ADVERTISEMENT

Five Thoughts...WVU 31 Texas 23 & the one stat in bold flashing lights.

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
1. Made a play. It's been a constant in my Fivers on Football this year: I've been waiting for someone to step up and make a play when we need it. We've had so many one possession games where we just couldn't make a play when the game was on the line. But, the two 3rd & LONG situations and Sean Mahone's INT were the plays we've been looking for. On the 3rd & 18, Winston Wright's effort to get past the sticks was pure heart. On the 3rd & 15, Jarrett Doege threw a beautiful ball and Reese Smith ran a great route to make a first down catch in a small window. Finally, credit to our entire defense for getting a much needed stop on Texas's final legitimate drive, where we sacked Hudson Card, and then picked off Casey Thompson on back-to-back plays.

2. 4th & 5 call - thumbs up. I lived through Tremain Mack. I did not want to see WVU go into punt formation on that 4th and 5. I didn't want to see Casey Legg try a 53-yard FG either. Running the ball wouldn't gain you any clock. So, I wanted to see us go for it there, and I was hopeful for a 50/50 ball to Kaden Prather. Instead we got a post pattern to Isaiah Esdale, and Doege put it out in front of him to either make a diving catch or nothing at all. I liked the call there.

3. Dime defense call by Neal Brown/Jordan Lesley. Texas is a team who has tried to make a living off of explosive plays this year. So, Neal Brown decided to keep the Longhorns in front of our "D" by utilizing the dime pretty much all game. And, the results were a Texas team who combined between two QBs to go 14/30 passing for 152 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT, but was able to 203 yards rushing on 28 carries at a scary 7.3ypc. But, when we need it the most - 3rd & 6 at the WVU 28 late in the fourth quarter, our D crashed into the backfield to snag Roschon Johnson for a 2-yard loss, setting up the 4th & 8 which led to the Texas INT to Sean Mahone. It was the ultimate "bend but don't break" defense day. I liked it for this game, but hope to God we don't adopt it weekly.

4. Jarrett Doege, the game, the possible return in 2022. First, hell of a game by Doege. 27/43, 290 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT and could've been better if not for two big drops by Prather and Sam James. Thought Doege made good decisions all day, and made a couple fantastic throws - the best being the ball to Winston Wright for a TD. We all know Doege well enough by now to know that, if we keep him protected, he can dice up defenses. If our OL/backs don't pass protect, then he can be jittery and "off". Now, it appears he may be leaning toward coming back in 2022. This would set up a QB room of Nicco Marchiol (who just verified on Twitter that he is indeed enrolling in Jan.), Will Crowder, Garrett Green, and Doege. A week ago I posted on the Fiver that Doege will definitely not be our QB in 2022. That is because I felt that there was 0% of Doege coming back for essentially a grad year to go through another crucible. However, now, it appears he may. And, if he does, then we'll have quite the QB battle over the Spring and Summer. Neal Brown has a lot riding on 2022. He, I am sure, knows that his seat is warm. So, correspondingly, he is going to start the QB who gives him the best shot at winning. And, if I were a betting man, I would say that would be Jarrett Doege starting vs. Pitt...with Garrett Greene being utilized once again as a change-up. Then, the winner of the Nicco vs. Goose competition will be a close backup to Doege, and if things turn South quickly...then you could see Nicco or Goose starting by Game 4. However, if Doege is able to win that Pitt game, and get WVU to 3-0 after defeating VPI in Blacksburg, then we could have the luxury of Nicco/Goose gaining a year of experience while not being thrown to the wolves. There's a chance this offense could still be successful, highly successful, with Doege, IF.................

5. WVU finds a way to sustain a rushing attack. It is in bold, flashing lights. WVU is 12-0 under Neal Brown when rushing the ball for over 100 yards. (4-17 when we do not) It is the old Jeff Goldblum "Well, There it is" GIF. The #1 job -- the preeminent focus of our coach in this offseason -- must be finding a way to sustain a rushing attack. We've seen this offense produce the Big 12 Conference's top passing attack, and proud we are of all of them. But, if we want to win, and win on a level where we are in the national conversation, then Tony Mathis, Justin Johnson and Jaylen Anderson must be given the chance to road grade next year. It's going to have to start with a shakeup on the offensive staff. Matt Moore, I'm afraid, must be shown the exit. Then you have the question of whether Neal Brown must turn over the keys of the offense to Kirk Ciarrocca or someone else. I'm not saying that Brown must turn over the keys, but the offense must be different next year. I like the passing attack, the route trees we run, the timing patterns, the occasional tunnel screen. However, we need to cut down on the trickeration (that 18-yard loss on the double-reverse flea flicker was special) and focus like a laser on creating new blocking schemes which allow our running backs room. Yes, use a fullback. Go big - we'll have two very nice TEs next year. Get under center on occasion. And when Nicco takes over, then we can do some zone read. But, this offense, in its present form, is too inconsistent in terms of running the ball to ever succeed at a high level. However, if a new OL coach and possibly a new co-OC could come in an tweak our rushing attack to where we have a consistent 100 ypg rusher - say, Tony Mathis, next year....then this team could go places if our defense continues to be solid.

We're 5-6. Let's get to 6-6 next weekend, to make a bowl game. Let's promote stability at the top and finish strong with our recruiting class while, elsewhere (VT, Miami, UF, LSU, etc.) the coaching carousel runs amok. Then, in the offseason, make the hard decisions and changes which need to be made.

We're 12-0 when we run for more than 100 yards. You know what you need to do.
well-there-it-is.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News