ADVERTISEMENT

I believe Dana is changing tactics

atlkvb

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2004
on the "air raid" but not necessarily his overall philosophy. I still think he believes in spreading the Offense out, and getting the ball to as many play makers as possible in a fast-paced quick tempo pass oriented Offense.

However I think he also wants more ball control--pacing rather than flat out rapid fire snaps and to compliment that Offense he prefers a smothering Defense. If you look at how he's allocated resources to that side of the ball in the five seasons he's been here I think he's reached the conclusion that his spread option attack doesn't work as well without a Defense that can play keep away and slow the clock down.

He wants a Defense that forces turnovers, puts maximum pressure on passers--and is relentless pursuing runners side line to sideline. He also wants a big physical presence in the secondary, with ball hawks who have tremendous closing speed on the ball. He doesn't want to play all out smash mouth, but I think he really doesn't mind mixing it up in the trenches on either side of the ball. Especially on Offense, when ball control and short yardage can mean putting a team away late in the 4th qtr....I think he prefers a pound-and-ground attack.

If you look at what he and Seider are saying about how often Smallwood and Shell will be "featured" in this Offense...look at how Galloway is stressing the fact that our runners MUST be able to block and catch the ball...our emphasis on down field blocking--the tactics make sense.

Gibby was brought in to install a Defense that plays field position and can take advantage forcing turnovers and difficult down and distance options for the opposition. I think we'll continue to see a very aggressive blitzing Defense especially on 1st and second downs, with maximum pressure brought on 3rd downs to force teams into giving up field position so the Offense can get back to work. Dana was probably a little less Defensive minded when he first got here, preferring instead to just run teams ragged. But I think his second season here was a wake up call to concentrate on the Defensive side, and their lack of ability to slow anyone down convinced him that with solid performers over there, his Offense can be more effective.

Reactions: spot the ball
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News