ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion

Coach Snyder claimed he knew of two schools that would like to come back. I suspect he meant Colorado and Missouri. That doesn't mean they will actually ask, only that they are experiencing a little buyer's remorse. Your neighbor's grass does not look quite so green when you buy his house.

Coach Snyder claimed he knew of two schools that would like to come back. I suspect he meant Colorado and Missouri. That doesn't mean they will actually ask, only that they are experiencing a little buyer's remorse. Your neighbor's grass does not look quite so green when you buy his house.

....and he was most likely just referring to some of their coaches and maybe boosters. I doubt coaches have much real influence in regard to expansion.

With the Governor, UT's president, UH's president and two billionaire backers, one from each school, pushing for UH's inclusion into the B12, I wonder what their chances are? [winking]

Houston is in undoubtedly or Texas will bolt. Concession?- UT must extend the grant of rights.

The conference must get some network as well.

Ms. Orlaco, UH is in and therefore maintains the Texas block's veto power up to 14 members. I don't think they give a damn who else gets in. And they will likely sign an extension to the GOR to protect all of the Texas schools as the governor will surely want. All of the governor's backers and constituents are not in Austin.

For a guy the basically swore expansion wasn't going to happen... ...you again post with that false bravado ?

Something happened. Finally the leaders of the BIg 12 realized the ruse of "ACC/P5 teams coming" was complete fantasy and awoke to the realization they are on the verge of becoming irrelevant and maybe obsolete unless they ACT-- something they seem nearly incapable of. Everyone not named UT or OU suddenly realizes they may quickly be out of the P5.

Texas knows that OU is gone if they don't make some concessions- and that means no more LHN or no more BIG 12 revenues, No more role as a conference power either- they become another PSU or Nebraska.

But when the governor of Texas says either the U of H is added or no expansion and there are four Texas teams In That state you'd have to be naive to not realize that team is in. The media is pushing for them and BYU probably as directed by UT.

Something happened.

Something happens an uncountable amount of times each and every day. I understand that fact.... ...yet you seem surprised by it.

Point being...you're STILL expressing opinions as facts...and as if you still have not learned that things change.

--------

It's fun to watch in the short term but at some point even I start feeling sorry for you.

I think Coach Snyder was referring to Colorado, and Nebraska.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Something happens an uncountable amount of times each and every day. I understand that fact.... ...yet you seem surprised by it.

Point being...you're STILL expressing opinions as facts...and as if you still have not learned that things change.

--------

It's fun to watch in the short term but at some point even I start feeling sorry for you.

You think you are getting attention- desperately trying to stoke your massive ego by attacking me at every post I make, but no one cares what you think so it angers you they care what I think.

Laughable and pitiful. You've never been right about anything so should probably just stop writing and watch what the intelligent people here are discussing. No one wants to read your histrionic breakdowns every time you realize people are reading my posts and you still can't think of anything to say.

You think you are getting attention- desperately trying to stoke your massive ego by attacking me at every post I make, but no one cares what you think so it angers you they care what I think.

Laughable and pitiful. You've never been right about anything so should probably just stop writing and watch what the intelligent people here are discussing. No one wants to read your histrionic breakdowns every time you realize people are reading my posts and you still can't think of anything to say.

i don't 'attack you'. I call out people who don't admit they're wrong even when it has become obvious.... ....which makes you feel like a target. Just quit being wrong.

Believe me, I consider you a small fish and more of a hobby than an agenda.

Something happened. Finally the leaders of the BIg 12 realized the ruse of "ACC/P5 teams coming" was complete fantasy and awoke to the realization they are on the verge of becoming irrelevant and maybe obsolete unless they ACT-- something they seem nearly incapable of. Everyone not named UT or OU suddenly realizes they may quickly be out of the P5.

Texas knows that OU is gone if they don't make some concessions- and that means no more LHN or no more BIG 12 revenues, No more role as a conference power either- they become another PSU or Nebraska.

But when the governor of Texas says either the U of H is added or no expansion and there are four Texas teams In That state you'd have to be naive to not realize that team is in. The media is pushing for them and BYU probably as directed by UT.

The Gov of Texas may be able to blackmail and twist the arms of TexA$$ and TT, but he does not exert the same control over the two private Schools, TCU and Baylor. I can’t see why either one of those programs would want another Texas program taking away higher rated Texas recruits.

And why would the other 6 non Texas schools want to add a 5th school in the Lone star State which does little to expand the BIG12 market

The Gov of Texas may be able to blackmail and twist the arms of TexA$$ and TT, but he does not exert the same control over the two private Schools, TCU and Baylor. I can’t see why either one of those programs would want another Texas program taking away higher rated Texas recruits.

And why would the other 6 non Texas schools want to add a 5th school in the Lone star State which does little to expand the BIG12 market

I respectfully disagree. It does expand the B12 market into the fourth largest city in the USA which is currently 'owned' by the SEC. SE Texas is a lucrative market and currently missing from the B12 footprint.

That may not mean much to some, but apparently it does to the governor. Will some of the recruits from that area be lost by UT, or LSU and others? I think you know as well as I do that Texas football teams want to own all of the state, not just most of it.

Why else would the governor and the president of UT even care? If expansion happens, the inclusion of UH is mandatory to maintain veto power (control) of the B12. You are forgetting that UT also controls the vote of TCU. They got them in.

I respectfully disagree. It does expand the B12 market into the fourth largest city in the USA which is currently 'owned' by the SEC. SE Texas is a lucrative market and currently missing from the B12 footprint.

That may not mean much to some, but apparently it does to the governor. Will some of the recruits from that area be lost by UT, or LSU and others? I think you know as well as I do that Texas football teams want to own all of the state, not just most of it.

Why else would the governor and the president of UT even care? If expansion happens, the inclusion of UH is mandatory to maintain veto power (control) of the B12. You are forgetting that UT also controls the vote of TCU. They got them in.

Houston is already in the Big 12's footprint. There isn't extra money for adding the Houston market. (There isn't extra for anybody, because of the pro rata clause, but that's a different story.)

There are a variety of political reasons for the governor favoring a specific school like Houston. The same thing happened with Baylor when the Big 12 formed. The Big 12 didn't really want Baylor, but the governor and legislature put pressure on the other Texas schools to push for Baylor's inclusion. Point being, the governor's stance likely has little to do with the Big 12 or sports, and is rather due to politicians supporting a school for political benefit.

same payout adding houston as adding anyone else. it doesn't matter. another travel cost reduction for texas schools. get used to it. houston cougars will be in the west or south depending on how they split it.

With the Governor, UT's president, UH's president and two billionaire backers, one from each school, pushing for UH's inclusion into the B12, I wonder what their chances are? [winking]
For the record, 99% of Texas fans DO NOT want Houston in the Big 12. They are a commuter school that brings nothing to the table. Had only a few good seasons in the last 25 years and barely draw any fans. Why would Texas want to give another school Power 5 status and competition for recruits? And not sure why the Texas governor is opening his mouth at all. Not opposed to expansion...just anyone except UH.

i don't 'attack you'. I call out people who don't admit they're wrong even when it has become obvious.... ....which makes you feel like a target. Just quit being wrong.

Believe me, I consider you a small fish and more of a hobby than an agenda.

Yeah! Her fonts only flutter for me, Bub!

Back to the subject at hand. TV money is starting to move. You've got the fifth largest TV market in and fourth largest city in the country your conference footprint, you've got to get it locked down before someone else does.

The SEC will wait about four seconds before extending the invitation to Houston when they expand. It would be their biggest TV market and give them an even bigger chunk of those fertile Texas recruiting grounds. The Houston market is that big of a deal.

There are boatload of WVU alums in the Houston area and it's a great city. It's major air hub, it's easy to get to. Rent a car and it's 50 miles to the beach. Where are you going to find a beach that close to an away game anywhere else in the Big 12? Stillwater?

For the record, 99% of Texas fans DO NOT want Houston in the Big 12. They are a commuter school that brings nothing to the table. Had only a few good seasons in the last 25 years and barely draw any fans. Why would Texas want to give another school Power 5 status and competition for recruits? And not sure why the Texas governor is opening his mouth at all. Not opposed to expansion...just anyone except UH.

Votes, from the fourth largest city in the U.S. That's reason enough.

same payout adding houston as adding anyone else. it doesn't matter. another travel cost reduction for texas schools. get used to it. houston cougars will be in the west or south depending on how they split it.

Yes - and in fact the network partners are likely to increase and extend the contracts as well with BIG 12 expansion. They seem to favor Houston.

Back to the subject at hand. TV money is starting to move. You've got the fifth largest TV market in and fourth largest city in the country your conference footprint, you've got to get it locked down before someone else does.

The SEC will wait about four seconds before extending the invitation to Houston when they expand. It would be their biggest TV market and give them an even bigger chunk of those fertile Texas recruiting grounds. The Houston market is that big of a deal.

There are boatload of WVU alums in the Houston area and it's a great city. It's major air hub, it's easy to get to. Rent a car and it's 50 miles to the beach. Where are you going to find a beach that close to an away game anywhere else in the Big 12? Stillwater?

Texas A and M gives the SEC. Houston, but relax it looks like Texas is going to give the BIG 12 Houston. UH better deliver the top viewing in the market as a result. If they don't then it will have been yet another in a series of UT missteps for the BIg 12.

What are the odds that despite all the talk, the Big12 still does not expand because they can't get agreement on who to add or how many to add? Hard to tell with this bunch. What they say one week is not what they say the next week. I think I'll just wait until they announce something official before I believe anything.

Odds very slim the BIG 12 wont add because now its essential to their survival near and long term

Tiny little TCU established a formula to establish respect as a new member of a power 5 conference and I'm sure it will work for any added teams over a two or three year period: Play, win, repeat.

Very simple and guaranteed to work. I did not say easy.

Tiny little TCU established a formula to establish respect as a new member of a power 5 conference and I'm sure it will work for any added teams over a two or three year period: Play, win, repeat.

Very simple and guaranteed to work. I did not say easy.

Maybe WVU should try it.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Maybe WVU should try it.

You might be the most disputatious person I've seen on the message boards. Even if you try to make a positive post, ( which is very rare ) its wrought with a factious tone that makes lips pucker with a sourness of a potent lemon.

Reactions: Orlaco
Votes, from the fourth largest city in the U.S. That's reason enough.

I think many people overestimate the SEC's interest in this commuter school. And there are TONS of longhorn fans living in Houston. That city is not moving away from the Big 12 footprint by adding a school that can't even draw 30K when they are winning, to the SEC. Most people outside of Texas think Houston is full of UH fans....but it is not. If a UH game and UT game are both on TV at the same time, 90% of college football fans, with their TV's on in Houston, are watching the longhorns. Adding them is not going to move any needles for the Big 12.

Last edited:
You might be the most disputatious person I've seen on the message boards. Even if you try to make a positive post, ( which is very rare ) its wrought with a factious tone that makes lips pucker with a sourness of a potent lemon.

Well, Frazier Crane! How's Lilith and your son? :)

I think you overestimate the SEC's interest in this commuter school. And there are TONS of longhorn fans living in Houston. That city is not moving away from the Big 12 footprint by adding a school that can't even draw 30K when they are winning, to the SEC. Most people outside of Texas think Houston is full of UH fans....but it is not. If a UH game and UT game are both on TV at the same time, 90% of college football fans, with their TV's on in Houston, are watching the longhorns. Adding them is not going to move any needles for the Big 12.

Yet, all of the politicians and school administrations in Texas seem to be very pro Houston.

Houston is in, no doubt about it.

Yet, all of the politicians and school administrations in Texas seem to be very pro Houston.

Houston is in, no doubt about it.

Yep...and most can't understand why. I don't know why the politicians even have a voice in this matter. This is the Big 12...not the Texas university conference.

Yep...and most can't understand why. I don't know why the politicians even have a voice in this matter. This is the Big 12...not the Texas university conference.

I think y'all are just mad because you had Tom Herman all penciled in as the next HC. He isn't leaving Houston now. He is already pulling big time recruits without being in a power 5 conference, wait till he's in the Big12. Shew.

I think many people overestimate the SEC's interest in this commuter school. And there are TONS of longhorn fans living in Houston. That city is not moving away from the Big 12 footprint by adding a school that can't even draw 30K when they are winning, to the SEC. Most people outside of Texas think Houston is full of UH fans....but it is not. If a UH game and UT game are both on TV at the same time, 90% of college football fans, with their TV's on in Houston, are watching the longhorns. Adding them is not going to move any needles for the Big 12.

I was talking about SE Texas football fan interest in the SEC, not the other way around. Attendance is strongly affected by the quality of the opponent. TDEC Stadium seats 40,000 and drew 40,562 in a win against #15 Navy and 42,159 in a win against #21 Memphis last year.

I would be curious to see the Neilson ratings comparison of those two games to Texas playing Iowa State. Not curious enough to research it because it's really not that important to me as a WVU and B12 fan. But the formula for success in the Big 12 is the same for Houston as it is anyone else. There were 71,000 fans in attendance as UH beat #9 FSU by two touchdowns in the Peach Bowl.

Had UH been a member of the B12 it certainly wouldn't have hurt the national reputation of the conference.

Michael Walker, the premium member that purveys over the free board. Vernon should make you the moderator here.

I actually meant that as a compliment. Unfortunately you seem to think I was being crass. I find the free board to be much more entertaining than the premium one. I do enjoy the articles though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT