ADVERTISEMENT

Country Roads Is NOT About West Virginia

How can you guys let this stupid troll grab hold of your nuts and hang on so tight with this tired old tripe? Just sing "blue ridged mountains" and move on. My God. You want to start a good argument? Put it out there that the state of WV owns the Ohio River to the low water mark on the Ohio side. Should it be called the WV river even though the state of OH was named after the river and not vice versa?

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Idiots who think the song is not about West Virginia have never been to Harpers Ferry, a town within the Blue Ridge Mountains which has the end of the Shanandoah River run through it... It also happens to be one of he most aesthetically beautiful towns in the world, completely worthy of a song.

Then why in the ____ hasn't this been done while the spam posters have ruined this board over the last year? I thought monitoring this place was "too much"?

It's just a way to get people to buy into a membership on the Blue Lot since they wouldn't let the spam shit happen over there.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I am putting wayyyyy too much thought into this... but here is what I wondered.
I think Bill Danoff wrote Country Roads. (He was in Starland Vocal Band.) I think he also lived around Alexandria, VA in the early 1970s. If you drive out of the city on a weekend - coming from Loudon County, VA... you cross the Blue Ridge (VA-WV stateline is on top of the mountain)... and come down the WV side of the mountain - and cross the Shenandoah River into Charles Town.

Maybe Shenandoah River and Blue Ridge aren't the most emblematic of the state - but the song isn't wrong.

Now - I will try never to think of this again. -Winter Tim

Country Roads...
It is alright

This is my favorite song about WV....
Chris Knight probably one of the Top 20-25 musicians the last 25 years.

Reactions: Phil
Nobody gives a crap about what you say. Nobody gives a crap about what OP troll has to say. If WVU fans want to sing Country Roads then I see no problem with it.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
The country roads in this song are in West Virginia, but Denver had never even been to West Virginia. Bill and Taffy Danoff started writing the song while driving to Maryland - they'd never been to West Virginia either! Danoff got his inspiration from postcards sent to him by a friend who DID live there, and from listening to the powerful AM station WWVA out of Wheeling, West Virginia, which he picked up in Massachusetts when he was growing up.

Bill Danoff told NPR in 2011: "I just thought the idea that I was hearing something so exotic to me from someplace as far away. West Virginia might as well have been in Europe, for all I knew."

The Shenandoah River is in West Virginia, running right through Harper's Ferry into the Potomac. The Blue Ridge Mountain Ranges run in a strip from northeast West Virginia to its southwest across the eastern part of the state. Clopper Road originates in Gaithersburg, Maryland. It was a single lane road, but is now a busy four-lane road that heads to Germantown, Maryland. No country road anymore... not even close! It is attainable by exiting off of I-270 at Exit 10.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/john-denver/take-me-home-country-roads

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT