ADVERTISEMENT

Having a hard time appropriately "adjusting to life in a Big Time Conference" ...

The Bell Tolls for Thee

All-Conference
Feb 15, 2005
Maybe I should try to emulate fans of Duke, VT, or NC State. Maybe Illinois or Penn State. Perhaps Cal, Washington, Washington State, or ASU. These are teams that have hardly ever competed for the top quartile in their "Big Boy" conference over the last decade. I guess its not quite the same because WVU has yet to compete for a top 3 finish in the Big XII. Does adjusting to the "Big Time" mean accepting the relatively average results WVU has had the last 4 seasons? (8 technically because those that use "Big Time" conference labels &$*% on the BE which makes any success in that league worthless) Is pointing out the deficiencies that need to be improved in order to add a few more wins the next year improper adjustment? Or is it as simple as never questioning the staff's role in losses and only acknowledging their contributions during wins?

I have a hard time being anything more than apathetic if WVU is perpetually between 4-8 wins every year. I also haven't seen anything from the current teams that make me confident that WVU will exceed that 8 win mark anytime soon. So appropriately adjusting is clearly a binary choice for some. Either you are happy being a fan of a team that is between poor to slightly above average every year or you think that the last 5 seasons are building to a big season for the Mountaineers soon and WVU may even finish in the top 2 of the conference every 5-10 years with our current coaching staff. Any shred of doubt in the latter is mouth breathing mal-adjustment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT