ADVERTISEMENT

Five Thoughts: WVU 89 #11 K-State 81 & taking shots from the Greenbrier

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
My Fiver on WVU's victory over Kansas State's fighting Tangs on Saturday...

1. After the game Saturday, saw a lot of folks on here claiming that this team has finally "clicked" and learned to play together. That's partially true. There was a version of this WVU basketball team early on - the one who went to Pittsburgh and dismembered Pitt on their home court by 25, the one who annihilated Florida by 30 on a neutral floor - who looked like it was a team who could compete at the highest level. However, something changed along the way - in particular the three game stretch of UAB-Buffalo-Stony Brook at home where we just looked out of sorts. Then, 0-5 happened, Hugg publicly threatened to throw Erik Stevenson off the team after Stillwater's meltdown, and we began to wonder if we would even make the NIT. Instead of coming apart, this team has come together. It's been a bumpy ride, but the home win vs. Oklahoma State was impressive and then we fought Kansas to the final fateful second in Lawrence. Erik Stevenson has his mojo back. Huggs has had his hand forced to play small, and it has worked. Emmitt Matthews Jr. has flourished playing at the "5". We are playing well at the right time, and we have a dangerous shot-hunter at the 2-guard - which is essential for March. This team is primed for a run.

2. Before the season started, Emmitt Matthews Jr. said a primary motivator of returning to WVU was being able to walk out on that carpet on Senior Night. Well, he did it right. 9/11 from the field, 20 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 blocked shots, 1 assist and only 1 TO in 40 minutes. He is running the floor very well, and is a fantastic finisher at the rim. There were a few times Saturday where Keddy could've stopped on the drive and fed him, but we overcame it. Matthews is thriving when we go small. He is deceptively quick for a "4", especially for a "5". He is going to be key in our tournament hopes this week.

3. Markquis Nowell. OK - I'm sorry, but if an opposing player is going to pull up from 8 feet behind the three-point line, multiple times, you let him. First, I can't believe some of the shots he attempted. Secondly, I can't believe they went in. I actually paused the game to go get my wife, who couldn't be less interested, to show her the shot he hit from approximately the Greenbrier on our state logo. I don't want to see this cat again. Between his lightning quick hands, and ability to hit shots that make Trae Young blush, I'm glad he's graduating.

4. I like angry Kedrian Johnson. This game was personal for him. He and Nowell were jawing all game long, and I love it. Nothing cheap, all game. The sequence where Nowell picked Johnson clean, then Keddy hustled down and blocked his layup, then stole the ball from the opposing player was just incredible. That's some seriously good basketball. Keddy was aggressive, sometimes a bit too much, but that's OK. 23 points, 6 assists, 6 steals and a sizzling 14/15 from the FT line. If I were Huggs, I would channel that inner demon that came out Saturday. Yes - he needs to cut down on the TOs. But, he played with a fire Saturday that I had not seen in a while.

5. That last game vs. Texas Tech was an embarrassment. It was an endless layup or dunk line, and we were outrebounded by 11 on our home floor. We gave up a career high to Jaylon Tyson with 27 points. He had just 9 Saturday vs. Oklahoma State, and just 6 in 36 minutes at Kansas. This game is going to come down to defense - our ability to keep the Texas Tech guards in front of us, force them to beat us from outside. If we go small, we'll force TT to make a decision on Fardaws Aimaq, their 6'11" C who ate up the glass in Morgantown...I like our chances with him checking Emmitt or even Tre Mitchell. This is a game we should win Wednesday, and give us a chance to play Kansas once again...I like that matchup much more than Texas.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News