ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Golf Course - Twisted Gun

mneilmont

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2008
Have just found out that Twisted Gun course is going to be taken over by the Mingo County Redevelopment Authority(via Williamson Daily News). The 18 hole course was developed on reclaimed mining property. I don't know if it was about to be abandoned, but it is a very nice course. It would be an absolute shame to lose the only 18 hole course in the entire county.

I no longer live in the area, but if there is some young and enthusiastic golf/business minded person among us, it may be a wonderful opportunity. Again, I do not know any particulars, but you may find out through the MCRA. It is possibly not even available, but I wanted to give a heads up on the potential.

Have just found out that Twisted Gun course is going to be taken over by the Mingo County Redevelopment Authority(via Williamson Daily News). The 18 hole course was developed on reclaimed mining property. I don't know if it was about to be abandoned, but it is a very nice course. It would be an absolute shame to lose the only 18 hole course in the entire county.

I no longer live in the area, but if there is some young and enthusiastic golf/business minded person among us, it may be a wonderful opportunity. Again, I do not know any particulars, but you may find out through the MCRA. It is possibly not even available, but I wanted to give a heads up on the potential.

I've never played it but know about it. It's on my Golf Digest's Candidates List for Best in State in WV. It looks pretty cool in the photos I've seen.

It sure isn't a great time to be in the golf course business. So many new ones were built in the 90s. I know here in the Knoxville area, there have been 12 new courses built since 1990. The growth of the game as not kept up with the supply of courses. That is why, at least around here, you can get a great deal on joining a club. Most clubs have lowered or eliminated initiation fees and have started deals to attract new members.

I'm sure with where Twisted Gun is located, it has to be hard on them to get members/customers. I hate to see any course close-especially a quality one.

It's an excellent course but its location is tough for business; no good way to get there. I'll share a funny story. I've played that course once. I thought I was being smart and scheduled a tee time for Monday morning at 8:00 am following the course hosting a qualifier for the State Am. I show up and they aerated the greens that morning before I teed off. I couldn't believe it. They had rolled the greens for the tournament and made them rock hard so they aerated the greens trying to soften them up. They were still rock hard so you couldn't hardly hold the green on your approach shot and you couldn't putt worth a damn. Really didn't enjoy the experience. If you like Twisted Gun, you'll love Stonecrest, near Prestonsburg, KY. It's a mountaintop reclamation, links style course. I really like it.

Hopefully, the state will come to their aid to keep it open. It is one of the classy things those residents have to enjoy. Coop is correct in his assessment of the area, but that is not indicative of the residents who are going to be stuck there in a dwindling economy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT