ADVERTISEMENT

Does Doege get in for the rest of the season?

wilmingtoneer

Junior
Dec 13, 2011
Garner, NC
Now that his red-shirt is not in danger of being taken, do we see the guy come in and play. It is evident that Kendall is not the answer. Allison is not either and I doubt we will ever see Lowe. So is it time to get ready for next year and see what this guy can do. ? Discussion wanted about the question, not about the coach or anything else. Thanks.

If he is healthy and prepared to play, then sure, give him some reps to see how he does.

If he can't lose his redshirt by playing then they might as well play him some. But I don't think Kendall is that bad and it wouldn't surprise me to see him starting for WVU in 2020. If WVU had a running game and WRs not dropping passes then the QB would look way better.

I don't think Kendall is that bad and it wouldn't surprise me to see him starting for WVU in 2020.

As much as I would like to see him be the guy...I have to wonder what games you have been watching. 1. AK is a statute and when he runs he moves slower than a d lineman. 2. His throws are often high...wide...balloon like and anywhere but to the receiver. 3. He looks like a deer in the headlights with his eyes. 4. Cannot throw the deep ball well. All of this means a very limited group of plays he can execute. That said...with everything that is with this team he probably will be the starter on an improved team next year...since he apparently is the best of a bunch of questionables. Look for us to be thin again at QB next year with Allison and Lowe gone....Lowe from frustration and Allison because he isn't that good.

If he can't lose his redshirt by playing then they might as well play him some. But I don't think Kendall is that bad and it wouldn't surprise me to see him starting for WVU in 2020. If WVU had a running game and WRs not dropping passes then the QB would look way better.

You must not be watching the games if you think Kendall isn't "that bad"......good grief......

Let's see....which team gave up 8 sacks last night???? And their QB still was able to have a very solid night.....hmmm......

Well, nobody said Kendall was as good as Brewer. Also, Baylor was able to run the ball way better than WVU, which took pressure off the QB and which gave him 2nd & 3 or 4 or 5 instead of 2nd and 8 or 9 or 10.

Brewer was far more accurate than Kendall, but caused many of his own sacks by holding on to the ball forever.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Well, nobody said Kendall was as good as Brewer. Also, Baylor was able to run the ball way better than WVU, which took pressure off the QB and which gave him 2nd & 3 or 4 or 5 instead of 2nd and 8 or 9 or 10.

Perhaps we shouldn't have called 4 or 5 QB draws with Kendall? And perhaps we should try actually running the ball, and not sending 5 guys in motion and trying to block the other team's 7 men in the box with 5 guys.

Reactions: ctruck_01
Perhaps we shouldn't have called 4 or 5 QB draws with Kendall? And perhaps we should try actually running the ball, and not sending 5 guys in motion and trying to block the other team's 7 men in the box with 5 guys.

WVU has tried actuall run plays all season long. How's that worked out so far?

Reactions: LAMountaineer
Austin is a problem...the problem. The guy is a statute...with a weak, inaccurate arm and an indecisive air about him. That sure as hell doesn't help the running game. Crowd it and maybe he'll throw lol. Line oddly though pass protects better than bull rushing or any kind of run game line play. Maybe they like AK and don't want him to be crushed out there.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
Back to the original point...

Kendall is the starter. It's his show. You play Doege if:

1) The team under Kendall is stalled out and you feel Doege can give you a spark.Otherwise, if Kendall has the offense rolling, you keep him on the bench or play him a series or two if the game is well in hand.
2) You want to try to spark the running game. Use him as a runner with a lead (Brown) to get numbers on the edge. May as well give up trying to run the middle, our interior linemen have proven all year they can't get a push - while they're no longer freshmen in experience, they still are in strength and size.

To add, Doege could give you the option of a true running QB (I don't know). Just having that could keep a backer in as a spy and possibly open up some throwing lanes.

I don’t think you can just throw Kendall away at this point. But it doesn’t hurt to throw Doege in there and see what happens. See how he reacts in game situations.

What the hell have we got to lose?

Reactions: Rootmaster
WVU does lead the Big 12 in dropped passes. Possibly not to far off of leading the nation in dropped passes.

You cannot possibly look at the season stats and think Kendall is good. Brown hand picked him though and will stick with him next season probably because of that. Dont expect improvement as a result— although it would be nearly impossible to have a worse running game ( which Brown touted before the season as great - before he coached them down into the dregs).

WVU has the worst offense in the BIG 12 and one of the worst in the nation. Its not just from drops - which you figure the coaches might have come up with a plan to deal with by now.

I don’t think you can just throw Kendall away at this point. But it doesn’t hurt to throw Doege in there and see what happens. See how he reacts in game situations.

What the hell have we got to lose?

Agreed. Kendall has proven enough to me that he could run the offense decently with more weapons, a run game and a better line in front of him. However, I suspect that Doege is much better and the only thing that stopped it from being the Doege show this year is that he was cleared so late by the NCAA. I think Brown almost certainly had to give the reps to the guy he knew 100% sure would be eligible this year and apparently Kendall is just that much better in practice than Lowe, Allison, and Jackson. It will probably be Doege/Kendall next year with a 3rd qb on the roster to run the scout team as having 5 qb's on the roster probably isn't tenable moving forward. An additional two scholarships to spread around for pretty much any other position would prove to be more fruitful for the depth and long-term health of this program.

WVU has the worst offense in the BIG 12 and one of the worst in the nation. Its not just from drops - which you figure the coaches might have come up with a plan to deal with by now.

2kzqxw.jpg

With the inept WVU line blocking it's difficult for any QB. Sure, Baylor survived 8 sacks. But our extremely young team can't, no matter who is at QB. I'll be happy if we can beat Texas Tech and start a winning streak. Losing is so much no fun.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Now that his red-shirt is not in danger of being taken, do we see the guy come in and play. It is evident that Kendall is not the answer. Allison is not either and I doubt we will ever see Lowe. So is it time to get ready for next year and see what this guy can do. ? Discussion wanted about the question, not about the coach or anything else. Thanks.

The main question I have is: Has Doege, or any of the others, proven in practice that they are a better option than AK. I don't know. But, if I were a betting man, I would say that the answer is "No". Yes, I realize that Doege's red-shirt is no longer at risk. But, unless he's proven at practice that he's a better option, how can HCNB make a change. I guess we will all find out on Saturday.

Well the season is one long audition and future build. Given the stupid 4 games don't count against eligibility rule...gotta give Doege and maybe Lowe a shot so decisions about QB for next year can be made this year. If NB opts to keep the status quo then the hard part of the clumb will be there again next year. Winning a game or two in the rest of the season isn't worth not looking. You simply cant make QB value decisions at practice during season. Not enough time...attention...and reps. That's why Pat White was third string until the issue was forced. Not starting Doege after what we've seen would be flat out dumb.

Allison has a better QB rating this season than Kendall does, but obviously Brown doesn't like him so won't play him.

Doege--hasn't played at this level so we just don't know.

Allison has a better QB rating this season than Kendall does, but obviously Brown doesn't like him so won't play him.

Doege--hasn't played at this level so we just don't know.

Allison is a 4 star flop.

Doege and Lowe I haven't seen enough to determine what they are capable of. Except spring sessions...

2018: Named to the preseason Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Watch List … Started all 12 games at quarterback … First quarterback to start every game for the Falcons since Matt Johnson in 2015 … Was 242-of-389 passing (62.2 percent) for 2660 yards … Threw 27 touchdowns and 12 interceptions …. Led the MAC in passing touchdowns and passing yards … Among the top 50 nationally in completion percentage, completions per game, passing touchdowns, passing yards and points responsible for … Scored two rushing touchdowns … Was 3-for-3 passing on two-point conversion attempts … Also punted three times, downing all three inside the 20 … Passed for a career-high 379 yards against Western Michigan, throwing three touchdowns … Had 305 yards passing at Georgia Tech … Was 28-of-39 with four touchdown passes against Eastern Kentucky; also rushed for a touchdown … Threw at least three touchdown passes in five different contests.

2017: Completed one of the two greatest statistical seasons by a true freshman quarterback in program history … Became the first true freshman quarterback to start a game since Brian McClure in 1982 when he took the first snap against Akron … Started five games on the season and threw for 250+ yards four times … Had a season-high 294 yards passing at Buffalo, going 28-of-43 … Threw a season-high four touchdowns against Toledo … Over the final four games of the season, threw 11 touchdowns and just two interceptions … Had a pair of rushing touchdowns as well … Completed 63.8 percent of his passes, the eighth-best single season in school history.

High School: Threw for 3,363 yards and 33 touchdowns in 2016 for Cooper High School … Led one of the top programs in Texas to the state quarterfinals … Was named first team all-district … Older brother Seth was a star quarterback at Texas Tech and is currently Receivers Coach at Bowling Green.

The main question I have is: Has Doege, or any of the others, proven in practice that they are a better option than AK. I don't know. But, if I were a betting man, I would say that the answer is "No". Yes, I realize that Doege's red-shirt is no longer at risk. But, unless he's proven at practice that he's a better option, how can HCNB make a change. I guess we will all find out on Saturday.

A couple of years ago when Grier had to sit out his year due to the transfer from Florida and suspension, he was the quarterback running the scout team offense and the word from Gibson back then was that he was "killing it in practice". Fast forward to Caridi's podcast from last week and he said that he's heard that Doege is performing similarly to what Grier was in the same role. Does that mean he's Grier? Absolutely not. But...what it does say (if true) is that the kid is handling everything that has been asked of him to this point and in my opinion, deserves at least two whole games out of these last four. My gut feeling is that the decision rests more with Brown establishing "his word is his bond" with the players and while that is very important, there are other things to consider in this historically bad offensive team.

It's obvious a bowl is not happening? So does he play Doege the final 4 games?

Why did Doege leave Bowling Green?

I'm not sure what the motivation of the "play 4 games and keep your redshirt" rule is but common sense tells me that teams having poor seasons are going to use the last four games to devleop young player but not having it cost them a season because they can still redshirt.

Doege left because of coaching change. Which is ironic because transferring means you're changing coaches.

Doege started 17 games in two seasons at Bowling Green, compiling 4,041 passing yards, 39 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions on a 62.7% completion rate. As a true freshman, Doege took the starting job from James Morgan, who transferred to FIU and served as the Panthers’ starter for the 2018 season. In a successful sophomore year, Doege started all 12 games for the Falcons and tied for 18th in the FBS with 27 touchdown passes.

Doege left because of coaching change. Which is ironic because transferring means you're changing coaches.

Doege started 17 games in two seasons at Bowling Green, compiling 4,041 passing yards, 39 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions on a 62.7% completion rate. As a true freshman, Doege took the starting job from James Morgan, who transferred to FIU and served as the Panthers’ starter for the 2018 season. In a successful sophomore year, Doege started all 12 games for the Falcons and tied for 18th in the FBS with 27 touchdown passes.

Geez, he sounds pretty good, I thought he was just some shot in the dark. Maybe we've got something there.

Geez, he sounds pretty good, I thought he was just some shot in the dark. Maybe we've got something there.

We'll never know until we see him play a couple of games. Of course it will be with the same OL unfortunately.

Why did Doege leave Bowling Green?

I'm not sure what the motivation of the "play 4 games and keep your redshirt" rule is but common sense tells me that teams having poor seasons are going to use the last four games to devleop young player but not having it cost them a season because they can still redshirt.

His brother went there to coach with Mike Jinks
Jinks was fired and went to SC. His brother went to Los Angeles as well.
USC didn't want him so I guess he hooked up with his brother's former OC.

There isn’t a QB, RB, WR or TE in the roster that will make the impact needed until the o-line gets fixed. I would be more excited if we were ripping redshirts off of o-line guy that are ready to take somebody’s job and send them to the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT