ADVERTISEMENT

Get woke and go broke....

30CAT

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Williamstown, WV
Loving every minute of it... [banana]

LINK: NBC's Tokyo Olympics coverage spurs 'advertiser anxiety' as viewership continues to decline

NBC’s primetime coverage of the Tokyo Olympics continued to spiral downward on Monday, averaging 14.7 million viewers for a 49 percent drop compared to the equivalent night from the 2016 Rio de Janeiro games.

Monday’s telecast also shed 53 percent of viewers from coverage of the first weeknight primetime during the 2012 London Olympics and declines were even larger among the advertiser-coveted demographic of adults aged 18-49.

Variety senior TV editor Brian Steinberg wrote that the drop has spurred "advertiser anxiety" which hasn’t been eased by the news that legendary American gymnast Simone Biles withdrew from team competition and fan favorite Naomi Osaka was eliminated from tennis medal competition.

Steinberg quoted a media buying executive who said the early viewership "clearly are not what NBC, our agency or our clients were looking for" from costly investment.

"This executive said early viewership trends were ‘disappointing,’" Steinberg wrote.

The opening ceremony, delayed a year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, drew 16.7 million viewers for NBC on Friday, the smallest audience for the network broadcast since the 1988 Seoul Games. NBC presumably hoped its multi-billion dollar investment would pick up as the games proceeded, but primetime coverage on Saturday and Sunday also was disappointing.

NBC averaged 12.6 million viewers on Saturday night, a 39 percent drop compared to the first Saturday of the 2016 Olympics and a 56 percent drop compared to the 2012 London games. Now that a weeknight has also shed significant viewership from recent Olympics, too, NBC could start to panic if things don’t pick up in a hurry.

"The size of the declines from the previous Rio Olympics have unnerved advertisers, who are believed to have invested more than $1.2 billion in the sports extravaganza," Steinberg wrote. "Little surprise, then, that NBCU and several media agencies have entered into discussions for ‘make goods,’ or ad inventory that is given to sponsors when a program fails to meet its original viewership guarantees."

Tammy Bruce on Monday tore into the "woke" U.S. athletes who appear far more concerned about scoring political points with leftist ideologues than they do with their performance during this year's Olympic Games in Tokyo.

"Failure, misery, resentment, victimhood, hatred for the country… that’s what fuels the left … and it’s penetrating nearly every corner of society," Bruce said in her opening monologue.

"Ask yourself… could this shift in attitude and a shift away from national pride be present in team USA's stumbling start at the Olympic games?"

Bruce pointed to the poor performance of the U.S. women’s national soccer team, who were shut out in their opener with Sweden. Team USA's men’s basketball team, headed up by "rabid America-bashing leftist Gregg Popovich," got beaten by France, marking the first time in 16 years that they've lost their opener, Bruce said.

"I contend, for some, this is the conscious and subconscious result of choosing resentment and grievance over pride and optimism … translating into an embarrassment to even be an American and to represent our nation," she told viewers.

While Bruce feels politics are to blame, others have pointed to the time difference, lack of star power, decline in American spirit, COVID protocols, streaming and other reasons why NBC’s coverage has tanked. But regardless of the cause of the collapse, Steinberg doesn’t think the advertiser anxiety is going to fade anytime soon unless something changes quickly.

"Until the Olympic telecasts gain firmer traction, however, NBCU is likely to keep hearing from sponsors," he wrote.

How many hours of competition should I watch in able to see 2 minutes of a US entry of any competition???

You mean they haven’t blamed the low viewer turnout on White Supremacy 🤡 I’m sure we will hear that soon
I read an opinion piece on Yahoo that said exactly that. Racism is why the Olympics TV ratings are down and the olympians deserve better. Most ridiculous thing I’d ever read. I can’t find it now.

Reactions: 30CAT and jpoppa
I don't like the Woke stuff either but even beyond that it all feels so fake and packaged. Maybe I'm more sensitive to this than others but it always feels like I'm being sold something. It feels pushy.

Sports coverage in general is bad IMO. They try to sell you too much pre-packaged BS and human interest angles instead of just, you know, showing you the sport. I can understand some human interest angle to it but they go way over the top.

I had the US Olympic Trials on with the audio off. It was whatever sprint Alison Felix was on, who I think just won some medals. There were eight runners. They showed her and her husband in the stands and a bunch of stuff about her. And hey showed us two other runners some. And that was it. They didn't even show us 5 of the 8 runners. Maybe they said their names but I had the audio on. But anyway, very clearly they weren't selling the race, they were selling a story about Alison Felix.

This kind of thing is bad on football games too. So often, immediately after a play, even an interesting one, they do some stupid, cheesy pre-planned schtick. Give me a break. Just show me the damn game. There is so much happening in football that something interesting happens every play. Get a sharp analyst that can point it out and let him go to work. I don't really give a sh*t if the left guards aunt ran track at the same school 25 years ago, I just want to see the game.

Reactions: mule_eer
Yes I'm loving it .....
EASY EXPLANATION:

"Tammy Bruce on Monday tore into the "woke" U.S. athletes who appear far more concerned about scoring political points with leftist ideologues than they do with their performance during this year's Olympic Games in Tokyo"

Says it all right there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT