ADVERTISEMENT

Got some bad news today

Snow Sled Baby

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Staunton Va
spinal fusion surgery.......anybody had it?.......One dr wants to do rods and screws another says there are less invasive options......other than cataract surgery have never been in the hospital in my life.....am really at a loss as to how to proceed

I would YouTube some information about it. You'd be surprised with everything they have out there.

You could also head over to Herd Nation and post it on Pullman Square. One of the posters, Doc Hungus, is a wvu grad, and is well versed in most areas of the medical field, or at least could steer you in a direction that may help.

I would YouTube some information about it. You'd be surprised with everything they have out there.

You could also head over to Herd Nation and post it on Pullman Square. One of the posters, Doc Hungus, is a wvu grad, and is well versed in most areas of the medical field, or at least could steer you in a direction that may help.
thanks

spinal fusion surgery.......anybody had it?.......One dr wants to do rods and screws another says there are less invasive options......other than cataract surgery have never been in the hospital in my life.....am really at a loss as to how to proceed
Sorry about your back, Sled. I’d definitely research all of my options.

Cervical or lumbar fusion, Sled? You would lose a lot of range of motion as a result of any fusion surgery. I have seen the medical records of literally hundreds of people who have undergone fusions, and many of them complain bitterly, post-surgery.

Cervical or lumbar fusion, Sled? You would lose a lot of range of motion as a result of any fusion surgery. I have seen the medical records of literally hundreds of people who have undergone fusions, and many of them complain bitterly, post-surgery.
lumbar....2 discs working on the nerves...I found an alternative clinic in Spotslyvania that I will call tomorrow. My regular physician who is usually a non invasive guy doesn't trust the minimal invasive process....says there have been too many failures.....at my ancient age with the rods and screws the dr says I'm looking at 6-8 months recovery.....to top it all off I have never been admitted to or spent the night in a hospital in my life......whitecoat syndrome to the max.......yay me:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Everyone I’ve known who had back procedures seemed to be the 1 in a 1,000 it didn’t work out for.

1. Have you consulted with a physical therapist? Do that 1st. I do 30 minutes of stretching every morning and my back is not an issue in my everyday life.

2. If medical or recreational pot is legal where you live, try that for the pain. Cream or edibles.

3. Locate a store that sells zero gravity chairs and try one out for pain relief. The good ones are $$$$, but can help you get some sleep if you’re in pain.

Before you get surgery, try acupuncture, chiropractic, or anything else. If you end up getting surgery, prepare yourself for some degree of disability for the rest of your life.

Reactions: Humptod
Everyone I’ve known who had back procedures seemed to be the 1 in a 1,000 it didn’t work out for.

1. Have you consulted with a physical therapist? Do that 1st. I do 30 minutes of stretching every morning and my back is not an issue in my everyday life.

2. If medical or recreational pot is legal where you live, try that for the pain. Cream or edibles.

3. Locate a store that sells zero gravity chairs and try one out for pain relief. The good ones are $$$$, but can help you get some sleep if you’re in pain.

Before you get surgery, try acupuncture, chiropractic, or anything else. If you end up getting surgery, prepare yourself for some degree of disability for the rest of your life.
1 already have and did for the last year...no help 2. already do and it helps some 3. brother has one I'll try it.........thanks for the help...decisions to make

Sled, Have you ever tried using a TENS unit?

Sled, Have you ever tried using a TENS unit?
yes.....have one and use it regularly.....have checked today and no one thinks I'm a candidate for minimal invasive procedures.....damage is too serious and too near the nerve sheath......doc says it's natural degeneration along with my career choices (golf) and playing athletics since I was 5......(some have said that I am a degenerate so there is that)......looks like rods screws and 8 month recovery.....

My wife had this surgery. 2 rods and 8 screws. She got along fine, although it was a long recovery process. She was about 65 when she had it done and is now 76. Getting along fine and mowing the grass. Surgery w as in Columbus.

My wife had this surgery. 2 rods and 8 screws. She got along fine, although it was a long recovery process. She was about 65 when she had it done and is now 76. Getting along fine and mowing the grass. Surgery w as in Columbus.
:smiley:......I wouldn't trust a buckeye with this back....no how no way

Humptod said let him give you daily massages first, to see if you really do need the surgery.

• Haha
Reactions: Humptod
Not sure you can avoid surgery but if you can I would avoid back surgery. Don't take my word for it. I am not a doctor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT