ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy how our expectations have decreased with Mountaineer football

We went from being ranked almost every year to being predicted to finish last in the B12. Neal Brown doesn't exude confidence and neither do his teams. He lacks the edge we need

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
He hasn't forgot how to coach. Just much more difficult for a program like WVU to compete in today's climate. I mean, look at #5 LSU who just got blown out by a program ranked right below PSU.

He hasn't forgot how to coach. Just much more difficult for a program like WVU to compete in today's climate. I mean, look at #5 LSU who just got blown out by a program ranked right below PSU.
Why is it more difficult for WVU? We are still in the P4.

personally, I do not think expectations have fallen, it's just the outcome is not meeting expectation. The expectation is to alway to play competitively and place ourselves in a position to win. PSU is very good and we played much better than the team of last year likely would have played. We just didn't get ourselves into position to win.......because they were better, much better. We didn't quit. PSU was just more superior of a team.

all the blame on Brown, or this or that, does't really matter much to me as I get older. I just simply love seeing our team compete. That expectation has never fallen.

personally, I do not think expectations have fallen, it's just the outcome is not meeting expectation. The expectation is to alway to play competitively and place ourselves in a position to win. PSU is very good and we played much better than the team of last year likely would have played. We just didn't get ourselves into position to win.......because they were better, much better. We didn't quit. PSU was just more superior of a team.

all the blame on Brown, or this or that, does't really matter much to me as I get older. I just simply love seeing our team compete. That expectation has never fallen.
I think it would have been same result regardless of year. That’s the point a lot of us are making. We’re stagnant. We’re consistent for 5-6 wins. That’s unacceptable for the WVU program. That’s below our standard at WVU. It would be like Ohio State suddenly peaking annually at 8-9 wins.

Reactions: Jdodd312
I remember 9 win seasons and the same people bitched because we weren't winning 12 games a season. Need less bitching and more realistic expectations while supporting the team. The administration will make decisions whether you bitch or not.

I am not sure who you are speaking for? My expectations for WVU FB have not changed! I am not happy. My friends are not happy. I suspect most WVU fans are not happy.

I was not happy with what I saw from this coaching staff on Saturday. If we end this season with less than 7 wins, there has to be a change. We have to start winning. Time is up.

I am not sure who you are speaking for? My expectations for WVU FB have not changed! I am not happy. My friends are not happy. I suspect most WVU fans are not happy.

I was not happy with what I saw from this coaching staff on Saturday. If we end this season with less than 7 wins, there has to be a change. We have to start winning. Time is up.
I agree except I would move on no matter what. He could win 9 this season and I would still think he's not the right coach for WVU.

From The Smoking Musket:

With Duke jumping into the Top 25 this week, here's the updated list of programs who haven't been ranked in the AP poll for a single week during the Neal Brown era:

Boston College
Georgia Tech
Rutgers
Texas Tech (who routinely beats us)
Vanderbilt
Arizona
West Virginia

Those are the peers now.

From The Smoking Musket:

With Duke jumping into the Top 25 this week, here's the updated list of programs who haven't been ranked in the AP poll for a single week during the Neal Brown era:

Boston College
Georgia Tech
Rutgers
Texas Tech (who routinely beats us)
Vanderbilt
Arizona
West Virginia

Those are the peers now.
It’s more than obvious at this point what needs to happen.

I remember 9 win seasons and the same people bitched because we weren't winning 12 games a season. Need less bitching and more realistic expectations while supporting the team. The administration will make decisions whether you bitch or not.

It is not an unrealistic expectation to ask for a coach that shows a glimmer of possibility to field a team like the '88, '93, '05, and '07 Mountaineers. You are right that the admin will do whatever it will do despite our bitching. But if the admin isn't even going to try for a coach that can at least provide the slightest reason to hope, then walking away as a fan is on the table. It's not fair weather, it is responding appropriately to the admin abandoning the fans.

It is not an unrealistic expectation to ask for a coach that shows a glimmer of possibility to field a team like the '88, '93, '05, and '07 Mountaineers. You are right that the admin will do whatever it will do despite our bitching. But if the admin isn't even going to try for a coach that can at least provide the slightest reason to hope, then walking away as a fan is on the table. It's not fair weather, it is responding appropriately to the admin abandoning the fans.
A lot already have. It’s definitely not unreasonable. Kansas State literally has no advantages over WVU and they do it.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Time to bring back Rodriguez. Like him or hate him his teams show up.
his last game, team did not show up. Then he tried to leave town to line his pocket with Michigan cash. He is not welcomed by many to ever return to the state including me.

Reactions: Euell
his last game, team did not show up. Then he tried to leave town to line his pocket with Michigan cash. He is not welcomed by many to ever return to the state including me.
Time heals wounds. And the program hasn’t been the same since. People change and times change. Besides, all he really did was change jobs. And it had a good reason. It was Michigan. A dream job for any HC in college football. There’s only about 9 schools in the country in that trajectory. ND, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas, USC. Everyone else is next tier

Time heals wounds. And the program hasn’t been the same since. People change and times change. Besides, all he really did was change jobs. And it had a good reason. It was Michigan. A dream job for any HC in college football. There’s only about 9 schools in the country in that trajectory. ND, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas, USC. Everyone else is next tier
Time will never heal a stab in the back.

As with Huggins, that ship has sailed.

Neal Brown is blaming the tough scheduling now, for his woes. WTF is wrong with this guy, seriously? I wish they would fire him today. He could win out, and I'm still over him. Why can't he just take accountability and leave it at that? Why does he run his big mouth and whine about everything, every year, after all his losses? PSU's backups score a TD after Neal stopped the clock twice? "It will come back on them" "oh but I aint mad, I'm not whining, its ok...im just saying, its will come back around on them, doh!".... That passive aggressive kind of garbage is stupid. Sick of it. This dude is a teen trapped in a mans body. Send him packing Wren, please.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
It was mostly because he was getting a huge raise, but I know Ed P very well on a personal basis, and I've said this on here before --and I understand if folks dont believe it, but actual the truth is, Rich Rod left because of Joe Manchin...and the money of course. But the big kicker was Joe Manchin forcing himself into the program. Their friendship was not as mutual as people may think. Rich Rod was 100% against playing Marshall and doing the coal bowl. He wanted to play better opponents who would make WVU more money. He didnt get his way. On top of that, Manchin meddled in everything and thought his ol buddy was going to be ok with it. He wasnt. Under the surface is pissed Rich off.

Its usually not what people think. They can harbor hate for 20 years, and not welcome someone back into their state and its ok. It just is what it is. Personally I think its silly but whatever.. I get that folks dont like feeling like they were stabbed in the back on anything (even though we keep electing the same fools in Charleston). I just dont feel that way about Rich anymore. Ive been over it for a while. I wasnt ok with hiring him back in the past because I wanted a better coach. At ths point, he would be a massive upgrade and I would welcome him to coach this team.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
It was mostly because he was getting a huge raise, but I know Ed P very well on a personal basis, and I've said this on here before --and I understand if folks dont believe it, but actual the truth is, Rich Rod left because of Joe Manchin...and the money of course. But the big kicker was Joe Manchin forcing himself into the program. Their friendship was not as mutual as people may think. Rich Rod was 100% against playing Marshall and doing the coal bowl. He wanted to play better opponents who would make WVU more money. He didnt get his way. On top of that, Manchin meddled in everything and thought his ol buddy was going to be ok with it. He wasnt. Under the surface is pissed Rich off.

Its usually not what people think. They can harbor hate for 20 years, and not welcome someone back into their state and its ok. It just is what it is. Personally I think its silly but whatever.. I get that folks dont like feeling like they were stabbed in the back on anything (even though we keep electing the same fools in Charleston). I just dont feel that way about Rich anymore. Ive been over it for a while. I wasnt ok with hiring him back in the past because I wanted a better coach. At ths point, he would be a massive upgrade and I would welcome him to coach this team.
If we chose to bring Rodriguez back, it should be a 2 way street. Stop the nonsense of “coming home indefinitely” and understand if he wants to leave again, so be it. If he doesn’t perform, WVU can fire him and so be it. It’s a business. Not a family affair. It’s to win. Period

He wanted to play better opponents who would make WVU more money. He didnt get his way.
2001 - 4 ranked teams
2002 - 4 ranked teams
2003 - 5 ranked teams
2004 - 3 ranked teams
2005 - 3 ranked teams
2006 - 2 ranked teams
2007 - 5 ranked teams
2008 - 2011 - 6 ranked teams in 4 years.

Not until Big 12 did it pick back up. Rod coached against 26 ranked teams (12-14). I don't see why he would cry over the schedule.

Reactions: eerlite
If we chose to bring Rodriguez back, it should be a 2 way street. Stop the nonsense of “coming home indefinitely” and understand if he wants to leave again, so be it. If he doesn’t perform, WVU can fire him and so be it. It’s a business. Not a family affair. It’s to win. Period
This is correct. It is a Business. Always, has been and is even more so now that players are being paid so it makes it even more evident.. All of this stabbing in the back by Rodriguez, etc... is just part of the business... just like getting rid of Brown because he isn't a P5 coach... In some ways you could say Brown is stabbing us in the back by not being able to field a qualified team that can compete in the Big 12.. To get picked last in a conference that just added 4 non power 5 teams is all you need to know on why this staff should be canned as soon as we financially can because again... It is a business.....

2001 - 4 ranked teams
2002 - 4 ranked teams
2003 - 5 ranked teams
2004 - 3 ranked teams
2005 - 3 ranked teams
2006 - 2 ranked teams
2007 - 5 ranked teams
2008 - 2011 - 6 ranked teams in 4 years.

Not until Big 12 did it pick back up. Rod coached against 26 ranked teams (12-14). I don't see why he would cry over the schedule.
I dont think it were the schedule, but moreso Joe Manchin getting too involved and not getting the message. They all have too big of ego's to handle that kind of shit.

I dont think it were the schedule, but moreso Joe Manchin getting too involved and not getting the message. They all have too big of ego's to handle that kind of shit.
It was Joe Manchin who nearly hired Jimbo Fisher then bent over to Pat White demands on the field that they Hire Bill Stewart. Joe did intervene on scheduling Marshall.

It was Joe Manchin who nearly hired Jimbo Fisher then bent over to Pat White demands on the field that they Hire Bill Stewart. Joe did intervene on scheduling Marshall.
Manchin is a jackass. Ed, love that dude but he was too nice to handle all these big egos lol. He was in over his head at that time.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT