ADVERTISEMENT

Got an email about contributing to the band uniforms ...

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
As I'm sure some of the rest of you here did...donate (I think $700) and you get your name embroidered inside the uniform crediting you as a donor, and it is sent to you at end season...I think it's a great idea and wish them well with it!
But it got me to thinking...is something like this possible with the football team under current NCAA regs? The helmets I know may be an issue with safety requirements on re-sale etc? But what about the jersey's or other game worn items? NCAA have some pretty heavy restrictions on this stuff I assume? My man cave is gradually getting stocked with various memorabilia, but if I could aquire an item with my name in it as a donor and help the MAC.... well?.....somebody help me out here....just a thought...

What, exactly, do they send you at the end of the season (and the band isn't on the same timeline as the football team) ??

Whoops! My bad...after review it seems nothing! Perhaps I should delete the thread lol...but still...what about the football uni's? Would be nice for donors to have their names inside?....

Whoops! My bad...after review it seems nothing! Perhaps I should delete the thread lol...but still...what about the football uni's? Would be nice for donors to have their names inside?....

I'd certainly buy (or bid on ) an authentic player worn helmet before the season even started.

It's an interesting concept.

Unless the ncaa has changed the rules, donations/bids on worn uniforms has been allowed in the past. IN 2007 or whenever Teebow was playing for the gators, the AD had retro uniforms for the game. Florida allowed boosters to buy the uniforms worn in the game. They took the names off the back of the jersey (or they never put them on) and you were buying a game jersey but not a specific name jersey. In other words the booster couldn't say I want Teebow's jersey and get it. Reportedly it was all random, and it was well over $1000 for a jersey. It was some crazy amount and may have been $5000, and what's amazing is imagine if its a 3rd string player who never touched the field. It was basically a donation that is a tax write off, but Florida has quite a few rich boosters I guess.

Hmmm...that is steep...but allowing it to remain a tax write off is interesting. I suppose they would have to...although it opens up an entire can of worms...

It would be nice to get a piece or 2 at ( relatively speaking), reasonable $...I wonder how this dynamic would play in down the road with the past talk of athletes being able to sign/sell likeness etc. if the current strict guidelines are adjusted...

Maybe it isn't a tax write off. I just remember reading about it and thought, "Wow What a way to raise $$$$$".

As I'm sure some of the rest of you here did...donate (I think $700) and you get your name embroidered inside the uniform crediting you as a donor, and it is sent to you at end season...I think it's a great idea and wish them well with it!
But it got me to thinking...is something like this possible with the football team under current NCAA regs? The helmets I know may be an issue with safety requirements on re-sale etc? But what about the jersey's or other game worn items? NCAA have some pretty heavy restrictions on this stuff I assume? My man cave is gradually getting stocked with various memorabilia, but if I could aquire an item with my name in it as a donor and help the MAC.... well?.....somebody help me out here....just a thought...

It would be nice if the band even played once in a while after sitting down. OSU was my first game in 4 years so I imagine there had been some changes to the game day atmosphere but I didn't expect to here constant tacky tv clips getting the crowd to cheer.
In my opinion they over due it with that crap. It's like something you see at some minor league venue or something. Plus the fact that I think that band director is just plain lazy. He doesn't add anything new to the band's repertoire. At other places you hear other bands play some nice innovative stuff like drum solos or something but our band never seems to do that. At least not anymore.
I just wish they would get rid of that stuff and leave it up to the students and band as well as other ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT