ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations!

The problem that I had with the move to C-USA was twofold! First, it was made in a closed door meeting by three people ( Marcum, Bob and Angel) all of whom are long gone and was made with any input being welcomed or sought! Secondly, it should have been clear that that league was falling apart and we would be stuck with no natural rivals and massive travel costs, not to mention the human coats of a girl having to travel to from Huntington to El Paso to play tennis and turn around and come right back. TCU wanted out before the flirtation with C-USA ever began and they were the crown jewel. One the Big East fell apart and needed new blood, UC and Louisville were going to bolt for a chance to be BCS teams and they would have been our natural rivals but they were gone....but we joined anyway! Madness!

Those 3 guys pretty much screwed you guys at every turn.
There's really no need for the animosity between our schools, but those 3 made sure to build as much animosity as they could.

The problem that I had with the move to C-USA was twofold! First, it was made in a closed door meeting by three people ( Marcum, Bob and Angel) all of whom are long gone and was made with any input being welcomed or sought! Secondly, it should have been clear that that league was falling apart and we would be stuck with no natural rivals and massive travel costs, not to mention the human coats of a girl having to travel to from Huntington to El Paso to play tennis and turn around and come right back. TCU wanted out before the flirtation with C-USA ever began and they were the crown jewel. One the Big East fell apart and needed new blood, UC and Louisville were going to bolt for a chance to be BCS teams and they would have been our natural rivals but they were gone....but we joined anyway! Madness!

So to make a long story short - you would be perfectly happy if the MAC would take you in for the third time when you go begging at their door......... .

I don't see the Herd going back to the MAC. In fact, I think the only potential move the Herd may be able to make, would be going to the American, which of course, would all be contingent on getting an invite, as well as Marshall accepting.

The hell of it is, the only way that would ever occur, assuming the American would never expand on their own, would be if the Big 12 were to expand to 14, and absorb three current members of the American. The American would likely have to once again raid C-USA to fill the void, and that's where it gets iffy for the Herd. Southern Miss would be attractive to them, as would teams like Middle Tennessee, UNC-Charlotte, and Old Dominion. Even Louisiana Tech and Western Kentucky would get looks.

Those 3 guys pretty much screwed you guys at every turn.
There's really no need for the animosity between our schools, but those 3 made sure to build as much animosity as they could.
I wonder how much animosity really exists...I guess we're competitors for state funding and such.

So to make a long story short - you would be perfectly happy if the MAC would take you in for the third time when you go begging at their door......... .
The MAC would take us back in a heartbeat if we wanted to go back...personally I 'd go back but many of my fellow MU folks would disagree.

I don't see the Herd going back to the MAC. In fact, I think the only potential move the Herd may be able to make, would be going to the American, which of course, would all be contingent on getting an invite, as well as Marshall accepting.

The hell of it is, the only way that would ever occur, assuming the American would never expand on their own, would be if the Big 12 were to expand to 14, and absorb three current members of the American. The American would likely have to once again raid C-USA to fill the void, and that's where it gets iffy for the Herd. Southern Miss would be attractive to them, as would teams like Middle Tennessee, UNC-Charlotte, and Old Dominion. Even Louisiana Tech and Western Kentucky would get looks.
Yes, we have no TV market...just kills us!

The MAC would take us back in a heartbeat if we wanted to go back...personally I 'd go back but many of my fellow MU folks would disagree.

I'm not so sure the MAC would welcome Marshall back with open arms........but all joking aside that is where the Herd truly belongs.

I'm not so sure the MAC would welcome Marshall back with open arms........but all joking aside that is where the Herd truly belongs.
That wouldn't hurt my feelings, as I would be able to easily attend games, but I just don't see it happening, but then again, I would have lost my left nut betting on WVU being in the Big 12, had someone placed a wager prior to 2011.

That wouldn't hurt my feelings, as I would be able to easily attend games, but I just don't see it happening, but then again, I would have lost my left nut betting on WVU being in the Big 12, had someone placed a wager prior to 2011.
Yes, the games are easy to attend and in it's current configuration, I think the MAC is superior to C-USA top to bottom!

Reactions: old buzzard
Yes, the games are easy to attend and in it's current configuration, I think the MAC is superior to C-USA top to bottom!
Top to Bottom, I too would give the edge to the MAC, but CUSA has an edge when it comes to the top 4 or 5 of each conference.

Top to Bottom, I too would give the edge to the MAC, but CUSA has an edge when it comes to the top 4 or 5 of each conference.
I agree that WKU would have beaten any team in the MAC last year! And that we would have easily beaten any team in the MAC two years ago.

I wonder how much animosity really exists...I guess we're competitors for state funding and such.

There certainly is with some within the fanbases where there wasn't before. And the comments from Dandy Dan and the response from Huggins suggests there definitely is some there. The behavior that I saw from many Marshall fans, especially in that first game at WVU would suggest there's quite a bit as well.

I will say for me ... I used to love Marshall and root for them. Now I don't care if the entire program folds, and it all traces back to the big (little) 3 you mentioned. There was just no point in some of the actions and statements that were made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT