ADVERTISEMENT

Gee and BOG Chair Willis-Miller comments after the meeting yesterday

masterofawesomeness2

Senior
Silver Member
Jul 15, 2023
In our post-meeting conversation, Gee said again that what is happening at WVU is happening at many other universities. The pandemic led to the great droput, and federal COVID funds were perhaps spent with less discipline than was needed. “This is not a surprise.”
He and Willis-Miller said WVU began looking at transformation back in 2020. “The pandemic really interrupted what we had thought would be a longer-range project,” Willis-Miller said.

So coming out of the pandemic, the transformation is accelerated.

“We want to get this transformation done and get on to being an even greater university,” Willis-Miller said.

And Gee added, “I do believe speed is our friend. The faster you go through this process, I do believe you squeeze fear out of the room. There’s a lot of fear that we need to address and we need to address it quickly so we can get on with our business.”

But, he said, “We are not in crisis. We actually are doing quite well.”

Fewer than 5% of people at WVU will be affected by the transformation, he said. “Those are individual lives and we’re cornered about our university family members.” Being under review doesn’t mean something will get chopped. They are about becoming a 21st century university serving the needs of the state, and business and industry in the state, and keeping young people here.

The transformation is beginning with data – how well programs are doing in enrollment and financially, they said. The BOG set metrics to meet for the deficit and they decided to move quickly – with BOG’s vote on recommendations set for Sept. 15.

Willis-Miller said, “If we didn’t have a budget deficit, I think this board would still say, ‘Continue with the transformation.”

'

Gee admitted that program reviews haven’t been done as robustly as they should have been. From now on, he said, one third of WVU’s programs will be reviewed each year.

We talked to Gee and Willis-Miller about faculty comments to The Dominion Post that cuts that already have occurred and will occur could damage WVU’s reputation.

Gee disagreed. “I think without doing what we’re doing, our future would be very bleak.” While doing what they’re doing raises short-term difficulties, long term it will enhance the quality of WVU.

Already, he said, research numbers are up substantially, the WVU Medicine system spans 24 hospitals, the Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute is a national leader.

I think our reputation is very solid and it will grow by the decisions we are making right now.” There will be losses, but also gain. He prefers to think of cuts as investments. “I believe that we are developing an investment strategy that will sustain us for the long term.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News