ADVERTISEMENT

Hey boys (and girls if there are any). My top 100 golf quest is finished

I thought a few if you might be interested. Ryan Pritt did a story in the Charleston Gazette a few weeks back about my completing my quest. Hopefully I remember how to link it. It’s been a lot of fun and I’m certainly not stopping. I hope you guys are doing well!Top 100
Congrats. A hole in one at 12 at Augusta cut Tiger by a mile!

36 out of 50 states. You gotta play in all 50 states. And DC and Puerto Rico too.

ETA: It's amazing to be playing for decades and never have a hole in one and then get your first at Augusta. That's like out of a movie.

Reactions: Airport
I thought a few if you might be interested. Ryan Pritt did a story in the Charleston Gazette a few weeks back about my completing my quest. Hopefully I remember how to link it. It’s been a lot of fun and I’m certainly not stopping. I hope you guys are doing well!Top 100
That's awesome. I've heard Pine Valley is as good as advertised. That is definitely on the bucket list. I'm assuming you played Garden City Mens Club, since its on the list. What did you think? Just played there last week. I thought the course itself was great, but the history of the place is really what separates it.

That's awesome. I've heard Pine Valley is as good as advertised. That is definitely on the bucket list. I'm assuming you played Garden City Mens Club, since its on the list. What did you think? Just played there last week. I thought the course itself was great, but the history of the place is really what separates it.
Enlighten me on it's history

Enlighten me on it's history
It started as a 9 hole course as part of the Garden City Hotel in the 1890s. They eventually added another 9 holes and formed its own club in 1899. They have had a US Open, Amateur and a Walker Cup there. They have been a mens only club since its inception. One of only 7 in the US as of today. I don't think this happens all that often these days, but if your wife or any female drives you to the club they have to drop you off at the front entrance, and you have to walk to the club...they call it the "walk of shame".

You have to wear a jacket anywhere in the club, except the locker room. All members have green jackets. Everything in the club house is original, but much of it has been refinished or what not. But you feel like you're walking into the early 1900s.

Plus, the course is awesome. Links style. Restored by Tom Doak in 2015. Totally flat...no water. Fescue all over the place though. But they have 168 bunkers...many of them have steps to get down into, because they are so deep. Some of them are 15-20 feet pot bunkers...impossible to get out of. Not that difficult of a course, because its so wide open, but if you get in some of those bunkers you are toast.

It’s a very cool place. I took a buddy with me and we were first out on a Friday morning. My bud is on the heavy side and not in the best of condition. And he plays slow. So when the pro asked us to play at a 3 1/2 hour pace, he sort of freaked. Plus we had a group of about 12 going right after us so there was the added pressure of a gallery. He butchered the first hole which is a short par 4. After that we were fine. One thing that I’ll always remember about Garden City is their memorial to all the members they lost on 9/11. It was very moving. I didn’t get to hang around there for long since afterward since we had an afternoon tee time at The Creek. I’d definitely go back to GC.

36 out of 50 states. You gotta play in all 50 states. And DC and Puerto Rico too.

ETA: It's amazing to be playing for decades and never have a hole in one and then get your first at Augusta. That's like out of a movie.
Playing in all the states isn’t really a high priority for me. Maybe I’ll get to it eventually. But I’d also like to play Golf Magazine’s Top 100 in US (85 so far), all the courses that have hosted the US Open, Golf Digest’s America’s Second 100 Greatest, Golf Digest’s top 100 public and Golf Magazine’s Top 100 in the World. So I have plenty to keep me busy.

Playing in all the states isn’t really a high priority for me. Maybe I’ll get to it eventually. But I’d also like to play Golf Magazine’s Top 100 in US (85 so far), all the courses that have hosted the US Open, Golf Digest’s America’s Second 100 Greatest, Golf Digest’s top 100 public and Golf Magazine’s Top 100 in the World. So I have plenty to keep me busy.
Is Gary CC in Gary WV on your list? :joy::joy::joy:

Reactions: RichardPeterJohnson
Assuming Bay Harbor is still on the list. If so, did you play all three nines, and which nine did you like the most? I've played it multiple times over the years, and really didn't think it was a difficult course. It's beautiful and in great shape though.

It’s a very cool place. I took a buddy with me and we were first out on a Friday morning. My bud is on the heavy side and not in the best of condition. And he plays slow. So when the pro asked us to play at a 3 1/2 hour pace, he sort of freaked. Plus we had a group of about 12 going right after us so there was the added pressure of a gallery. He butchered the first hole which is a short par 4. After that we were fine. One thing that I’ll always remember about Garden City is their memorial to all the members they lost on 9/11. It was very moving. I didn’t get to hang around there for long since afterward since we had an afternoon tee time at The Creek. I’d definitely go back to GC.
The 1st hole can be intimidating since the range is literally few away along with the clubhouse. If you tee off from the championship tees you’re actually teeing off behind the guys on the range. You mishit it that and you might kill someone.

The 1st hole can be intimidating since the range is literally few away along with the clubhouse. If you tee off from the championship tees you’re actually teeing off behind the guys on the range. You mishit it that and you might kill someone.
Too many golfers anyway!

Assuming Bay Harbor is still on the list. If so, did you play all three nines, and which nine did you like the most? I've played it multiple times over the years, and really didn't think it was a difficult course. It's beautiful and in great shape though.
Just looked at Golf Digest’s top 100 public
courses. Bay Harbor GC’s Links/Quarry nines are ranked #80 in US.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT