ADVERTISEMENT

Five Thoughts...#3 Oklahoma 16 WVU 13 & similarities to the past.

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
My fiver on WVU loss to the Sooners in Norman on Saturday night...

1. 21-yard loss, intentional grounding, negative plays continue to haunt. First, negative plays. Look, we're starting to see an identity form & it's not going to make everyone exactly giddy. We are a team who wants to win with our defense first, use the offense to move sticks, eat clock, and grind out victories. It's not beauty contest stuff...but until we have more dynamic playmakers on offense, it is who we are. And, if that is what we are going to be, we need to cut out the backwards plays. We simply can't have any or the drive is over. Example #1 - We are tied 7-7, Winston Wright has a nice return to the 35. We pick up a first down in 3 plays, and we have the ball at midfield, 1st & 10. On 2nd & 8 from the OU 49, our next play is a screen pass to Leddie for -6 yards. That is the 3rd time this season that this play has gone backwards. (Yes, once this play did pick up a 20-yard TD vs. Maryland). Now, it's 3rd & 14 and the drive is done - Jarrett Doege throws up an INT, to qualify as a punt. Next, the false start at the 1. We have OU on their heels, as Garrett Green, Leddie and Winston Wright are running them ragged. 2nd and goal from inside the 1. Then, a flag flies. Parker Moorer jumped. 2nd and 6, and we end up setting for "3". That negative play cost us four points. Perhaps, one could even say it cost us the game? Then, the intentional grounding. What a gut punch this was. Our Defense steps up, on a national stage in a huge spotlight game and makes an unbelievable stand on 4th & 1 vs. arguably the best offensive mind in football. WVU takes over at midfield, up 13-10, with a chance to really take control. And, our first play is an intentional grounding which results in -8 yards and a loss of down. We did get it to a manageable 3rd & 7, aided by an OU false start, but 3 & out city after that -8 yards play on 1st down. Just a huge, huge play in a tight game. Finally, there is -21. This play will be forever emblazoned into my psyche along with "4th & 17", "Rodney Woodard fumble", "illegal man downfield, Happy Valley version", and "Tremain Mack". Negative 21. We are driving into Oklahoma territory, at the OU 28, and Wyatt Milum jumps. Now 2nd & 12 from the OU 33. Then, negative 21. Just when you think you've see it all as a Mountaineer.

We need...to...CUT...THIS...SHI#...OUT. We don't need to be perfect on offense. But, we need to be efficient. And, after our first series of each game, we are dripping with inefficiency.

2. Daryl Porter Jr. really impressed me. Remember when we played Gibby-ball on "D" and our corners were sagging 8 yards off opposing WRs on 3rd & 4? Those days are gone. Our corners are ball hawks. I was concerned after the Maryland game. But, we have buttoned up whatever miscommunication was occurring then. Porter Jr. and Matthews both now look like top flight power 5 corners. Nicktroy Fortune is more than solid. We are going to need for these guys to show up Saturday, as we always seem to struggle vs. Texas Tech defensively, other than against Patrick Mahomes.

3. Our tackles are struggling. I have no doubt that Wyatt Milum is going to be good. But, is he ready right now? I just don't know. He played very well against VT, but he had his struggles Saturday. And, the one time we tried to run Leddie off tackle...he had no chance. I now understand why we are running mainly behind our center and guards. Our tackles are not doing well, and I'd like to see more of Doege under center, with a TE or perhaps two TEs, to give Leddie a fighter's chance. And, it could set up some nice play action.

4. Two QBs. Jarrett Doege played well enough to win this game. And, if Bryce Ford Wheaton comes down with that pass that hit him in his hands, we probably DO win. Garrett Greene was a major spark. He is a huge value add right now. He struggled on his drive that he was given from the OU 15, and was lucky we didn't lose his fumble. He's going to have his ups and downs. Right now, Doege is doing fine passing - not setting the world on fire - but he is able to keep the chains moving. We just need to cut out #1 above. And, then you bring Greene in to completely change the paradigm from a pocket throwing team with a good RB, to a spread option team with a good RB, and the defense has to adjust. We flat out caught OU cheating on Greene Saturday, and Leddie took full benefit. And, that is what teams are going to do now - they are going to see #6 out there and key on Greene. So, Leddie and Winston Wright are going to get lanes, and if we have enough gumption to try it...a freeze option deep ball is going to be there to Sam James. I'm liking what we are doing, but I do believe that it is F'ing with Zach Frazier's head a bit. So, it may behoove us to have a set plan for inserting #6 - such as "only inside the opposing team's 40", and not go full Steve Spurrier by using two different QBs in three plays.

5. The Big Picture. A week after defeating a ranked Virginia Tech team at home, We just stood toe-to-toe with the 3rd ranked team in the land, coached by Lincoln Riley - who some say is the best offensive mind in football. We looked the part. We fought them toe to toe, and held a team who has produced multiple Heisman trophy winning QBs over the past three years, to 16 total points on their home field - their lowest output ever under Riley. We are 2-2, and the teams who have defeated us by 9 total points are a combined 8-0. More and more, this year is reminding me of 1992, all the way down to the two-headed QB with a passer and a runner. In '92, we stumbled out of the gate with a tie to Miami(OH), picked up 3 wins over rivals Pitt, Maryland and VT...and then took a heart-wrenching loss to Syracuse, a bitter tie to BC at home, followed by a loss to Penn State in a game we should've/could've won. It felt like we were on a Road to Nowhere after an ugly, fugly loss to Rutgers by a score of, gulp, 13-9. However, just like in 1987, we were building toward something. You look at some of our most frustrating seasons in our recent memory, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1992, 2001, 2013...ultimately, we were building towards something in every one of those seasons, we just didn't know it. Because you can't even predict the future in Mountaineer sports - you just never know what is coming around the bend. Just when you think we're turned the corner and everything is great, the 1989 Pitt game happens, or the 2012 Texas Tech game. And, just when you think we're spiraling down the toilet, 1988 happens, 1993 happens, Grant Wiley jumps over Virginia Tech's entire team to stop Lee Suggs, Pac Man Jones punches Kellen Winslow Jr. in the face.

I'm not saying that this game was our 2003 Miami game. Hell, I don't know. And, please don't start with the "no moral victories" stuff -- that's such lazy thinking. If you can't learn from a loss, in football or in real life vernacular, then you're never going to move forward. The best lessons are learned from the valleys, not the peaks. No one is celebrating a loss. But, you can say - "Ok, I can take something away from this...". And, while I have my issues with Neal Brown's philosophy on offense, I can say this - I do get the feeling we're building toward something. Like '92. I just hope the players have the inner constitution and self-awareness to see it, as those two qualities are in short supply nowadays.

Big, big game Saturday to get everyone back into a positive frame of mind.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News