ADVERTISEMENT

Diaco out after 3 seasons at UCONN

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
I quit following them, so I don't know if the guy was a slug or had the bad fortune of having accepted a no-win job 3 years ago.

Anyway, this brand new opening.....which ESPN is aligning early in the process with Penn State assistant Joe Moorhead.....would seem to be one which won't be exactly flush with high quality candidates. Makes me wonder if the great Randy Edsall might be checking to see if the numbers leftover in his cellphone from his Storrs days still connect.

Not saying he's a great candidate; but outside some young guy from the damned Yankee Conference, I'm not altogether sure who'd be a better choice these days.

They will go with an offensive approach route for a head coach, in my opinion. Look for some Big 10 offensive coordinators or ACC offensive coordinators to take a shot at this opening.

Or....PJ Fleck at Western Michigan may be looking for a new job.

That school cares more bout women's basketball and the football 'fans' care more about the Sox vs Yanks than college football. If you look at their only real successful football year (fiesta bowl), they still didn't sell 3k tickets.

Also the other head coaches in the Big Easy whose teams were Conference co champions both lost their jobs (Stewart and Wannstedt). Add in that Edsall took the Maryland job not even returning with that team from AZ, and it speaks volumes bout how baaaad of a football job that is.

They will go with an offensive approach route for a head coach, in my opinion. Look for some Big 10 offensive coordinators or ACC offensive coordinators to take a shot at this opening.

Or....PJ Fleck at Western Michigan may be looking for a new job.

Maybe UCONN can/will pay more, but I'm not altogether sure Fleck doesn't already have a better job......in any event, it's certainly a more manageable one.....in Kalamazoo.

UConn is a dead end job. Shocked they had the early success they had in D1 reaching the Fiesta Bowl (albeit probably the worst auto bid team to participate in a high profile game like that) and a lot of other bowl games. Their program is currently at where I always envisioned it going with no support, tradition, stadium, recruiting base, etc.

As for candidates for that job, any halfway decent coordinator with NE recruiting ties will get a serious look, wouldn't be surprised if Edsall got a call. Do not expect Fleck or any mildly high profile coach from the MAC or FCS to take a call from Storrs seriously.

Espn is reporting they are actually considering Randy Edsall according to Brett McMurphy.

I will NEVER understand a school hiring back a coach who has success then leaves for another school and fails and can't get another job. it's like taking back a spouse who you had a good thing with then who left you for another to get married to and then that marriage blows up and you forgive and forget and take them back. Live out the windshield not the rear view mirror.

Espn is reporting they are actually considering Randy Edsall according to Brett McMurphy.

I will NEVER understand a school hiring back a coach who has success then leaves for another school and fails and can't get another job. it's like taking back a spouse who you had a good thing with then who left you for another to get married to and then that marriage blows up and you forgive and forget and take them back. Live out the windshield not the rear view mirror.

They re-hired Edsell. Some of their fans will never forgive him for the way he left to take the Maryland job. Very similar to Richrod and WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT