ADVERTISEMENT

Huge off season for Huggs

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Just anecdotally, I have never before heard of so many complaints about the state of the basketball program. If those that I have spoken with are representative of the general fan base, and that is a big if, then fans are losing confidence in Huggs. He has to bring in players with pedigree to restore excitement and confidence in the program. Finishing last two times in the last 4 years is not what fans expect. I don't think Huggs loses the confidence of the big money donors (so Lyons has no power over Huggs) but the average fan is different. It is a credit to those fans that our attendance was good this year given the product we put on the floor.

This off season is the biggest for Huggs since he came to WVU. 4 years ago when we finished last, we played a lot of very young players with promise which gave the fans hope. This year, we are senior laden. And I suspect everyone heard Huggs' comments about the portal, which does not inspire confidence. Over the past 5 years, we have seen Baylor, TT and UT pass us (KU has always been better) and we are on par with OU (we have 11 more losses than wins in the BIg 12 over this period and OU has 9 more losses). Just my opinion, but I think we need to hit a homerun in the portal or get some acclaimed Juco or HS players to get the fans excited about next year and restore confidence in Huggs. And more importantly, play much better.

I know that no one wants to succeed more than Huggs for the state and the University. He will go all out. He has done it before. Can he do it again? This is his toughest challenge yet, imho. If Huggs does shake up his staff, I would have more confidence. I certainly don't want to see this legend go out the way that a Bobby Knight did. Go get em Huggs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News