ADVERTISEMENT

gcb is Home

jocktalker

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 5, 2007
Weston, WV
As I mentioned last week, gcb's illness has taken a drastic turn for the worse even after starting chemo treatments.

It pains me deeply to tell you that he has been discharged from the hospital and has decided to stop taking any additional treatments for the cancer that continues to multiply in both his lungs and liver and is active in his lymph nodes.

We tried to talk on the phone today but he couldn't. It's just to hard for him to breathe and talk without coughing and the last thing I want to do is cause my dear friend any more pain that he has and will continue to endure.

His wife, Fran, gave me permission to publish his name and address on the BL. I thought it might buoy some Christmas spirit around his home during the holidays if some of his friends here took a moment to send him a card.

He is weak and uncomfortable and understands what this disease is doing to his body and what is coming. I know many of his closest friends have called and tried to schedule times to visit with him but he's just not in any condition to receive visitors or talk on the phone. Many of you have called me and PM'd me for updates regarding his condition. His condition is dire people and, unfortunately, it's not going to get better.

gcb's name is Bill Noel. As someone posted last week, Bill is the nephew of Jerry West. He and Frank Offutt (Frank in St. Albans) were very close friends and their institutional knowledge of WVU history, recruiting and coaching will probably never be replaced on the BL. More importantly, Bill is a caring and generous soul who has helped more people in need than anyone I know.

Bill, Finnius and I used to do a talk show together in Charleston, first with John Dickensheets and later just among ourselves when John became too ill to carry on. Bill first got involved in radio when he called to complain to Dickensheets that (now deceased) Greg Cyrus and Chuck Landon were taking cheap shots at WVU and that the show lacked any objectivity. Bill's point of view as a guest on the show was not only correct but so popular that he became a regular co-host with Dickensheets for many years. Finnius followed shortly thereafter and I eventually joined the WVU rat pack.

Anyway, here is Bill's address. I know he and Fran would enjoy hearing from any who can spare the time to wish him well during the Christmas season. He personally knows many of you on this message board but I'm sure that there are some of you who have never met my friend. It might be helpful (if you send him a card) to include your board name along with your real name. :pray: [WVU]

Bill Noel (gcb)
5415 Tanglewood Road
Cross Lanes, WV 25313

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News