Hardest hitters in college football?

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
433365583_1191023628910598_1500258189331886320_n.jpg

To me, Joesph reflected how we used to play in the 70s - 80s. In those days, we used to play D will a tough edge. We had guys like Tim Agee and Daryl Talley who would bring it. I recall Dan Marino complaining that his receivers were afraid to go across the middle against us.

Even under RR, I recall Barry Alvarez talking about playing us after the game and saying, they get it at West Virginia. We won the game, but they beat us up.

Seems like those days of tough guys on the WVU D are over. I guess a good part of that is the rule changes, but it also comes down to coaching and recruiting. It seems under Don Nehlen one of our recruiting strenghts was LB. Now our LBs seem average at best or even weak compared to our competition. It is hard to play good D without above average LBs.

To me, Joesph reflected how we used to play in the 70s - 80s. In those days, we used to play D will a tough edge. We had guys like Tim Agee and Daryl Talley who would bring it. I recall Dan Marino complaining that his receivers were afraid to go across the middle against us.

Even under RR, I recall Barry Alvarez talking about playing us after the game and saying, they get it at West Virginia. We won the game, but they beat us up.

Seems like those days of tough guys on the WVU D are over. I guess a good part of that is the rule changes, but it also comes down to coaching and recruiting. It seems under Don Nehlen one of our recruiting strenghts was LB. Now our LBs seem average at best or even weak compared to our competition. It is hard to play good D without above average LBs.
We recruit better at DT now.

Wasn't even trying for a hit, but making a play on the ball and absolutely destroyed a VT guy. In today's game this would have been flagged.

Don't forget "The Predator" Robert Sands....he could hit as well. I remember one in particular that was pretty devastating. I think it may have been against Florida State when he stuffed the QB on a QB run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT