ADVERTISEMENT

Houston Chronicle: UH to meet Sunday to discuss Holgerson's future

I never understood why Houston hired Holgorsen and paid him what they did. Holgorsen showed time and time again at Wvu that he couldn't consistently get over the Hump. There were quite a few times when it appeared we may be on the verge of turning the corner only for him to choke it away. Those coaching traits follow you regardless of your address.

Reactions: WVUBRU
Houston isn't on the level that WVU is, and they learned that. Holgs had more talent, resources, and a better overall program from top to bottom to work with at WVU. If houston wants to compete in the B12 they need to hire a program builder. Holgs ain't it. Good OC, exciting brand of football, but not what houston needs. Holgerson was wrong about WVU. It is a desirable place to coach and play and could be the kind of program to become top tier with the right coach.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Houston isn't on the level that WVU is, and they learned that. Holgs had more talent, resources, and a better overall program from top to bottom to work with at WVU. If houston wants to compete in the B12 they need to hire a program builder. Holgs ain't it. Good OC, exciting brand of football, but not what houston needs. Holgerson was wrong about WVU. It is a desirable place to coach and play and could be the kind of program to become top tier with the right coach.
I think Holgorsen lost his job over the last 3 weeks. He goes to Baylor gets the win on the road. I know Baylor was bad this year but for a 1st year Big 12 team I give them credit. It was a winnable game, and they came out on top. Then he comes home against a two-win Cincinatti team, and he gets stomped. Probably one of the worst performances I have seen. They put up a spirited effort against Oklahoma State but where was that when they needed it against Cincinatti. Then he ends up losing against UCF to finish the season. The last three weeks pretty much summed up Holgorsen's coaching career. Just when you think momentum might be building, he ends up squandering it. I think the Houston admin had just come to the conclusion that this guy was never going to produce the level of consistency needed to build a better than average program. They learned what we learned that the only thing Holgorsen was consistent at was being inconsistent. Not sure why they couldn't figure that out before they hired him.

Last edited:
Oklahoma is in need of a new OC, does Venables go out and tab him as their new OC? Does he have the humility to be an OC again or just stay as a HC only?

Oklahoma is in need of a new OC, does Venables go out and tab him as their new OC? Does he have the humility to be an OC again or just stay as a HC only?
Is Venables going to be HC at OU next year? Fans are not happy with him. Holgorsen either becomes an OC or drops down to G5 perhaps even FCS.

If he was smart he would just collect his pay and stay unemployed for the moment.

Is Venables going to be HC at OU next year? Fans are not happy with him. Holgorsen either becomes an OC or drops down to G5 perhaps even FCS.

If he was smart he would just collect his pay and stay unemployed for the moment.
While you’re correct in your assessment he won’t get much interest as a HC in the P5, you will be surprised at the amount of interest he will get as OC. If that is what he chooses of course

"Make no mistake about it: we are here to win championships."

On his view from moving from the Big 12 to the American Athletic Conference

"I really don't think a lot about it if I'm being honest with you. My job is to make wherever I'm at the best I can make it. Let's not forget, I did transition a team that was a Power 5 school, which back eight or nine years ago, you didn't even talk about that way. We were in the Big East which doesn't even exist now from a football perspective.

On how important the resources were to hire staff
"It was critical. I can assure you I'm better at running a football program now than I was eight years ago, but running a football program is like running a large organization. You have to hire a lot of people to be able to build a program the right way. You have to have money to be able to do it. I feel really good about the assistant coaches that I have contacted and talked to already. We're bringing in big time football coaches that have been at big time places and understand what it takes to be to treat the student-athletes the right way.

On being able to recruit in Texas
"It's important because this state means a lot to me. The high school football in this state is the best in the country. Being on the east coast, I recruited from other states and other areas more so than when I was here the first time. Nobody does it better than the state of Texas. With the resources, with the way they pay the coaches, the facilities, the practice time, nobody does it better. It's the best state and city to be able to recruit because of how things work like that. I'm excited about that, and I can't wait to reconnect with a lot of the high school football coaches, especially here in Houston.

Dwight-False.jpg

Reactions: WESTBGVA
"Make no mistake about it: we are here to win championships."

On his view from moving from the Big 12 to the American Athletic Conference

"I really don't think a lot about it if I'm being honest with you. My job is to make wherever I'm at the best I can make it. Let's not forget, I did transition a team that was a Power 5 school, which back eight or nine years ago, you didn't even talk about that way. We were in the Big East which doesn't even exist now from a football perspective.

On how important the resources were to hire staff
"It was critical. I can assure you I'm better at running a football program now than I was eight years ago, but running a football program is like running a large organization. You have to hire a lot of people to be able to build a program the right way. You have to have money to be able to do it. I feel really good about the assistant coaches that I have contacted and talked to already. We're bringing in big time football coaches that have been at big time places and understand what it takes to be to treat the student-athletes the right way.

On being able to recruit in Texas
"It's important because this state means a lot to me. The high school football in this state is the best in the country. Being on the east coast, I recruited from other states and other areas more so than when I was here the first time. Nobody does it better than the state of Texas. With the resources, with the way they pay the coaches, the facilities, the practice time, nobody does it better. It's the best state and city to be able to recruit because of how things work like that. I'm excited about that, and I can't wait to reconnect with a lot of the high school football coaches, especially here in Houston.

Dwight-False.jpg
I think with a great HC, Holgorsen could win a NC as OC under that HC. There’s no denying he’s an offensive genius. Not so much as HC

Reactions: WVU_Dave
Holgs is a has been and outdated. He didn't win one at Oklahoma State with a great HC.

He couldn't even win the Big 12 as a HC with great athletes on offense at WVU.

Reactions: WVUBRU
Holgs is a has been and outdated. He didn't win one at Oklahoma State with a great HC.

He couldn't even win the Big 12 as a HC with great athletes on offense at WVU.
That’s totally your opinion. No better than mine. I’ll agree he’s not a great HC. Probably average. I’ll disagree with you on his offense. Neither one of our opinions matter

Reactions: WVUALLEN
That’s totally your opinion. No better than mine. I’ll agree he’s not a great HC. Probably average. I’ll disagree with you on his offense. Neither one of our opinions matter
I don't think Holgorsen has the right mentality to be a college coach. He has more of an NFL mentality. He got into hot water a few weeks back when he was asked about Houston's current recruiting class being ranked dead last in the power 5. He stated he had no intention of adding to it and was going to go out and load up on transfers. We saw how many transfers he brought in while he was at WVU. The problem is you're never really building towards anything by doing that. He was just living year to year just hoping to squeak out enough wins to keep his job. It eventually catches up with you. In the era of the transfer portal, I don't think you will be able to piece together a team entirely by recruiting out of High School. The non bluebloods that will have to most consistent success are the ones who can develop the most out of Highschool keep portal losses to a minimum and use the portal here and there to patch up holes.

thought he was getting 19..turns out it's 15 million..although he doesn't pay state income tax in Texas.
19 must have been last yrs buyout

Last edited:
thought he was getting 19..turns out it's 15 million..although he doesn't pay state income tax in Texas.
19 must have been last yrs buyout
The Cougars will pay Holgorsen $14.8 million over the next four years. 100 percent of his salary through 2025 and 60 percent in '26 and '27.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT