ADVERTISEMENT

I enjoy the people blasting Lyons.

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
Question to those people: Would you pay 50,000 for a car that bluebooks for 17,500? If Holgorsen was worth throwing more money at WVU would have done so. You gotta remember Lyons came from Alabama so he knows what a proven winner looks like. He also knows what a potential winner looks like and that's what he is doing giving Dana a chance to prove he is a winner. This is not a Ed Pastilong caliber AD who is going to make some decision based on 1 win or 1 loss. It's about body of work and right now Dana's overall record does not warrant a contract extension.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Question to those people: Would you pay 50,000 for a car that bluebooks for 17,500? If Holgorsen was worth throwing more money at WVU would have done so. You gotta remember Lyons came from Alabama so he knows what a proven winner looks like. He also knows what a potential winner looks like and that's what he is doing giving Dana a chance to prove he is a winner. This is not a Ed Pastilong caliber AD who is going to make some decision based on 1 win or 1 loss. It's about body of work and right now Dana's overall record does not warrant a contract extension.

He was offered an extension, right. Just not an extension he would accept, but I do agree with you that Lyons should have a very good image of what a successful program is and needs a chance to paint that picture.

Ed's problem was he got lazy. He over-stayed his useful days and just sleep walked his way through the job. I am not sure how he pulled it off with a egotistical narcissist like Mike Parsons drooling to get his job, but he did.

Lyons has made the correct choice and his comments were very well made. He left no doubt how he feels and what he expects. It is his department to call the shots on, he is king of castle and Dana can take his marbles if he don't like it. We have all seen this in the work place. The company wont fire you but they will make you want to quit and save them the expense of the termination. Dana is basically serving out his notice.

Ed's problem was he got lazy. He over-stayed his useful days and just sleep walked his way through the job. I am not sure how he pulled it off with a egotistical narcissist like Mike Parsons drooling to get his job, but he did.

Lyons has made the correct choice and his comments were very well made. He left no doubt how he feels and what he expects. It is his department to call the shots on, he is king of castle and Dana can take his marbles if he don't like it. We have all seen this in the work place. The company wont fire you but they will make you want to quit and save them the expense of the termination. Dana is basically serving out his notice.
I don't disagree that Lyons is letting Dana serve out his notice. I run a fairly good sized company of 250 employees and there is a certain level of employee I've let serve out their notice. But never at Dana's level. I think it's a recipe for all sorts of issues as the year goes along regardless of Dana's potential success or failure. If I knew he wasn't my guy, he'd be gone. Paying the buyout would be a consideration but when things go haywire and attendance goes to hell along with donations and the media begins to jump in and bad mouth all things WVU, the buyout might prove to be a bargain. Letting a high level employee hang around as a lame duck will typically poison the entire organization. Everyone knows they're gone. They know they're gone. They can say or do most anything that doesn't violate their morals clause. Fellow employees take sides. I think it's a rookie mistake. Lyons knows what a great football program LOOKS like thanks to the coach he had and the program as a whole. But WVU ain't Bama in football. But outside football, our athletic program success overall pretty damn good. Let's hope his lack of experience overall doesn't knock the whole department off kilter. Just my opinion obviously, but I think Lyons is way out over his skis right now. I hope it works out as a fan but as a businessman, I'm not impressed at this stage.

I don't disagree that Lyons is letting Dana serve out his notice. I run a fairly good sized company of 250 employees and there is a certain level of employee I've let serve out their notice. But never at Dana's level. I think it's a recipe for all sorts of issues as the year goes along regardless of Dana's potential success or failure. If I knew he wasn't my guy, he'd be gone. Paying the buyout would be a consideration but when things go haywire and attendance goes to hell along with donations and the media begins to jump in and bad mouth all things WVU, the buyout might prove to be a bargain. Letting a high level employee hang around as a lame duck will typically poison the entire organization. Everyone knows they're gone. They know they're gone. They can say or do most anything that doesn't violate their morals clause. Fellow employees take sides. I think it's a rookie mistake. Lyons knows what a great football program LOOKS like thanks to the coach he had and the program as a whole. But WVU ain't Bama in football. But outside football, our athletic program success overall pretty damn good. Let's hope his lack of experience overall doesn't knock the whole department off kilter. Just my opinion obviously, but I think Lyons is way out over his skis right now. I hope it works out as a fan but as a businessman, I'm not impressed at this stage.

Hey Pbody, long time no see. I'm curious, what do you think Lyons should have done that would have impressed you, or at least not raised some kind of alarm.

Maybe Lyons and/or Gee are trying to reel in this nonsense of overpaying coaches that really is getting out of hand. I like DH and hopes he succeeds but he didn't deserve an extension as of right now. Which leads to the dilemma that everyone seems to think is a major problem of "only" having two years left on his contract.

I have a hard time believing that a bunch of 18-year olds really care about what kind of a contract the head coach has. And if a competitor is in his ear about our coach only having those two years then it's our coach's responsibility to get back into his other ear and say, yes, he has TWO years left and maybe more. Depends if we win or not.

It's important for not just recruits but all young people that there are no guarantees in life. Yes, the coaches are certainly important but you commit to the program.

Something does need to be done with this contract extension thing because it is really contributing to schools losing a lot of money having to pay coaches who don't even coach at their school anymore because they overpaid by caving into pressure because of some unwritten rule.

It would be interesting to see how much firing coaches have really cost schools across the country. This is money that could have been put back into the program not to mention academics, which many seem to have forgotten about.

Why is there another thread dedicated to this? Do you need to be sure you're seen?

The question isn't about the extension and what it comprised, but the fact he let it be known it was turned down and negotiations had ceased. He made it appear that either Lyons doesn't like/want Dana or Dana doesn't want to work for Lyons/WVU unless it's the right price. The way you all harp the same tune is a big reason people hate this board.

Paying the buyout would be a consideration but when things go haywire and attendance goes to hell along with donations and the media begins to jump in and bad mouth all things WVU, the buyout might prove to be a bargain. Letting a high level employee hang around as a lame duck will typically poison the entire organization. Everyone knows they're gone. They know they're gone. They can say or do most anything that doesn't violate their morals clause. Fellow employees take sides. I think it's a rookie mistake. Lyons knows what a great football program LOOKS like thanks to the coach he had and the program as a whole. .

WTH is going on that people are now talking about DH "poisoning" WVU football, the coming attacks from the media, and infighting ("taking sides") within the program? Is there something serious happening or is this just Dana hatred to the extreme? Is DH really despised this much that people are worried he'll take a big RR type shiat on the program while still employed?

Lyons is a man of principle. He has shown sound Business judgement in offering DH a fair contract based on his market worth. How many Ceo's at fortune 500 companies would given an employee the keys to fort knox after the results DH has given us. Lyons will make sure that as long as he is AD the university interests will be 1st

Is there anything written showing what each side is demanding/offering? If so, I would like to see it. In fact, do we know anything for certain other than they are no longer negotiating at this time?

How can there be fair criticism without more information?

Why resort to bad analogies when there's already adequate information to form assumptions?

Lyons offered Dana an extension offer, which Dana declined. It's been speculated that part of the offer was the elimination of Dana's current guaranteed income from his running contract. So obviously, Dana isn't giving up millions of dollars for an extension that's merely ceremonial.

After Dana declined, Lyons went public and threw him under the bus (with our whole coaching staff).

So if that's all true, here's what we can infer.

1) The extension was never a serious offer, and Lyons knew Dana would decline. What legitimate offer takes millions of dollars of guarantees off the table?

2) He planned to go public after Dana declined as a way to undermine him.

The problem is Dana called Lyons bluff and said OK, lets just roll the dice on 2016. Now Lyons doesn't look so good.

WTH is going on that people are now talking about DH "poisoning" WVU football, the coming attacks from the media, and infighting ("taking sides") within the program? Is there something serious happening or is this just Dana hatred to the extreme? Is DH really despised this much that people are worried he'll take a big RR type shiat on the program while still employed?
I'm not blasting either party. I'm just telling you all what I've seen as the potential downside of allowing any high level employee to hang around and work off their notice do to speak. I don't know what anyone actually involved is thinking. I'm simply tell you what I've seen happen.in my 30+years as a businessman. Situations like this usually don't turn out well. And I've never even had a situation where the press was involved.

Listen, I hope Dana wins 10+ games,harbors no ill feelings towards the boss that threw him under the bus in the media and signs a new long term deal in Dec. That would thrill me for obvious reasons. But that rarely happens in situations like this. Hurt feelings and bad blood ain't a good mix. Let's just hope I'm full of shit.

I'm not blasting either party. I'm just telling you all what I've seen as the potential downside of allowing any high level employee to hang around and work off their notice do to speak. I don't know what anyone actually involved is thinking. I'm simply tell you what I've seen happen.in my 30+years as a businessman. Situations like this usually don't turn out well. And I've never even had a situation where the press was involved.

Listen, I hope Dana wins 10+ games,harbors no ill feelings towards the boss that threw him under the bus in the media and signs a new long term deal in Dec. That would thrill me for obvious reasons. But that rarely happens in situations like this. Hurt feelings and bad blood ain't a good mix. Let's just hope I'm full of shit.

Exactly. If Lyons can't get rid of him, and WVU and Dana are stuck together.....for better or worse, as they say....why get public and escalate the situation?

I've speculated that Lyons intentions may have been nefarious, but perhaps it's just a gaffe from a guy learning a new job for the first time.

It is reassuring to know that there are so many capable candidates on this board to replace the AD if need be. If only he had ask our advice before starting his negotiations.

Bull. Luck was endlessly attacked, as was EP - but Lyons gets special treatment?

I am not suggesting that he get special treatment, but DH's career has been marked by inconsistency. Hailed as one of the brightest offensive minds in cfb when hired, he has had issues as a HC. There are as many supporters as detractors. Lyons has to deal with this and one way or another it will come to a decision point within the next year. With all the HC openings, this was not the year imo to be shopping for a HC. Lyons job is to do what is in the best interest of wvu. In that role, he cannot make everyone happy no matter what he does. There have been many coaches who have been fired shortly after getting superficial extensions and the recruiting world knows that they do not necessarily insure the longevity of a coach. I actually hope that Dana is successful and is our coach for more than a year. But I believe that with or without DH, wvu will have a stronger program in 3 to 5 years due to Lyons actions.

I am not suggesting that he get special treatment, but DH's career has been marked by inconsistency. Hailed as one of the brightest offensive minds in cfb when hired, he has had issues as a HC. There are as many supporters as detractors. Lyons has to deal with this and one way or another it will come to a decision point within the next year. With all the HC openings, this was not the year imo to be shopping for a HC. Lyons job is to do what is in the best interest of wvu. In that role, he cannot make everyone happy no matter what he does. There have been many coaches who have been fired shortly after getting superficial extensions and the recruiting world knows that they do not necessarily insure the longevity of a coach. I actually hope that Dana is successful and is our coach for more than a year. But I believe that with or without DH, wvu will have a stronger program in 3 to 5 years due to Lyons actions.

Sure, but none of that addresses why Lyons made the decision to go public about the extension talks. How does putting that out for public consumption serve WVU's best interest? It just creates more instability talk and gives our competition more ammo.

Besides, is it just me or does it seem like every major move within the WVU athletic department gets turned into a sideshow?

The talks between Lyons and Dana, or lack thereof, shouldn't have been a story. Lyons made it a story. That makes the whole program look bad.

Only the participants know why it went public at that time and the motives behind it. I am not telling you anything that you don't already know but It is much easier for private corporations to keep negotiations private than public institutions. If there is any interest in a particular public topic, it is or will be widely available at some point in time. Every detail of DH's contract is available on the net so imo it would also seem reasonable that the details of these most recent talks or lack of would also be readily available for both accurate reporting and/or speculation. And I agree that it may make the program look bad in a small way but not nearly as bad as the fiasco that we had when DH was hired and what transpired during his transition from HCIW to HC. Now that was bad and we lived through it.

Agree with Pbody 100%..... Having worked for a Fortune 50 company and with over 4000 employees under my umbrella to sit on the fence is no answer and not good for the team ....University or State.....has any one truly questioned Gee and his hiring of an employee with no AD experience ...an on the job trainee....a wannabee...sounds a little like the hiring of Dana....when we had an experienced candidate from a major university with a WV background waiting on a Gee phone call....sorry Dan....don't let this one bite u in the ass GG....

Only the participants know why it went public at that time and the motives behind it. I am not telling you anything that you don't already know but It is much easier for private corporations to keep negotiations private than public institutions. If there is any interest in a particular public topic, it is or will be widely available at some point in time. Every detail of DH's contract is available on the net so imo it would also seem reasonable that the details of these most recent talks or lack of would also be readily available for both accurate reporting and/or speculation. And I agree that it may make the program look bad in a small way but not nearly as bad as the fiasco that we had when DH was hired and what transpired during his transition from HCIW to HC. Now that was bad and we lived through it.

You mean the actual conversations? No. I wouldn't think so.

"Lyons' job is to do what is in the best interest of WVU". AGREED whole heartedly. However his actions. including, but not not necessarily limited to, going public regarding negotiations with Dana and looking as if the reason was to caste Dana in a bad light, changing policy regarding non-coordinator assistants by only giving them one year contracts and, thus, creating an atmosphere of uncertainty, suspicion and fear, and making adjustments to the terms of Gibby's contract that give rise to unnecessary and, potentially, unwise speculation as to his motives. All this coming as the program is beginning to move ahead in recruiting with the future looking brighter than it has for some time. Seems like a man too 'green' for the job and, thus, learning on the job while be ill prepared to professionally handle the requirements of the job. So, IMO, the job of doing "... what is in the best interest of WVU" leaves much to be desired. Curious that the very personal criticisms of Dana over his tenure are so very evident (If not exaggerated) in the new AD and there seems a desire to deflect them while heaping more criticism on Dana for not accepting the terms of the new contract offering (deemed inadequate by Dana and a perfectly and logically reason for the rejection. As I understand the situation Dana was not the one to make, what should be, the private negotiations public).

Sure, but none of that addresses why Lyons made the decision to go public about the extension talks. How does putting that out for public consumption serve WVU's best interest? It just creates more instability talk and gives our competition more ammo.

Besides, is it just me or does it seem like every major move within the WVU athletic department gets turned into a sideshow?

The talks between Lyons and Dana, or lack thereof, shouldn't have been a story. Lyons made it a story. That makes the whole program look bad.

It certainly seems nearly every major decision/event does turn into a side show - especially the last 10 years. Things like this don't just happen - it's a issue with the culture with-in and around the program. With multiple changes in leadership (AD and president) in that time frame it really makes you wonder what is going on? The only consistent forces/influence during this time would be the BOG and the high level $$ guys?

I can't believe Lyons comment was an accident - he may be new to his role but he has been at a high level at a major program that gets a lot more media attention than we do. He knows how to handle the media. So as you say what did he have to gain by it? Perhaps he knows he want's to replace DH....either due to pressure from the BOG/boosters or a desire to hire his own guy. Next year was better than this year due to availability of candidates and the reduced buyout. If a person were to believe in conspiracy theory they could almost come to the conclusion that Lyons is taking steps to ensure DH is gone at years end. Dropping multi year in favor of short term assistant contracts, dangling a contract extension until after signing day, publicly handicapping DH and staff by announcing no extension would occur.....seems like a very SEC way of doing things....IMO

How about a reality check.

If Dana wins the Big 12, he'd be gone anyway to a richer Big 12 school, with or without the extension. They all leave if they win big: Bowden, Carlen, Rodriguez. Even Don Nehlen was ready to jump ship for Ohio State but the Buckeyes didn't bite.

WVU is saving millions of dollars by NOT offering Dana an extension. It'll be cheaper to fire him. Players know that, if they come to WVU, they have no guarantee that the coach who recruited them will be there as long as they are. Rich, Bowden, Carlen all left players behind. So do coaches all over the country who take higher paying jobs.

I just don't see a down side.

If Dana wins the Big 12 and the national title and leaves, that would be a great tradeoff for WVU. An extension now wouldn't prevent Dana from leaving.

Meanwhile, WVU has Texas Tech and Baylor to beat in basketball, the Big 12 tournament and March Madness. THAT is my #1 priority. Football is a LONG way off.

Reactions: mounty99
You mean the actual conversations? No. I wouldn't think so.
Maybe I missed something. What did Lyons say except that the negotiations have ended and that they would focus on 2016? I can't believe that let the cat out of the bag. Someone would have figured it out and reported it either way.

How about a reality check.

If Dana wins the Big 12, he'd be gone anyway to a richer Big 12 school, with or without the extension. They all leave if they win big: Bowden, Carlen, Rodriguez. Even Don Nehlen was ready to jump ship for Ohio State but the Buckeyes didn't bite.

WVU is saving millions of dollars by NOT offering Dana an extension. It'll be cheaper to fire him. Players know that, if they come to WVU, they have no guarantee that the coach who recruited them will be there as long as they are. Rich, Bowden, Carlen all left players behind. So do coaches all over the country who take higher paying jobs.

I just don't see a down side.

If Dana wins the Big 12 and the national title and leaves, that would be a great tradeoff for WVU. An extension now wouldn't prevent Dana from leaving.

Meanwhile, WVU has Texas Tech and Baylor to beat in basketball, the Big 12 tournament and March Madness. THAT is my #1 priority. Football is a LONG way off.
HEER! HEER!

Maybe I missed something. What did Lyons say except that the negotiations have ended and that they would focus on 2016? I can't believe that let the cat out of the bag. Someone would have figured it out and reported it either way.

LOL - Then let the reporters earn their money.

Even then, it's just speculation and nothing changes...unless Lyons confirms talks ended, which he just did.

"Lyons' job is to do what is in the best interest of WVU". AGREED whole heartedly. However his actions. including, but not not necessarily limited to, going public regarding negotiations with Dana and looking as if the reason was to caste Dana in a bad light, changing policy regarding non-coordinator assistants by only giving them one year contracts and, thus, creating an atmosphere of uncertainty, suspicion and fear, and making adjustments to the terms of Gibby's contract that give rise to unnecessary and, potentially, unwise speculation as to his motives. All this coming as the program is beginning to move ahead in recruiting with the future looking brighter than it has for some time. Seems like a man too 'green' for the job and, thus, learning on the job while be ill prepared to professionally handle the requirements of the job. So, IMO, the job of doing "... what is in the best interest of WVU" leaves much to be desired. Curious that the very personal criticisms of Dana over his tenure are so very evident (If not exaggerated) in the new AD and there seems a desire to deflect them while heaping more criticism on Dana for not accepting the terms of the new contract offering (deemed inadequate by Dana and a perfectly and logically reason for the rejection. As I understand the situation Dana was not the one to make, what should be, the private negotiations public).
Did Lyons come out and say anything derogatory about Dana? If so, I did not see that and would like a reference to it. On another note, Lyons was the assistant AD at one premiere CFB program and was tutored by the best. I think he deserves a chance to put his plan in place and as an alumnus has the programs best interest at heart. Dana is not going to sack the program. If he doesn't perform, he won't have a lot of great offers to choose from. If he does, he may and probably would have been gone anyways.

Agreed. Impact the leader and you impact those beneath that leader in many ways.

You are assuming that the only factors in play are those that have come out so far. Going public with commentary after a failed negotiation can be the consequence of many actions - most of which are not pre-meditated. Commonly though, a smart man will try to get ahead of a story and kill it before it takes on a life of its own.

Imagine, if you will the possible difference in the chain of events had Pastilong got out in front of the shit-storm RR threw at WVU. Again, imagine if Luck beat everyone to the microphone when Stewart was starting his diatribe. Neither Rich nor Bill came out of no where with their feelings in the media. Those feelings were understood before that part of the process got started.

As you say, we do not know what was said during those negotiations between Lyons and Dana, but if they were not completely amicable - and I doubt that they were. Lyons may feel he had good reason for getting his feelings on the matter broadcast. He becomes the defender and Dana becomes the aggressor in the court of public opinion and frankly, the public is pretty much against Dana, so that is a no-win for the coach.

Then too, we have to consider who was Lyons speaking too. Donors and the like hear many stories during such events and often the truth is lost in translation. Lyons can solve a lot of problems and state the situation and how he feels. I applaud this move. It tells this head coach or any future head coach, the AD runs the department and not the head coach of one sport.

You are assuming that the only factors in play are those that have come out so far. Going public with commentary after a failed negotiation can be the consequence of many actions - most of which are not pre-meditated. Commonly though, a smart man will try to get ahead of a story and kill it before it takes on a life of its own.

Imagine, if you will the possible difference in the chain of events had Pastilong got out in front of the shit-storm RR threw at WVU. Again, imagine if Luck beat everyone to the microphone when Stewart was starting his diatribe. Neither Rich nor Bill came out of no where with their feelings in the media. Those feelings were understood before that part of the process got started.

As you say, we do not know what was said during those negotiations between Lyons and Dana, but if they were not completely amicable - and I doubt that they were. Lyons may feel he had good reason for getting his feelings on the matter broadcast. He becomes the defender and Dana becomes the aggressor in the court of public opinion and frankly, the public is pretty much against Dana, so that is a no-win for the coach.

Then too, we have to consider who was Lyons speaking too. Donors and the like hear many stories during such events and often the truth is lost in translation. Lyons can solve a lot of problems and state the situation and how he feels. I applaud this move. It tells this head coach or any future head coach, the AD runs the department and not the head coach of one sport.

From what I see most folks aren't seeing Lyons in a good light. Not because he failed to get the extension, but because he went public afterwards.

If he was attempting what you suggest, there was probably more effective ways of doing it, and of course that's under the assumption he was trying to get ahead of a story.

Nothing wrong with putting your foot down, but you don't want to be seen as working against your own staff either. Smarter ways to prove a point.

Lyons is fine in any light... ...except to those who want to pretend to see what 'most folks' think.

...and then pretend to speak for the masses.

From what I see most folks aren't seeing Lyons in a good light. Not because he failed to get the extension, but because he went public afterwards.

If he was attempting what you suggest, there was probably more effective ways of doing it, and of course that's under the assumption he was trying to get ahead of a story.

Nothing wrong with putting your foot down, but you don't want to be seen as working against your own staff either. Smarter ways to prove a point.

OK, I will follow your thinking if you can point out to me exactly what he said that you found objectionable. I have read everything he said - I think - and commentary from many other sports writers. I can't find anything out of line. What did he say that you think others do not like?

something that was not mentioned and not touched on in these extensive typings,
is the information was "leaked"
intentionally from DH's side, to assure the press and the emotional fan base would pressure the admiration for a undeserved pay raise...

the fans were cheap and easy negotiators

and this venue took it
" hook, line and sinker"...

the same venue who begged for
Terry Bowden

The Athletic directors on this message board that want to continue criticizing Lyons need to show more respect and patience. He didn't get to stay at a holiday inn last night like the rest of you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT