ADVERTISEMENT

How upset with Lyons will you be if any contract with Dana has a ridiculous buyout clause

The buyout clause should be at least $20M. Remember, Texas gave Strong $10M out da door money.

Shane could have locked Dana up for a lot less last season but he tried to play games and Dana has him over a barrel now.

Shane could have locked Dana up for a lot less last season but he tried to play games and Dana has him over a barrel now.

Ha. No.

Apparently, no one else wants dana in the p5. Lyons is too smart to go by one season against weak opponents. And you can't forget that Gibson gets most of the credit for the wins this year

Reactions: Rootmaster
There only 10 - 15 or so schools that wouldn't fire their coach today to hire DH.

LSU just hired Ed O and his coaching record is abysmal, so the pickins are slim.

I don't expect you to give the man his kudos, but lets be real; it's long overdue.

Reactions: AirForceer
Ha. No.

Apparently, no one else wants dana in the p5. Lyons is too smart to go by one season against weak opponents. And you can't forget that Gibson gets most of the credit for the wins this year
So you are saying Dana only gets credit for the losses? He hired Gibby so he gets credit for that.

Funny how programs like BYU, Missouri, K State, Texas and TCU are considered "weak opponents" now that WVU has wins over them.

WVU 9-2 and 2 wins away from a 11 win season while ranked.

#Dealwithit

I hope Holg's takes Lyons to the woodshed on this next deal. Lyons deserves it after last season.

Funny how programs like BYU, Missouri, K State, Texas and TCU are considered "weak opponents" now that WVU has wins over them.

WVU 9-2 and 2 wins away from a 11 win season while ranked.

#Dealwithit
What exactly are the records of the teams you just mentioned?

There are a lot of schools with a worse SOS that ain't looking at a 9-2 or better record like us. Our wins included some good, mediocre and poor teams and our losses were to some very good teams. The only thing that the coach can do is play the scheduled games and try to win. Everyone knows that Dana has shown improvement and he hired the defensive coordinator who gets credit for all wins but passes on the losses (I am not bashing Gibson here, imho, he is an excellent coach but he works for the HC). Dana deserves a competitive contract. The future looks brighter than it has for years. I agreed with Lyons actions last year but it is time to give him his due with a good contract. Lyons has to offer a contract that the market dictates in order to keep him. Why is that so hard to deal with?

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I bet Lyons is smart enough to give WVU an out

0mRAk.png

What exactly are the records of the teams you just mentioned?
BYU is about 10 points from being a 10-win team. We had that game in hand until we decided to play keep away with way too much time left.

Youngstown is a decent FCS team.

Missouri still was abysmal on offense but their defense was as advertised, and we still won by 15.

Conference schedule we are 6-2 currently. We are 1-1 against Manning finalists. Limit our mistakes and we could be 10-1, very slim chance even 11-0 right now. No one is saying the Big XII is good this year, but you all comparing it to Big East teams or other such nonsense are just doing so to fit your agenda. 9 wins in the Big XII is still a major accomplishment over 9 wins in the Big Least.

Reactions: JoePaEer
There only 10 - 15 or so schools that wouldn't fire their coach today to hire DH.

LSU just hired Ed O and his coaching record is abysmal, so the pickins are slim.

I don't expect you to give the man his kudos, but lets be real; it's long overdue.
While I'm not sure quite that many schools would fire their coach to hire him, I agree that DH has done a good job this year and certainly deserving of a contract extension at this point. I do not believe he was at this point last season. As for the original post about a buyout, I would expect the buyout clause to be in line with what most big time schools put in their coaches contracts.

While I'm not sure quite that many schools would fire their coach to hire him, I agree that DH has done a good job this year and certainly deserving of a contract extension at this point. I do not believe he was at this point last season. As for the original post about a buyout, I would expect the buyout clause to be in line with what most big time schools put in their coaches contracts.

Dana was at the low end of buyouts & some WVU fans were losing their minds over that. Our fans have ZERO clue how much money it takes to run a major college football program these days. They are still living in the early 1990's & think we can pass a hat around to pay for coaches/facilities etc.

For better or worse, money has taken over college football (money was always the driving factor, but now it is the only factor) & we either try to keep up, or we become Marshall. In fact, Doc's buyout is actually more than Dana's right now prior to the new extension being in place. That's flat out embarrassing & our fans were losing their mind believing that it was way too high. SMH.

You're going to have to pay a LOT of money for a coach these days. And it doesn't matter what YOU think the coach deserves. This applies whether it's Dana or someone else. The days of paying coaches $250,000 or even a couple million per year (with very little buyout) along with doing handshake deals are long gone. Some of our fans need to move on from that mentality.

Having said that, Dana deserves to feel some love. You can subjectively downplay the schedule all you want, but our SOS is ranked higher this season that at any time when WVU was in the Big East from 2004-2011 according to Sagarin. Dana already has 9 wins with a chance to win 2 more. Pay that man his money. Thankfully, it looks like we have already paid him with an announcement coming soon.

Ha. No.

Says the guy who takes a bus to work because he's a habitual offender.

Does paper ever get anything correct?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/search-firm-oregon-hire-replace-mark-helfrich/story?id=43863821

EXCERPT:

The candidates?

West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen: He has the stuff we've been talking about. A guy who has had so much success but is going to have a hard time making the playoff. He has the personality, he has the pedigree, he has been a head coach. -- Jennings

I think Dana would be a good fit at Oregon. He's an offensive-minded coach. He has strong ties to Texas. He's got about everything he can get out of West Virginia, and for some people, that's still not enough. They expect him to compete with Oklahoma and Texas, and yet he's far behind in terms of facilities and coaching salaries and everything else. He's isolated from the rest of the league. He'd take the job for sure. -- Schlabach

He would jump at it. - Low

Recruiting would be pretty similar, too. He's used to going into Florida, he's used to going into Texas. It's not like West Virginia is crawling with a bunch of recruits. -- McKinney

END EXCERPT

Alabama is the only unbeaten Power 5 team in the country.

Ohio State, Clemson and Washington each has 1 loss.

Those are the ONLY Power 5 teams with better records than my alma mater in the country.

That’s good enough to make me thrilled about a 9-2 season, maybe 10-2 after Saturday’s Baylor game, and maybe 11-2 after the bowl game. And looking forward to 41 to 38 degree temperature in Mountaineer Field.

I’ll leave contracts talks to Dana, his agent, Lyons. I’m just enjoying the season.

A lot more than the other 6-0 start Big 12 team, Baylor, by the way. 5 losses in a row. Maybe 6 after Saturday. Now Bears fans know how Mountaineer fans felt going from 5-0 and national top 5 to 7-6. It hurts … badly. Bigly, even.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
a lot, right?
How much is your buyout? Just throw out a number for all of us...but don't get too greedy ...be realistic ok?
I will happily donate 5 bucks to your cause (extrication) from here maybe even 10 to 20...to the board...let's all give this one a solid effort! This reward is well worth it!

a lot, right?
That depends on the definition of ridiculous? I am sure your number is anything over 100k a year, being the Dana hater you are.

I expect the buyout to be written similar to other P5 HC contracts across the country, which if I am not mistaken is at or near full value of contract less incentives. If it is below standard, would show recruits WVU doesn't believe in him, and would harm recruiting.

One of the sticking points to contract negotiations last winter, is Shane wanting to greatly lower the buyout along with the extension. Holgs, declined, and probably added a big FU along with it.

How much is your buyout? Just throw out a number for all of us...but don't get too greedy ...be realistic ok?
I will happily donate 5 bucks to your cause (extrication) from here maybe even 10 to 20...to the board...let's all give this one a solid effort! This reward is well worth it!

Won't be enough for him to buy alcohol and wander the narrow concourse.

Reactions: torontoeers
But Paper assured us all this was dana's last season at WVU............. said it for over a year
Lyons told Dana to go out and find a contract to figure out his worth and the only deal he could get was a non P5 offer. No P5 school has offered Dana a job. None!

I am not, and have not been, a big fan of HC DH....but I give him credit for turning his own ship around. First the hiring of his DC and then move to a more balanced offense are big indicators of a first time HC showing some real world experience. It is a kudo for him to take WVU back to its hard ass roots and traditional RB approach and achieving success with the change. Some coaches never venture out of their comfort bubble...he has.Seems he has become more of a Mountaineer. Good for him. This season's record is an achievement. Don't buy into the weak schedule crap. All things run in cycles. This said, I also don't put too much stock in this year. To be paid a Kings ransom as some on this board think...should be based on consistent success. He has bought time to show that consistency but the Brinks truck should park at the corner for a while IMO. Also, hope that any new contract isn't a one sided debacle like the one OL gave him. Go Mountaineers!

I am not, and have not been, a big fan of HC DH....but I give him credit for turning his own ship around. First the hiring of his DC and then move to a more balanced offense are big indicators of a first time HC showing some real world experience. It is a kudo for him to take WVU back to its hard ass roots and traditional RB approach and achieving success with the change. Some coaches never venture out of their comfort bubble...he has.Seems he has become more of a Mountaineer. Good for him. This season's record is an achievement. Don't buy into the weak schedule crap. All things run in cycles. This said, I also don't put too much stock in this year. To be paid a Kings ransom as some on this board think...should be based on consistent success. He has bought time to show that consistency but the Brinks truck should park at the corner for a while IMO. Also, hope that any new contract isn't a one sided debacle like the one OL gave him. Go Mountaineers!
I actually think Dana looks more relaxed since Ollie is out the door, and I get the impression that maybe Nehlen talks to him in terms of growing into the job. Hence running the ball more.

Lyons told Dana to go out and find a contract to figure out his worth and the only deal he could get was a non P5 offer. No P5 school has offered Dana a job. None!

lol..................... there's that "insider" Charleston lawyer buddy, feedin you the goooooods

Dana was at the low end of buyouts & some WVU fans were losing their minds over that. Our fans have ZERO clue how much money it takes to run a major college football program these days. They are still living in the early 1990's & think we can pass a hat around to pay for coaches/facilities etc.

For better or worse, money has taken over college football (money was always the driving factor, but now it is the only factor) & we either try to keep up, or we become Marshall. In fact, Doc's buyout is actually more than Dana's right now prior to the new extension being in place. That's flat out embarrassing & our fans were losing their mind believing that it was way too high. SMH.

You're going to have to pay a LOT of money for a coach these days. And it doesn't matter what YOU think the coach deserves. This applies whether it's Dana or someone else. The days of paying coaches $250,000 or even a couple million per year (with very little buyout) along with doing handshake deals are long gone. Some of our fans need to move on from that mentality.

Having said that, Dana deserves to feel some love. You can subjectively downplay the schedule all you want, but our SOS is ranked higher this season that at any time when WVU was in the Big East from 2004-2011 according to Sagarin. Dana already has 9 wins with a chance to win 2 more. Pay that man his money. Thankfully, it looks like we have already paid him with an announcement coming soon.
I have no issues with paying him. I was talking about the buyout. It should also be very high, as it would be for any other big time program. That protects both him and the school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT