ADVERTISEMENT

Found a new sports outlet: Formula 1

Buddy of mine has always been a huge F1 fan. He would actually just listen to recordings of the races (the engines) in his spare time.

• Haha
Reactions: WVUCOOPER
I liked Rush, but ain't no chance in hell I'm watching any of those as a sport.

I liked Rush, but ain't no chance in hell I'm watching any of those as a sport.
Rush is what got me interested enough to watch the Netflix show. The Netflix show has me interested enough to start watching actual F1. Hell, I didn’t even understand the difference between F1 and Indy Car until I watched the show. I think it’s pretty awesome, the business side of it, the builders championship, the drivers championship, etc.

Right now and for the last seven years, Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton have dominated the sport. I think the Red Bull team with Max Verstaapen is potentially going to challenge this season.

There is an American owned team, Haas, that I’m following but they suck right now. They have two rookie drivers this season. One of them Mick Schumacher (Mike’s son). I’m at the early stage where it fun and I’m picking Daniel Riccardio and Team McLaren as my driver and team to root for.

Rush is what got me interested enough to watch the Netflix show. The Netflix show has me interested enough to start watching actual F1. Hell, I didn’t even understand the difference between F1 and Indy Car until I watched the show. I think it’s pretty awesome, the business side of it, the builders championship, the drivers championship, etc.

Right now and for the last seven years, Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton have dominated the sport. I think the Red Bull team with Max Verstaapen is potentially going to challenge this season.

There is an American owned team, Haas, that I’m following but they suck right now. They have two rookie drivers this season. One of them Mick Schumacher (Mike’s son). I’m at the early stage where it fun and I’m picking Daniel Riccardio and Team McLaren as my driver and team to root for.
To each their own. Just don't turn in to the buy BitCoin guy for F1

I have been a fan of open wheel racing for many years. Been to F-1 races and many Indy Car races all over the country
I suggest attending an Indy 500 when they get back to full attendance.......no other sporting event comes even close to the Indy 500.

I have been a fan of open wheel racing for many years. Been to F-1 races and many Indy Car races all over the country
I suggest attending an Indy 500 when they get back to full attendance.......no other sporting event comes even close to the Indy 500.
I pulled security for a couple of NASCAR and Indy Car events to help raise money for the Marine Corps Ball back in the day. We had a blast living on the infield for a week and partying with all of the locals in the evenings.

I’m planning on trying to take the wife to go see some races in the coming years. Looking at Abu Dhabi, Baku in Azerbaijan, and Singapore. Really want to check out Baku. I’ve been to the other 2.

I binge watched the F1 Drive to Survive thing on Netflix over the last 2 weeks. Awesome. All in on F1 now.
Its the closest thing to truly open racing there is. Best drivers in the world and obviously a billionaires play toy thing but it is truly awesome.

Its the closest thing to truly open racing there is. Best drivers in the world and obviously a billionaires play toy thing but it is truly awesome.
I didn’t realize how international it truly was. They hit 6 of 7 continents. It’s really cool.

I didn’t realize how international it truly was. They hit 6 of 7 continents. It’s really cool.
Oh yeah. You should go to the Texas race or wherever they decide to race in the US again. Ive neve seen them live but I have always wanted to watch them live.

Oh yeah. You should go to the Texas race or wherever they decide to race in the US again. Ive neve seen them live but I have always wanted to watch them live.
They’re going to Austin in Oct. I think there is one in Miami. There is one in Mexico and Montreal as well.

Meh. I'll pick fall Saturdays in Morgantown over anything. I'm sure the Indy 500 is great. Glad you enjoy it though.
Meh.....I'm a little ahead of you my friend.........I bet I've easily spent ten times the number of fall Saturdays in Motown than you have.
I've done a fall Saturday at Mountaineer Field and was at a Formula 1 race the next day......Great.
You need to expand your world.

I pulled security for a couple of NASCAR and Indy Car events to help raise money for the Marine Corps Ball back in the day. We had a blast living on the infield for a week and partying with all of the locals in the evenings.

I’m planning on trying to take the wife to go see some races in the coming years. Looking at Abu Dhabi, Baku in Azerbaijan, and Singapore. Really want to check out Baku. I’ve been to the other 2.
I have never been to a NASCAR race.......but I will watch them and any kind of racing on the tube.
Indy Car fans ( beer and wine ) are different from the NASCAR fans ( beer ) I know.....and..... F-1 fans are strictly wine and brie all the way.

2021 United States Grand Prix, which takes place over 56 laps of the 5.513-kilometre Circuit of The Americas in Austin on Sunday, October 24.

Meh.....I'm a little ahead of you my friend.........I bet I've easily spent ten times the number of fall Saturdays in Motown than you have.
I've done a fall Saturday at Mountaineer Field and was at a Formula 1 race the next day......Great.
Nah. I'm good. Thanks for looking out.

I binge watched the F1 Drive to Survive thing on Netflix over the last 2 weeks. Awesome. All in on F1 now.
I've watched that show the last few years, and it turned me on to F1 as well. I can't stand to watch cars go in a circle on TV, but watching F1 is much better. I have a couple of British friends that have watched forever, and have been to many of the races. The set up and the type of people that go the races is much different than anything else you'll see in the states. Think about a Super Bowl w/ all the hype every week in a different country.

Everyone swears by the Montreal Grand Prix. I've been to Montreal a few times, but not for a race. Just from being there I know it would be an awesome time. The restaurants are great, and the red light district there is a good time.

Several of us were thinking of going to Montreal, but that is in June and US citizens would most likely still not be permitted. So, we're planning on going to Austin on 10/24. That is probably going to much different than watching a race in Europe or Asia, but still very much looking forward to it.

Miami in 2022 is a must go.

I've watched that show the last few years, and it turned me on to F1 as well. I can't stand to watch cars go in a circle on TV, but watching F1 is much better. I have a couple of British friends that have watched forever, and have been to many of the races. The set up and the type of people that go the races is much different than anything else you'll see in the states. Think about a Super Bowl w/ all the hype every week in a different country.

Everyone swears by the Montreal Grand Prix. I've been to Montreal a few times, but not for a race. Just from being there I know it would be an awesome time. The restaurants are great, and the red light district there is a good time.

Several of us were thinking of going to Montreal, but that is in June and US citizens would most likely still not be permitted. So, we're planning on going to Austin on 10/24. That is probably going to much different than watching a race in Europe or Asia, but still very much looking forward to it.

Miami in 2022 is a must go.

We may go to Austin but we are definitely going to Miami next year.

In 2017, we hit the UT/Okie State game in the morning, WV/Baylor game that evening, then the US Grand Prix at COTA the next day. Was a blast...the F1 fanbase is definitely different from the NASCAR fanbase. The local hotels jack up their prices for the Eurotrash, so staying anywhere near the track necessitates a second mortgage.

If you haven't already seen, the documentary "1" is also worth checking out. Similar grain of salt factor as the Netflix show, since FIA was part of the production--bit of a propaganda vibe at times. But it's a nice treatment of the sport's history, especially the rise of Bernie Ecclestone, and then the safety innovations in the modern era. Like NASCAR, it took losing a top star for the sport to finally get serious about making the cars not be death traps.

Ferrari is a sleeping giant.

They will never be able to keep pace with the Silver Arrows as long as Toto Wollf is running the Petronas team. The guy is a motor sports genius.
I'm sure he is. Although, Hamilton can make anyone look good. That dude is dominant. Although, Mercedes puts out the best car year in and year out. That's on Toto. They just resigned him as well.

In 2017, we hit the UT/Okie State game in the morning, WV/Baylor game that evening, then the US Grand Prix at COTA the next day. Was a blast...the F1 fanbase is definitely different from the NASCAR fanbase. The local hotels jack up their prices for the Eurotrash, so staying anywhere near the track necessitates a second mortgage.
For many years when attending the INDY 500 a group of us used to stay at the American Legion camp grounds on Georgetown Road right across the road from the Speedway.
We usually had four motor homes in the group.
The year after the first F-1 race at Indy.......Mercedes made a deal with the Legion and took over the entire 4 or 5 acre site.
We tried to get in for the following year F-1 race but we were not able to get in...........told it was all for Mercedes.

I'm sure he is. Although, Hamilton can make anyone look good. That dude is dominant. Although, Mercedes puts out the best car year in and year out. That's on Toto. They just resigned him as well.
Hamilton is the best driver in the world.

For 10 years. Hell of a slumber.
They have the most resources...worth $1.3B. And its Ferrari. They need to find some drivers though. Leclerc and Sainz are very good. They should finish Top 3 as a team. Everything will be up for grabs once Hamilton starts slipping. Right now its hard to surpass him.

They have the most resources...worth $1.3B. And its Ferrari. They need to find some drivers though. Leclerc and Sainz are very good. They should finish Top 3 as a team. Everything will be up for grabs once Hamilton starts slipping. Right now its hard to surpass him.
Mercedes has had the biggest budget in F-1 for several years.....plus all teams are now facing a cost cap.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT