ADVERTISEMENT

I don't know what I hate more

cancer or Alzheimers.

RIP Craig Sager

Damnit

I guess I don't understand how, with all the money raised, that we cannot find a cure for cancer. Then again, the conspiracy people out there claim we could have a cure but won't release it do to "population control".

I guess I don't understand how, with all the money raised, that we cannot find a cure for cancer. Then again, the conspiracy people out there claim we could have a cure but won't release it do to "population control".
We have made a lot of headway on cancer but it still kills way too many.

Cancer changes, one form then another and it will probably never be eradicated.

cancer or Alzheimers.

RIP Craig Sager

Damnit
Really matter little. Like asking which worries you most--having your house on fire or being flooded Or losing your sight or hearing? Neither choice is desirable and, in most cases, very unpleasant. I have had close family die from both cancer and Alzheimers. Neither was pleasant to watch unfold. The Alzheimers was insidious and we watched the gradual deterioration knowing there was nothing that could be done. IN the case of the cancer (Brain Glia Blastoma) the person ran a 5K race in May and died before Thanksgiving after becoming wheel chair confined in late August. UGH to both.

Both cancer and alhziemers are the worst.

I don't want to start a pissing contest over what's worse, but I just visited with a friend at the last football game who has ALS. That shit is awful. Makes me thankful that all I have is failing kidneys.

I don't want to start a pissing contest over what's worse, but I just visited with a friend at the last football game who has ALS. That shit is awful. Makes me thankful that all I have is failing kidneys.
I agree ALS is another horrendous one. I'm sorry to hear about your kidneys. I too suffer from a kidney issue but mine is not to your level.......yet. I'm also suffering from a couple of different problems with my colon and digestive tract but again, I'm not to a level that could be considered life threatening. But the pain and discomfort of all the stuff that can go on with internal organs failing is not fun.

Good luck to you on your Kidney issue, White-tail. I hope for the best.

I agree ALS is another horrendous one. I'm sorry to hear about your kidneys. I too suffer from a kidney issue but mine is not to your level.......yet. I'm also suffering from a couple of different problems with my colon and digestive tract but again, I'm not to a level that could be considered life threatening. But the pain and discomfort of all the stuff that can go on with internal organs failing is not fun.

Good luck to you on your Kidney issue, White-tail. I hope for the best.

Thanks, I appreciate it. As "life threatening" things go, this isn't really all that bad. It does create some other issues, but nothing that isn't manageable. I'm not in constant pain, I can still function physically and think clearly (although there are some that may argue that point :) ) and can still work and all of that stuff. And since alcohol is processed in the liver, I can still have my homebrew. LOL

I'm sorry about your issues as well. Getting old pretty much sucks. :)

Alzheimer's is especially tough on the family and friends. ALS is bad as well. I had an uncle that developed ALS late in life and went downhill very quickly. Tough to watch, especially when he understood and knew what was happening to him and his limitations.

cancer or Alzheimers.

RIP Craig Sager

Damnit
Cancer? I'd fight to the bitter end.

Alzheimers? I'm dying with dignity when I start slipping. I've no desire to ride that slow boat of hell to its conclusion.

Reactions: va87eer
After Craig Sager learned his leukemia had returned and he had a short time to live, he won an ESPY for perseverance and delivered a powerful speech which included...

“Time is something that cannot be bought, it cannot be wagered with God, and it is not in endless supply. Time is simply how you live your life.”

Stewart Scott delivered a similar provoking speech during the ESPY's just prior to his death. Jim Valvano, the same. Each reminded us how valuable life is just as their's was nearing an end.

Cancer? I'd fight to the bitter end.

Alzheimers? I'm dying with dignity when I start slipping. I've no desire to ride that slow boat of hell to its conclusion.
I lost my mom to Alzheimers in 2008. My brothers and I jokingly made a pact with our spouses that we would each buy a cyanide pill and write 'vitamin' on it. And everyday we would carry it around in our pocket. If the day came that we actually thought it was a vitamin, then well, you know what happens next.

Reactions: WhiteTailEER
I lost my mom to Alzheimers in 2008. My brothers and I jokingly made a pact with our spouses that we would each buy a cyanide pill and write 'vitamin' on it. And everyday we would carry it around in our pocket. If the day came that we actually thought it was a vitamin, then well, you know what happens next.
I also lost my mother to Alzheimers in 2007. She started going down hill in the early 90's. Many years of hell.

No way I would argue over this anyway, because I have seen too much, too many friends and family lost, too many missing at the holidays...this is the time of year when all of that stuff hits me and my older me is a lot more sensitive to that sort of thing. It just all sucks.

On the bright side, I made it to 12-16-2016 so that is positive.

Reactions: WVUBRU
Alzheimer's is especially tough on the family and friends. ALS is bad as well. I had an uncle that developed ALS late in life and went downhill very quickly. Tough to watch, especially when he understood and knew what was happening to him and his limitations.
I had a boss of years gone by who died with ALS. Visited him right before he passed. He was good in every way, except both arms were simply dangling like a rope. No muscle power to manage movement at all.

Odd that his older brother died from the same thing just a couple years prior. And Drs. said it was not genetic. Two really good people to associate with. Older had just taken on a new church to pastor, and my boss had just retired with prospects of an extremely good life to look forward too. Plenty resources to follow his own dream. Both died young.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT