ADVERTISEMENT

How about Bo Pelini next WVU HC?

I read that Kliff Kingsberry is in mix at Houston as well...won’t it be funny if all this was for nothing lmao

I want Brett Ventables who can do both I like the fiery guy that players like I’ve said but I don’t know if he’d come or not. If I was hiring I’d want a fiery guy that can recruit in our natural recruiting grounds.... someone young and energetic...

Brent Venables has to be kept on a leash like a dog during the Clemson games. A grown man acting like a child over a stinking kids game. He runs out on the field and a couple of Clemson ' Venables handlers' pull him back. What a joke. Warez

Reactions: Darth_VadEER
Brent Venables has to be kept on a leash like a dog during the Clemson games. A grown man acting like a child over a stinking kids game. He runs out on the field and a couple of Clemson ' Venables handlers' pull him back. What a joke. Warez

He’s earning his money.

No.....

He shouldn't have never taken the job.

He will be forced to play JT Daniels.
He is already on the hot seat because he hinted that JT may not be the QB.

You wonder if that was a Lynn Swann hire or actually Helton because Helton seat is already hot....

You wonder if that was a Lynn Swann hire or actually Helton because Helton seat is already hot....

That was a hire by the boosters.

Funny thing is Clay Helton is a UH alum.
His Dad is Kim Helton former coach at UH.

But the people behind the scene were upstaged last year when Casey Wasserman hired Chip Kelly out of his own pocket.

SC feels threatened.
Helton was forced to fire everyone.

Swann is just a puppet.
All of these ADs are SC guys but they are controlled by the boosters.

Reactions: wvufootball2006
What is your opinion of Luke Fickel. I have heard his name mentioned. What type of and offense does he run?
I think highly of him...as a person, recruiter, former D-Lineman, and defensive coach. However, he really struggled as the Buckeyes' interim head coach in 2011. He wasn't ready to be a head coach at the time, but has done much better at Cincinnati. I haven't watched Cincinnati this season, so I am not familiar with his offense. Given his background as a defensive player and coach, I would expect him to turn his offense over to whomever he would hire as offensive coordinator. Ohio State's linebackers were much better when he was coaching them than they are now, so he knows what he's doing on the defensive side of the ball.

Frank Solich is the Anti Christ to those people...

They live in delusions.
Nebraska without the Big 8 would be just another team.
They got by in the 60's to 1995 because they could build a program and in a bad year only lose 2 games.
Oklahoma was there only true challenge.

They could not compete with the SWC and the talent in Texas.
The Big XII proved this.

But ..

Bo Pelini was getting them back to being able to get over the hump.

He was like someone that was swinging an axe at a tree.
It was going to come down sooner or later.
You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Speaking as a Nebraska fan through the Bo Era....

He is a very good defensive mind especially for the Big 12. His personal background is in the secondary. He has always had the ability to spot talent there and develop it at a high level. Iirc we were always in the top tier in pass defense.

His scheme on defense for rush defense isn't very good when he doesn't have superior athletes upfront. By superior I mean NFL dudes and by not very good I mean......

To be fair I felt he was a very good developer, but his downfall was in organization in recruiting. He would basically get a few commits before and during the season then you would see him in a mad dash to fill up a class. Sometimes he found diamonds and sometimes he found a bunch of trash. Because of this we found ourselves very thin at times.. We started a ton of walk ons who were good reserves or second team guys, but should not be starting.

What really did him in was when we hired Eichorst to replace Osborne as AD. He was hired with the intention to fire Bo and hire his replacement. The rumors started going and his recruiting took a huge hit. This ended up killing Riley, along with a bunch of other things, but that's another post. Felt this was a big mess when they did it. I always feel you should set people under you for a chance to succeed.

Honestly good coach who finds ways to win games just never could win a big one.

Big time players coach. Also you will find his team will take his personality. By this I mean they can be playing a very good game, 1 bad thing happens and they fold like a cheap tent.

He might have matured some and become more organized. He also struggled with living in the fish bowl of Lincoln Nebraska.

That's my 2 cents on his time.

Reactions: 94husker and HCSF18
Speaking as a Nebraska fan through the Bo Era....

He is a very good defensive mind especially for the Big 12. His personal background is in the secondary. He has always had the ability to spot talent there and develop it at a high level. Iirc we were always in the top tier in pass defense.

His scheme on defense for rush defense isn't very good when he doesn't have superior athletes upfront. By superior I mean NFL dudes and by not very good I mean......

To be fair I felt he was a very good developer, but his downfall was in organization in recruiting. He would basically get a few commits before and during the season then you would see him in a mad dash to fill up a class. Sometimes he found diamonds and sometimes he found a bunch of trash. Because of this we found ourselves very thin at times.. We started a ton of walk ons who were good reserves or second team guys, but should not be starting.

What really did him in was when we hired Eichorst to replace Osborne as AD. He was hired with the intention to fire Bo and hire his replacement. The rumors started going and his recruiting took a huge hit. This ended up killing Riley, along with a bunch of other things, but that's another post. Felt this was a big mess when they did it. I always feel you should set people under you for a chance to succeed.

Honestly good coach who finds ways to win games just never could win a big one.

Big time players coach. Also you will find his team will take his personality. By this I mean they can be playing a very good game, 1 bad thing happens and they fold like a cheap tent.

He might have matured some and become more organized. He also struggled with living in the fish bowl of Lincoln Nebraska.

That's my 2 cents on his time.
Watching those highlights still makes my blood boil. The all time NCAA single game rushing record was against Nebraska, not South Dakota School of the Blind, but the Nebraska Cornhuskers. But every single game with any national exposure was the same, embarrassing. I still have nightmares about all the talking heads at ESPN snickering after every one of these. Any time something went wrong it would snowball out of control and no adjustments were ever made. Pelini did well when he had Suh and all the other guys Callahan recruited, but when those guys were gone, just as at Youngstown State when all the guys who transferred there from Nebraska with Pelini were gone, it was going downhill fast.

Last edited:
No! No, no, no, nooooo... Saw how he did with Nebraska when I lived there and we definitely do not want him as a head coach. I would go as far as to say I wouldn't want him as a D-Coord either.

Reactions: forNU
If fans here want to be relevant we have to hire someone who can recruit. And I’ve read about wanting to go back to power football. Even Nick Saban has went way more tempo 10 years ago he said how dangerous tempo was lol. Top 5 programs in the nation all run spread in some form or fashion. Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, ohio state. LSU try’s to run power ball and they get 5 star kids and can’t win the sec and y’all think we can. Psht...

Nebraska doing so much better at 4-8 instead of 9 and 10 win seasons.

Nebraska has 11 9+ win seasons since 2001.
Pelini has 7 of them
Solich has 2
Riley has 1
Callahan has 1
Frost has 0

All coaches since Osborne had a season with less than 9 wins except Pelini

I used to be a Nebraska fan but since they started losing their fans have turned nasty and place blame on everyone except Nebraska.
The way they treated Pelini made me jump ship.
Especially their internet fans.

He finished every year at Nebraska with at least 9 wins.
Only person to do this at Nebraska for 7 years straight at Nebraska since Tom Osborne.
Four other coaches have failed.
Took over Nebraska that was a mess and won 9 games.
Didn't go 4-8 like Scott Frost.

Your defense of Pelini is one-dimensional, and as a Nebraska fan, I'll just tell you that he was a good coordinator who didn't embrace the role of a head coach and rarely saw past the defensive of the ball.

He had the poorest relationships with fans, alums, administrators and media that I've ever witnessed from a head coach. That's four pretty critical stakeholders for any football program, not to mention his chronic sideline and presser meltdowns.

He was stubborn to a fault and despite 9-win seasons, he couldn't win any big games when they mattered. I wouldn't recommend him to any Power 5 program.

Solich is the scapegoat...

You hear it when Scott Frost throws Red Meat to the fanbase..
He wants to get back to Nebraska football...

Solich was Osborne's right hand man.
Osborne is a coward to me. He took off because his county scholarships and Prop 48 partial qualifiers ended in the Big XII.

He left Solich holding the bag.

Pelini never threw Red Meat.
This is why I think Frost may not be the coach to turn around Nebraska.
They need someone to kick the lid up and bring reality to Nebraska .

You know next to nothing about the Osborne transition to Solich. Osborne never wanted to retire, why would you after going 60-3 in a five year stretch?

He promised the job to Solich several years before and wanted to stick to that commitment, so he walked away. The cupboard was far from bare and Nebraska played in a national championship game 3 years after Solich took over.

So this nonsense about Prop 48s and other drivel is just that.
Frank Solich is the Anti Christ to those people...

They live in delusions.
Nebraska without the Big 8 would be just another team.
They got by in the 60's to 1995 because they could build a program and in a bad year only lose 2 games.
Oklahoma was there only true challenge.

They could not compete with the SWC and the talent in Texas.
The Big XII proved this.

But ..

Bo Pelini was getting them back to being able to get over the hump.

He was like someone that was swinging an axe at a tree.
It was going to come down sooner or later.

I've only read 5 of your posts in this thread, but you are truly the most misinformed critic of Nebraska football that I've ever observed. At least have some facts and accurate history at your disposal if you're trying to support a biased opinion.

The problem with Pelini didn't start until a few years into his career.
He wasn't a coach to revoke the glory days of Nebraska football. He didn't tell people Nebraska was great because they are not.

They won't be until the fanbases realizes the reality of 2018.

Nebraska doing so much better at 4-8 instead of 9 and 10 win seasons.

Nebraska has 11 9+ win seasons since 2001.
Pelini has 7 of them
Solich has 2
Riley has 1
Callahan has 1
Frost has 0

All coaches since Osborne had a season with less than 9 wins except Pelini
He wasn't a coach to revoke the glory days of Nebraska football. He didn't tell people Nebraska was great because they are not.
You mean after a few years of Pelini interviewing for every big job available and trashing the fans (who give a ton to the university) every time we would leave in the 4th quater of yet another blowout. The nine wins wasn't the problem, It was the public perception with the blowouts and blowups on the sideline that ultimately cost Pelini. We went 4-8 this year and it is Zhen compared to the 9 win seasons under Pelini.

You mean Scott Frost telling people Nebraska was better than Purdue and losing.

How about getting manhandled in the Big House.
Truth is you are drinking the Scott Frost Kool aid. He has a grace period because he is the Golden son returning home.

At the end of the day this grace period will end and Scott Frost will get his name ran through the mud.
For what.
Because he returned home and left a lot better opportunities on the table .

The mere presence of Nebraska fans on this board speaks to their distain for Bo Pelini...

More than that it speaks to what type of fans they are.

You don't go out of your way to trash ex coaches no matter how horrible they are .
It is classless.

You mean after a few years of Pelini interviewing for every big job available and trashing the fans (who give a ton to the university) every time we would leave in the 4th quater of yet another blowout. The nine wins wasn't the problem, It was the public perception with the blowouts and blowups on the sideline that ultimately cost Pelini. We went 4-8 this year and it is Zhen compared to the 9 win seasons under Pelini.

Do you support Scott Frost accusing a CU player of purposely injuring a Nebraska player..

The entire would was laughing.
No one outside of Lincoln thought that your QB was purposely being injured .
Your coach stuck with his narrative.

The PAC 12 nor did CU punish the player because your claims were false.

Let me tell you the name of a coach that's available to coach at WVU for the next 5 years. Dana Holgorsen. Does that name ring a bell? He is about as good as WV can get but he doesn't come cheap at $3.7 Million a year. That ain't chump change. Warez

Reactions: Darth_VadEER

Only assuming you meant invoke. Regardless, clearly never a Nebraska fan. Yes,the problem with Pelini started a few years into his career. Shockingly, that’s when Suh, Denard, Haag, Crick, etc, all long time NFL players graduated. No Nebraska wasn’t/ isn’t great, then or now, but we’re certainly on a more positive trajectory than we’ve been for 20 years. As for WVU, given your lineage, you deserve a hell of a lot more than that vile, foul mouthed cretin. There is a reason he’s a mediocre FCS coach. If he could coach at an FBS level he’d be coaching at an FBS level.

Reactions: 94husker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT