ADVERTISEMENT

I know that this is going to take some time to play out, but.....

mzman

All-Conference
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2001
the handwriting is on the wall. I don't see any way this thing reverses course, at least in a really meaningful way. Sure, the NCAA or its ultimate replacement may be able to put some minimum constraints on the portaling process, but nothing impactful. As a (very) small market program, we're most likely going to fade similar to the Pittsburgh Pirates (hopefully not as bad). Over a 20-year period, I went from listening to every Pirate game growing up to not knowing a single player's name on the roster. WVU football will be hit harder than basketball and I'll continue to hold out hope that we can throw enough money in a can to someday replace Huggs with a great coach, buy a few players and become relevant again.

What bothers me most about this mess is watching how fast the players became "all about themselves" and no longer invested in the University. Growing up in West Virginia, I learned to love my state and WVU. Attending WVU, I became a fanatic and Mountaineer sports became a huge part of my life. I can tell you where I was when JFK died and where I was on 9/11 when the planes hit the towers, but I can also tell you where I was when Bill McKenzie kicked that winning FG against Pitt, when Jack was screaming "they got him.... they got him...they got Flutie", when we finally beat Penn State and Miami, beat Nevada Las Vegas in hoops and countless other legendary Mountaineer victories... And I remember where I was when we beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and Oklahoma in the Fiesta. Yes, many of you remember too, cause you were with me in the stands (except that Boston College game in 84 when I was getting married). When Owen Schmitt was crying during his interview after the Fiesta, tears of joy were running down my face, as well. He said "I love this state" and he really meant it. I may be wrong, but that player's passion to play for (our beloved) team seems to be giving way to greed and selfishness. Yes, we can explain it away as free enterprise and individual rights, but that doesn't make it any better for "the love of the game". It's just sad.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News