ADVERTISEMENT

Holgerson Goodbyes

I wonder that myself. Never heard anything about it. I know he stayed behind after the bowl game and didnt travel with them.

You hop on a plane. Say thanks for dedicating your lives to my team. Say you're sorry it didn't work out. Explain that we couldn't agree on a contract extension. Tell them you care about them. Get back on said plane.

Reactions: countryroads89
You hop on a plane. Say thanks for dedicating your lives to my team. Say you're sorry it didn't work out. Explain that we couldn't agree on a contract extension. Tell them you care about them. Get back on said plane.

The players were at home.

The University was on winter break.

Dana stayed in Orlando to party with me.
Why wouldn't he?
I am GregJacobs after all.
We sat around drinking RedBulls and talking about how fast we can score.

75% of the team scattered home with parents after the game since school was on break. Very few players rode plane back to Morgantown. Dana and many of the Seniors stayed in Orlando and played golf the next day as final goodbye. He called some and group texted all. Penned a heartfelt letter in the paper. Water over the dam now. But don’t miss a chance to criticize him one last time.

Reactions: Phil
Coulda done it today. Awkward, sure. Logistically hard, sure. Or use a video setup. At least send a mass text. If a coach did that to me, I'd be pissed.

It doesn’t sound like players were real fond of him anyway. A lot of former players stated as much on social media.

Coulda done it today. Awkward, sure. Logistically hard, sure. Or use a video setup. At least send a mass text. If a coach did that to me, I'd be pissed.

Dana is no longer an employee of the university.

Brown was on campus today and addressed the team for the first time. No point of having old coach hanging around. Ive heard he did send a team text message.

Thats life. The players will be fine. As a young guy I wouldnt give a crap if a coach said bye to me.

I'm not a tender heart.

Brown was on campus today and addressed the team for the first time. No point of having old coach hanging around. Ive heard he did send a team text message.

Thats life. The players will be fine. As a young guy I wouldnt give a crap if a coach said bye to me.

I'm not a tender heart.

You are literally wrong on every issue discussed on this board.

Reactions: Charleston Mountie
And DH's letter to the DP was delayed a day or two.

edit: delayed before the DP "PUBLISHED" it, not when it was written.

Last edited:
In short, Dana probably heard about all the the stuff Coach Brown was doing at a place he spent 4 years and felt like a douche. Letter to the paper was a poor make up move.

Truly whatever. We picked up someone who seems to legitimately care. Hopefully he doesn’t lose that quality.

In short, Dana probably heard about all the the stuff Coach Brown was doing at a place he spent 4 years and felt like a douche. Letter to the paper was a poor make up move.

Truly whatever. We picked up someone who seems to legitimately care. Hopefully he doesn’t lose that quality.

What was he suppose to do, charter a plane and fly to every players home to say goodbye?

What was he suppose to do, charter a plane and fly to every players home to say goodbye?

Nope. This was coming for a couple weeks. He had time to do this right.

Seeing his decision coming in the form of him holding a Red Bull with Houston gear on is a major douche move.

Even if he couldn’t meet with the team, he should have announced his departure to the team and WVU fans before that horseshit. The letter he sent was fine...just a few days late. Classic PR makeup move.

Steelereer lol that was funny. I honestly think he wanted to win, be loved in WV, be loved at WVU and stay a long time. He just can’t coach and he just can’t recruit.

Nope. This was coming for a couple weeks. He had time to do this right.

Seeing his decision coming in the form of him holding a Red Bull with Houston gear on is a major douche move.

Even if he couldn’t meet with the team, he should have announced his departure to the team and WVU fans before that horseshit. The letter he sent was fine...just a few days late. Classic PR makeup move.

Nothing could happen until Jan 1.

You guys are soft tender hearts....validate me with a goodbye, good grief.

Make me feel special like I'm the only fan you'll ever love....hold me.

Nothing could happen until Jan 1.

You guys are soft tender hearts....validate me with a goodbye, good grief.

Make me feel special like I'm the only fan you'll ever love....hold me.

Personally I couldn’t give a shit. I was over his act a while ago.

He could have sent that to the local papers at any point after he signed. He waited at least 2 days.
His attitude says more about him and what he values than anything negative about WVU or its fans.

Edit: it was more like 4-5 days...

Dana had me at 59-56. No letter required. I read it before it was written.

I'm not a tender heart.
Especially considering every party seemed ready to move on, from the administration to coaching staff to fanbase and possibly even the players.

Even more, this appears to be as amicable a coaching turnover as I've seen in college football on all sides. No shit talk from UH, WVU, or even Troy fans (who are the real losers here). Holgs left, kept any negative comments to himself, will pay his buyout, and head to TX.

And every major college football insider has said how we hit a homerun with Brown and came out in a better coaching situation than before.

Why piss and moan about anything?

Reactions: bandfan1 and RAK
One of the dumbest. His posts typify an immature 14 year old living in mommy’s basement. Never played organized sports and never studied very hard to educate himself.

I think he has a very rational mind.
Something that is unusual on college message boards.

Most posters tend to use emotion in their argument.
Not saying I do not at times....but there are people who make emotion fueled post 99% of the time.

75% of the team scattered home with parents after the game since school was on break. Very few players rode plane back to Morgantown. Dana and many of the Seniors stayed in Orlando and played golf the next day as final goodbye. He called some and group texted all. Penned a heartfelt letter in the paper. Water over the dam now. But don’t miss a chance to criticize him one last time.
Hmmm, many of the seniors knew Dec 29? I would find that surprising given the timeline .Regardless, that's hardly addressing the whole team. A group text makes me feel much better. However, I truly hope he sent it out as individual messages so everyone's phone was not going berserk. And, yes, I will criticize anyone if they are solidly inappropriate.

I take back anything nice I said about Dana. A tweet from TJ Simmons...

No text, No Call, No FaceTime, No email, No DM, No Nun

Unacceptable if you ask me. I gave Dana the benefit of the doubt on this, thinking SURELY he talked to his players. Well more than just his butt-buddy Grier deserves contacted. Fk him I hope he gets the clap and loses every game he plays lol. I'm kidding. It is what it is..... Holgs is in a better place for him.

Last edited:
One of the dumbest. His posts typify an immature 14 year old living in mommy’s basement. Never played organized sports and never studied very hard to educate himself.

You got me....im insecure.

I've heard one of us ALMOST walked on to a team one time 40 years ago.

Personally I couldn’t give a shit. I was over his act a while ago.

He could have sent that to the local papers at any point after he signed. He waited at least 2 days.
His attitude says more about him and what he values than anything negative about WVU or its fans.

Edit: it was more like 4-5 days...

You've complained for years you wanted him fired and now youre mad he didn't say goodbye quick enough?

Lol....Brown is in for the same thing. You guys are incapable of being satisfied.

His attitude has been totally professional. As has Shanes. Everything is fine....time to cut the rage machine.

You've complained for years you wanted him fired and now youre mad he didn't say goodbye quick enough?

Lol....Brown is in for the same thing. You guys are incapable of being satisfied.

His attitude has been totally professional. As has Shanes. Everything is fine....time to cut the rage machine.

The way he left is due to the reasons I wanted him fired...lack of character, discipline and ownership. Those traits were reflected in his team. We became to “cool” to gut out wins.....just like Dana.

If our team plays hard and improves as the year progresses ( do you remember the last time we did that, because that seems like eons ago), then I will have no issues with Coach Brown. Copy and paste this and use it as a quote on all your posts for all I care. I won’t worry about the wins and loses.

What you don’t get is that when we finally prepare and play like that, the wins will eventually take care of themselves.

The way he left is due to the reasons I wanted him fired...lack of character, discipline and ownership. Those traits were reflected in his team. We became to “cool” to gut out wins.....just like Dana.

If our team plays hard and improves as the year progresses ( do you remember the last time we did that, because that seems like eons ago), then I will have no issues with Coach Brown. Copy and paste this and use it as a quote on all your posts for all I care. I won’t worry about the wins and loses.

What you don’t get is that when we finally prepare and play like that, the wins will eventually take care of themselves.

He left fine. Kept his plans totally quiet during bowl week, no speculation. Paid his buy out, and treated everyone with proper respect and professionalism.

This is a totally clean separation. You are just an angry guy who needs something rage on.

A proper goodbye...good grief.

I gotta tell ya, I never pegged you fellas for such sentimental pups. But there's good news, after tonight college football is over and you tender-hearted tweens can go back to watching The Hallmark Channel.

It was owed to the team. You might want to check into what a bunch of our former players thought of the guy. Pretty interesting.

They will be fine.....or they won't. Up to them.

Its a good life lesson. That's how you mold men, ya know.

People aren't owed anything. Geez, millennials.

I don't think this is a black and white situation.

Did Dana leave with grace and respect? Kinda? He hasn't bad mouthed the program yet. He didn't turn up at Houston pumped up out of his mind to be there. The note was nice. It is break. A lot of the players went home. It's a tough situation. It's certainly not a Petrino/Falcons deal where he just left the players in the lockeroom without a trace. But..

He probably should have texted or emailed the kids thanking them for fighting with him and wishing them well with the new staff.

It's not against the law to just leave quietly and move on with your life, but the better thing to do is what he didn't do. The players will be fine and everyone will move on, but it's complicated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT