ADVERTISEMENT

Does the HBC lack

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
the courage to make the tough calls and win a big game?

Call it swagger, arrogance, or whatever...but at some point as a HBC you have to have the courage to make the tough calls and risk it ... Does the HBC have the courage to make those tough calls or is he always going to air on the side of caution and take the safe way out?

Call it swagger, arrogance, or whatever...but at some point as a HBC you have to have the courage to make the tough calls and risk it ... Does the HBC have the courage to make those tough calls or is he always going to air on the side of caution and take the safe way out?
Went for several 4th downs last year and people bitched non stop about it.

Is Brown a great or good coach not really is he horrible not really. He is clearly a G5 mentality coach though.

Reactions: Rootmaster

yes - but could change -

This is what they should be bitching most about. Not the 4th down but the Poor game management.

The offense had the ball at the Pitt 22-yard line with 1:10 left to play down by a score. JT Daniels was sacked and instead of Neal Brown using one of his two timeouts, they took their time getting to the next play. In a total of 36 seconds, West Virginia only ran one play. That is unacceptable when there is less than a minute to play and you are trying to score.

Went for several 4th downs last year and people bitched non stop about it.

Is Brown a great or good coach not really is he horrible not really. He is clearly a G5 mentality coach though.

But not all 4th down situations are the same. Some he went for last year like 4th and 3+ in that opponent 35-40 yardline area were not good calls. A 4th and foot when Pitt hadn't stuffed you all night and were on their heels after 2 WVU scoring drives and 2 quick punts by Pitt's offense? Far better odds and situation there which is why it is even more head scratching given his history of going for it in far less favorable situations.

Reactions: BMG3 and Volatility
But not all 4th down situations are the same. Some he went for last year like 4th and 3+ in that opponent 35-40 yardline area were not good calls. A 4th and foot when Pitt hadn't stuffed you all night and were on their heels after 2 WVU scoring drives and 2 quick punts by Pitt's offense? Far better odds and situation there which is why it is even more head scratching given his history of going for it in far less favorable situations.
Well over 6 minutes left in the game and at the 48 yard line. Might seem like better odds but you can't say for sure they make it. I was happy with either decision in that situation. How many of those 4th downs last year were when WVU was leading? I'm more concerned about game management at the end.

I usually try to take everything in account for how Brown coaches and the decisions he makes. This is one time however where it was absolutely the wrong call, he knows it, he just didnt admit to it, and honestly thats the part I dislike.

Perhaps Brown is still in that "Defensive" first mentality hes had to carry the past 3 years because he didnt have an offense he could trust. So he has to "learn" to trust them... When the momentum is on your side, when multiple factors are weighted in your favor, you go for the kill. You allow your Offense to play OFFENSE.... Its called defense for a reason. When you are on Offense you have control of the game, you are attacking.

Neal's reasoning for not going for it could also be applied if they went for it and failed. They still had enough time on the clock to get 1 more possession, more time actually because if we did not get the 1st down and then pitt scored, they would have scored more quickly therefore giving us more time on the last possession.

ALLOW YOUR OFFENSE TO PLAY OFFENSE TO DEPLOY AN ATTACKING PHILOSOPHY.....

Perhaps some of this is Brown getting refamiliarized with having an offense he can trust to score, that Harrell will get it done... Sometimes people are naturally less aggressive when they are not in control, so first game in his career of not calling plays, so hopefully that improves as this team also improves.

Im optimistic we'll see good things from this team this year, realistically tho, I think we are a year away from being a 10+ win team. Still a bit to much youth at certain spots.

I usually try to take everything in account for how Brown coaches and the decisions he makes. This is one time however where it was absolutely the wrong call, he knows it, he just didnt admit to it, and honestly thats the part I dislike.

Perhaps Brown is still in that "Defensive" first mentality hes had to carry the past 3 years because he didnt have an offense he could trust. So he has to "learn" to trust them... When the momentum is on your side, when multiple factors are weighted in your favor, you go for the kill. You allow your Offense to play OFFENSE.... Its called defense for a reason. When you are on Offense you have control of the game, you are attacking.

Neal's reasoning for not going for it could also be applied if they went for it and failed. They still had enough time on the clock to get 1 more possession, more time actually because if we did not get the 1st down and then pitt scored, they would have scored more quickly therefore giving us more time on the last possession.

ALLOW YOUR OFFENSE TO PLAY OFFENSE TO DEPLOY AN ATTACKING PHILOSOPHY.....

Perhaps some of this is Brown getting refamiliarized with having an offense he can trust to score, that Harrell will get it done... Sometimes people are naturally less aggressive when they are not in control, so first game in his career of not calling plays, so hopefully that improves as this team also improves.

Im optimistic we'll see good things from this team this year, realistically tho, I think we are a year away from being a 10+ win team. Still a bit to much youth at certain spots.
I thought a new OC was hired yet nobody places blame on him for not scoring 45.

This is what they should be bitching most about. Not the 4th down but the Poor game management.

The offense had the ball at the Pitt 22-yard line with 1:10 left to play down by a score. JT Daniels was sacked and instead of Neal Brown using one of his two timeouts, they took their time getting to the next play. In a total of 36 seconds, West Virginia only ran one play. That is unacceptable when there is less than a minute to play and you are trying to score.
Coaching not to lose is in his DNA - it must be purged NOW.

Well over 6 minutes left in the game and at the 48 yard line. Might seem like better odds but you can't say for sure they make it. I was happy with either decision in that situation. How many of those 4th downs last year were when WVU was leading? I'm more concerned about game management at the end.

Hind sight is 20/20 as they say. But to still get it wrong despite having the benefit of that 20/20 sight? Neal still doesn't think this call is at least a 50/50 call.

Overall, when accounting for all the factors in this game, the decision is at least even and better than other situations Brown has gone for in the past. I think punting was the wrong call regardless of outcome. Kind of like if a QB missed throwing to a wide open receiver likely to score but instead threw it into good coverage. Even if the covered receiver makes a ridiculous play or the ball is incomplete but the drive still ultimately results in a TD, it does not make that specific throw the right call in that situation. Just like if the open guy tips it for an INT to the other team ending the drive, it does not mean throwing it to that player was the bad call.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Hind sight is 20/20 as they say. But to still get it wrong despite having the benefit of that 20/20 sight? Neal still doesn't think this call is at least a 50/50 call.

Overall, when accounting for all the factors in this game, the decision is at least even and better than other situations Brown has gone for in the past. I think punting was the wrong call regardless of outcome. Kind of like if a QB missed throwing to a wide open receiver likely to score but instead threw it into good coverage. Even if the covered receiver makes a ridiculous play or the ball is incomplete but the drive still ultimately results in a TD, it does not make that specific throw the right call in that situation. Just like if the open guy tips it for an INT to the other team ending the drive, it does not mean throwing it to that player was the bad call.
Wrong or not it wasn't the cause of the loss.

Under all of the circumstances I would go for it and I wish he would've, but its not why we lost. I mean it could've helped lead us to a win had we got it, but there were a lot of reasons we lost. The INT, pass blocking, etc, etc. If anything good came out of the game its Donaldson. That kid is a beast. Daniels played pretty good considering sPitt's DL was in his face every drop back. The DL played good. Otherwise there are a lot of things to clean up.

I hate to quote him, but the last coach once said "You want to win the game? Let's f-ing win the game."

• Love
Reactions: WVU_Dave
Wrong or not it wasn't the cause of the loss.

True. It wasn't. It was the biggest opportunity to steal victory from the jaws of defeat though. It was a winnable game, but for most of it Pitt was methodically getting their points while WVU was big play dependent. Up until that point Pitt should have been winning, yet WVU found itself up by 7 points. It was a winnable game and a winnable situation WVU found itself in late yet the whole team shat the bed, including Neal.

It was a football call that has been made by many.

Being on this list:
4gswrl.jpg

I hate to quote him, but the last coach once said "You want to win the game? Let's f-ing win the game."
Stupid movie, bad acting, but "winners want the ball with the game on the line"...coach should want it and players should want it, and I'm sure few of our playmakers did. He didn't just miss the chance to win, he also showed his level of trust in the offense. Good luck recovering from that as a leader.

Let history be your guide

Stupid movie, bad acting, but "winners want the ball with the game on the line"...coach should want it and players should want it, and I'm sure few of our playmakers did. He didn't just miss the chance to win, he also showed his level of trust in the offense. Good luck recovering from that as a leader.

Are you bad mouthing "The Replacements"? How dare you, sir!

• Haha
Reactions: WVU_Dave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT