ADVERTISEMENT

Don Nehlen came to WVU and he was the beneficiary of good QBs

Airport

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
What is lost in our discussion is sometimes just plain luck here at WVU. When Nehlen became the head coach, his first two years he had Oliver Luck as his QB already here. He had two years under his belt and a future NFL QB quarterback.Then, Paterno sat Hostettler in a bowl game and played his fellow coaches son, Todd Blackledge. Jeff had come in and relieved him several times and led Penn state to victory( I was at that miserable weather game when Hoss is boss led Penn state from behind to beat us). He then decided to transfer and played here. After 4 years of great QB play, through no recruiting of his own, he had Kevin Whiteas QB. A Howard clone without the ability to run. It took him another 3 years to get Major because Major's grades were so bad he could come to WVU as a prop. Very few of our QB's ever seem to be a legitimate recruiting victory by our staffs. Pat White only came because we promised him a chance, something that LSU wasn't going to do. I like Dana, I think the only way someone like us is going to be competitive in the Big12 is continue to weather the storm. He is recruiting better than anyone I've seen at wVU ever. I go back to 72 as my freshman year. It's been a lot of frustration, interrupted by very short bursts of fine play. I still think that counting that first year is disingenuous at best. He was stuck in that spot when he wasn't ready. That part can be blamed on Luck. For me this is year 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News