

Last edited:

You didn't have to write a novel. You could have made the same point by just saying WVU has always been better than Marshall.

Reactions: WVU82 and mdeer1
If the 2015 season was extended one game after the bowl season and MU-WVU played on a neutral field...WVU -7 . Tough bet in my book!
I would bet the house on that one. I think it would have been similar to the last time we played MVU.

If we had played WVU last season, honesty compels me to say I do think next to WKU they have been the 2nd best team on the slate.

Thanks, man, for you to elevate us to that level, I'm overwhelmed.

If we had played WVU last season, honesty compels me to say I do think next to WKU they have been the 2nd best team on the slate.

You can't compare CUSA teams to P5 schools. The level of competition is on two different planes. WKU barely beat an abysmal Vanderbilt and lost to freaking Indiana. They were then ass-ended by LSU.I would liked to have seen what that Dougherty would have done as a QB in the P5 though.

Ill give WKU this..... at least they are trying.

You wouldn't have wanted that last year, you're already embarassed and frustrated enough by 12-0. I doubt you'd like to keep hearing 13-0.

You can't compare CUSA teams to P5 schools. The level of competition is on two different planes. WKU barely beat an abysmal Vanderbilt and lost to freaking Indiana. They were then ass-ended by LSU.I would liked to have seen what that Dougherty would have done as a QB in the P5 though.

True they barely lost to IU in Bloomington in a game they should have won, but I don't think the 2015 edition of IU football was all that bad, Hoosier's blew their Bowl game to Duke in a game they should have won. The LSU game in Baton Rouge was played in a torrential monsoon which is tough on a passing team but helps a running team like LSU. I think WKU was pretty good last year, maybe suspect on defense but they could move the ball on anyone.

True they barely lost to IU in Bloomington in a game they should have won, but I don't think the 2015 edition of IU football was all that bad, Hoosier's blew their Bowl game to Duke in a game they should have won. The LSU game in Baton Rouge was played in a torrential monsoon which is tough on a passing team but helps a running team like LSU. I think WKU was pretty good last year, maybe suspect on defense but they could move the ball on anyone.

Always a lot of "if only" and "should have" when Marshall or any of its opponents are the topic. This thread is a perfect example. If Pennington wasn't rusty, If Cato didn't act like a deer in the headlights, If we would have played when we had Leftwich, If you guys didn't have Pat White and Geno Smith. WKU beat us and they should have beat Indiana but didn't...............and on and on.

Last edited:
Reactions: countryroads89
That's a lot of time to write down a bunch of lame excuses. Wow.

You just can't accept the fact that WVU is the much better program. We get it. If not for all of the stuff you wrote down, it would be Marshall that is undefeated in head-to-head combat against WVU.

Congratulation! Marshall wins!....

A lot of Marshall fans, such as banker, look at wins and losses while ignoring the competition.

Wins and losses tell the story. If Marshall had played WVU's schedule last year, Marshall would struggle to win two games. Three, if we add a major upset.

A lot of Marshall fans, such as banker, look at wins and losses while ignoring the competition.

Waaaaait! Your comically bad rating system did that exact same thing. Now, you're claiming we shouldn't go by that?

Last edited:

Wins and losses tell the story. If Marshall had played WVU's schedule last year, Marshall would struggle to win two games. Three, if we add a major upset.

I'd give them Kansas and Liberty at home. Judging by how they went apeshit over Purdue, they would burn Huntington to the ground. Iowa State is a coin flip. GSU murders them worse than Texas and TT do. I'll say three wins.

WVU would run the table on MU's schedule.

Reactions: WVU82 and 30CAT
I'd give them Kansas and Liberty at home. Judging by how they went apeshit over Purdue, they would burn Huntington to the ground. Iowa State is a coin flip. GSU murders them worse than Texas and TT do. I'll say three wins.

WVU would run the table on MU's schedule.

Agreed. Forgot about Liberty, but also agree WVU would have been undefeated with Marshall's schedule.

Marshall would win at least six games with the Ear schedule, and more than likely eight.

Georgia Southern at home - Easy win. Remember, their QB didn't play that game as well.
Liberty at home - Easy win.
Maryland at home - Easy win.
@ Oklahoma - big defeat, just like you guys
Oklahoma State at home - Close game (tossup)
@ Baylor - big defeat, just like you guys
@ TCU - big defeat, just like you guys
Texas Tech - Easy win.
Texas - Easy win.
@ Kansas - Easy win.
Iowa State - Easy win.
@ Kansas State - Close game (tossup)

Splitting the tossups, that's 8-4

Sorry Ears, but we're just better than you.

Reactions: 30Kelly
Agreed. Forgot about Liberty, but also agree WVU would have been undefeated with Marshall's schedule.

They just don't understand the difference in difficulty from making THAT big of a conference jump. Big East to B12 was a challenge enough. Imagine playing CUSA then making the jump. It is not just the talent gap from CUSA, it is the strain of hitting quality opponents for weeks straight while trying to stay healthy. If you think the talent gap between starting units is bad, wait until you have a couple of DBs and OL go down ... or a QB. Try to be competitive when substituting for defensive players who have played 80 plays the last three quarters. CUSA, Marshall especially, depth charts just aren't there.

Mooers just don't get that. I didn't get it until I saw the 2012 season. We absolutely murdered defenses(Marshall included) until the need for a depth chart showed how top heavy we were.

Reactions: WVU82 and 30CAT
Marshall would win at least six games with the Ear schedule, and more than likely eight.

Georgia Southern at home - Easy win. Remember, their QB didn't play that game as well.
Liberty at home - Easy win.
Maryland at home - Easy win.
@ Oklahoma - big defeat, just like you guys
Oklahoma State at home - Close game (tossup)
@ Baylor - big defeat, just like you guys
@ TCU - big defeat, just like you guys
Texas Tech - Easy win.
Texas - Easy win.
@ Kansas - Easy win.
Iowa State - Easy win.
@ Kansas State - Close game (tossup)

Splitting the tossups, that's 8-4

Sorry Ears, but we're just better than you.

Admit it or not, I know you don't truly believe that....[roll]

A CUS1AA team that went 1-3 against teams with a winning record, playing one of, if not THE worst schedule in the FBS?

BAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, we should schedule Moo every year, because, the only times we're ever any good are the years they are on our schedule. It is comical and pathetic to read the rationalizations of these fans. Wow...lol....smh...wow.

Reactions: 30CAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT