ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment and Value

SilverSpringWVU

All-Conference
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2001
Reading various message boards I keep seeing the work "value" come up . The Big said that Oregon and Washington don't add value in order for them to expand. However the Big 12 would most likely say that those two schools add a ton of value. With the SEC and Big 's TV deals being so high compared to the ACC, PAC and Big 12 you can see what these two conferences mean. If your a school looking to jump adding 35 million worth of value to a new conference is a lot easier than adding 50 to 60 million to keep all the schools in that conference from taking a pay cut by adding you.

I'm also starting to see why some on this board want to take Arizona and wait. Taking Arizona would add another partner for BYU and Colorado. Plus it adds a basketball blue blood. But by waiting the picture will become clearer in a few years or less. Most likely there will be more programs available.

I think both the Big and the SEC would love to get their hands on UNC. I'm sure both would like UVA as well. After that does FSU and Clemson bring enough to increase the payout over the 60 million dollar yearly TV contract the Big has. I just don't see FSU or Clemson going to the SEC. UNC and UVA I could see both going to either the SEC or Big 10.

In a perfect world FSU, Miami and Clemson get left behind from the SEC. Then the Big 10 passes on Oregon and Washington. The Big is able to scoop Oregon and Washington to go along with Arizona and Colorado. Giving them 5 western teams when you consider BYU. Then scoop up Va. Tech, NC State, Clemson, FSU or Miami. For selfish reasons I would like Pitt because I do feel rivalry games are going to carry wait in the new streaming world. But I would chuckle slightly if they were left out. Ga. Tech is one club I'm not sure about.

With the teams mentioned I think that would make 21 so you would either need to add 3 more or cut one of the ACC teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News