ADVERTISEMENT

I blamed Doege

Dec 27, 2017
I’ll admit it. I thought he was the reason and the cause. I feel like I owe that man an apology. It wasn’t him. We all now know who is to blame.

We'd be worse with Doege. Rip on Daniels if you want, but he is clearly better than Doege. WVU had something resembling a pass defense back then.

And at least on of those JT INTs was a meaningless desperation throw at the end. And another hit a WR in the chest (late in the Pitt game).

We'd be worse with Doege. Rip on Daniels if you want, but he is clearly better than Doege. WVU had something resembling a pass defense back then.

And at least on of those JT INTs was a meaningless desperation throw at the end. And another hit a WR in the chest (late in the Pitt game).
Plenty of Doege INT tipped off the finger and through a receivers hands for INT.

Daniel's has shown to be no better than Doege.

Reactions: HotInEER
I’ll admit it. I thought he was the reason and the cause. I feel like I owe that man an apology. It wasn’t him. We all now know who is to blame.

Doege was a symptom, not the cause. He wasn't any good and a competent coach would've moved on from him at the latest by 1/3 of the way into last season. JT lost the starting spot at 2 schools prior to WVU and it wasn't primarily due to injuries like folks want to claim. Which is why I was not super excited for a likely 1 year rental on an oft injured guy 2 schools had little problem replacing. If he was a Grier, he'd have his spot waiting the moment he was healthy again and the fact that he didn't just showed he wasn't a star on that level. I'm honestly less surprised by how much closer he is to Doege than I would be if he were close to Grier.

Any way, another wasted year with a QB who will not take experience and development from this rough season into the next. The predictable pattern of Neal Brown coached teams at WVU persists.

Daniels missed some passes today, but the receivers dropped some catchable passes as well.

I'm honestly less surprised by how much closer he is to Doege than I would be if he were close to Grier.
I am very surprised, even though I wasn't exactly expecting a Heisman finalist. The guy was a 5-star recruit, top-ranked QB in his class, and considering the USC and Georgia offers...yes I think we had a right to expect someone closer to the underlying physical ability of a top-notch passer. When I watch him at the moment it's really really hard to see how so many evaluators ever thought that he was even close to that type of player

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I believe JT is better than Doege, however, what will be curious to see is how much of a mistake it was to bring him in. We have other capable guys on the roster who could have used the year to grow, and, who knows, maybe have a higher ceiling. We brought in Daniels not to be “better than Doege”, we brought him in, I thought, to compete for the conference. Possibly a big mistake, long term, in the qb room by doing so.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I believe JT is better than Doege, however, what will be curious to see is how much of a mistake it was to bring him in. We have other capable guys on the roster who could have used the year to grow, and, who knows, maybe have a higher ceiling. We brought in Daniels not to be “better than Doege”, we brought him in, I thought, to compete for the conference. Possibly a big mistake, long term, in the qb room by doing so.
I suspect if Daniel's returns we will lose two capable QB'S

The argument needs to be made on THIS:

Why isn't Greene getting a look? We are 3-6......would our record have been worse if he had been the starter from Game 1? He at least has the skill level that WVU QB's that have been successful has had.....the ability to scramble and not take sacks.

I am very surprised, even though I wasn't exactly expecting a Heisman finalist. The guy was a 5-star recruit, top-ranked QB in his class, and considering the USC and Georgia offers...yes I think we had a right to expect someone closer to the underlying physical ability of a top-notch passer. When I watch him at the moment it's really really hard to see how so many evaluators ever thought that he was even close to that type of player

I can understand the optimism, but multiple 5 star recruits do not pan out. Maybe he did get stuck in a situation like Jalen Hurts was at Alabama with Tua. However I highly doubted he was unluckily enough to be in that situation twice. I definitely thought he was going to better than Doege, but I was all but sure he would not be another Grier. Hence I'm not all that surprised he is more like Brad Lewis than the aforementioned Grier.

I feel like JT has always been inflated production. 6-0at Geor
The argument needs to be made on THIS:

Why isn't Greene getting a look? We are 3-6......would our record have been worse if he had been the starter from Game 1? He at least has the skill level that WVU QB's that have been successful has had.....the ability to scramble and not take sacks.
this guy is the reason for the transfer portal. Wasted his career under Neal Brown.

I can understand the optimism, but multiple 5 star recruits do not pan out. Maybe he did get stuck in a situation like Jalen Hurts was at Alabama with Tua. However I highly doubted he was unluckily enough to be in that situation twice. I definitely thought he was going to better than Doege, but I was all but sure he would not be another Grier. Hence I'm not all that surprised he is more like Brad Lewis than the aforementioned Grier.
But they pan out at a higher rate than lower-end players. Usually you only get rated that highly when the physical gifts are obvious and overwhelming. Then if players of that inherent talent don't pan out, it's most often because 1) They can't stay healthy or 2) They are immature, uncoachable knuckleheads who never developed the work ethic due to coasting on physical ability at lower levels.

In the case of Daniels, there are not obvious and overwhelming physical tools which makes you wonder how so many people saw him as being in that class of player. However, the fact that two of those 5-star factory type schools moved on from him after injuries told me not to expect the world...but he still should've been better than this. It's a huge miss by multiple talent evaluators at places where they excel at that sort of thing.

Are you familiar with the 20-80 scouting scale they use in baseball, where 50 is average? I certainly wasn't expecting a Major Harris 80 at the very top, but I thought Daniels would at least be an above average 55-60. Instead, he's been closer to a below average 40-45.

My gosh! How could so many people be so wrong all the time.

Daniels IS as good as what everyone claims. The reason he isn't here is because he has nobody to throw to.

Every one of our receivers is a "backup" receiver. They are all slow, all can be covered man-to-man by nearly every corner or safety in this league. None require a double-team. None can get separation, and none can catch the ball reliably enough to worry about defensively.

How good would Daniels be if he had a receiver that didn't have a defender draped all over him? If he had a Worthy or Hutchison or Mims to throw to? You certainly wouldn't be comparing him to Doege.

Instead, every pass has to be precisely timed and on target, and if you're throwing to Sam James that still may not be enough. Add to the fact there is essentially no running game now, what else is he supposed to do?

You folks have no clue of what talent is. You rank people like a grandmother ranks her grandchildren - emotionally while ignoring the facts like they are drug dealers, serial rapists, and murderers sitting in a prison somewhere.

Sometimes you just have to realize what's true - some people aren't very talented at their job - and that brings the whole organization down with it.

But they pan out at a higher rate than lower-end players. Usually you only get rated that highly when the physical gifts are obvious and overwhelming. Then if players of that inherent talent don't pan out, it's most often because 1) They can't stay healthy or 2) They are immature, uncoachable knuckleheads who never developed the work ethic due to coasting on physical ability at lower levels.

In the case of Daniels, there are not obvious and overwhelming physical tools which makes you wonder how so many people saw him as being in that class of player. However, the fact that two of those 5-star factory type schools moved on from him after injuries told me not to expect the world...but he still should've been better than this. It's a huge miss by multiple talent evaluators at places where they excel at that sort of thing.

Are you familiar with the 20-80 scouting scale they use in baseball, where 50 is average? I certainly wasn't expecting a Major Harris 80 at the very top, but I thought Daniels would at least be an above average 55-60. Instead, he's been closer to a below average 40-45.

I understand the reasons you mentioned for being optimistic and I'm not saying it was irrational to come to your conclusion. I just recognize that it is much more based upon conjecture and potential. Where as the objective reality is that he lost the starting job at 2 schools. Injuries almost never result in losing the starting job if the player is playing to the caliber expected of a 5 star recruit. The fact that it happened TWICE told me that JT was most likely not the great talent that would elevate the team around him like Grier or Geno. Again, JT is good and definitely better than Doege. I just did not expect him to elevate the offense when taking over for Doege like Grier did taking over for Howard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT