ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Championship Game

skygusty

All-Conference
May 14, 2003
This year would not have made any difference. Another win for either of the Okies doesn't put them in the playoff. 13th data point irrelevant. On the positive side, it would have generated more money, WVU might have gotten to play in the game had both Oklahoma schools been in the same divisions. We could have been conference champs with two losses.

This year would not have made any difference. Another win for either of the Okies doesn't put them in the playoff. 13th data point irrelevant. On the positive side, it would have generated more money, WVU might have gotten to play in the game had both Oklahoma schools been in the same divisions. We could have been conference champs with two losses.
I think you mean if both Oklahoma schools had been in the same division.

I will say again, we do NOT need a conference championship game. It only hurts us. The 13th data point was just an excuse to leave Baylor/TCU out and now it's proven. The only way WVU will get into the final four is if we go undefeated and the odds of that decrease significantly if we have to add another game. Just like this year, if we had a conference championship game, we STILL would not have been invited. The powers that be will not let us in unless we go undefeated, and they will still gripe about letting us in even then, they'll say we won ugly, schedule was too weak, yada yada yada.

Please BIG 12, drop the idea of a championship game. It's just a ruse to get anybody but Texas and Oklahoma another chance to lose a game and be excluded from the final 4. If Texas or Oklahoma were TCU/Baylor the year they got left out, those blue dogs would've been selected. We need to do like Washington, have cream puff OOC schedules, do our best to win the conference and go undefeated and they will not keep an undefeated Power 5 school out of the final four unless there are 3 other undefeated teams and a 1 loss SEC team. Our odds are better of getting in if we have a weak OOC and have an undefeated conference champ. A conference championship game is just another chance for a blemish.

Bob Bowlsby in an ESPN article yesterday:

"Obviously I acknowledge the difficulty of the task, but I'm not sure what I advise my members right now, because we've been telling them that non-conference schedules matter, and one of the four has an exceedingly weak non-conference schedule," he said, referring to No. 4 Washington, which notched wins over Rutgers, Idaho and FCS Portland State. "And we've been telling them the 13th data point matters, and we added a conference championship game because of that. We've always heard that conference championships matter and division championships matter, and now it's confusing." (Ohio State is #3 in the final CFP Rankings without either)

He added, "I'll have some questions to ask when the time is right."

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Bob Bowlsby in an ESPN article yesterday:

"Obviously I acknowledge the difficulty of the task, but I'm not sure what I advise my members right now, because we've been telling them that non-conference schedules matter, and one of the four has an exceedingly weak non-conference schedule," he said, referring to No. 4 Washington, which notched wins over Rutgers, Idaho and FCS Portland State. "And we've been telling them the 13th data point matters, and we added a conference championship game because of that. We've always heard that conference championships matter and division championships matter, and now it's confusing." (Ohio State is #3 in the final CFP Rankings without either)

He added, "I'll have some questions to ask when the time is right."

He, and all of the University Presidents and Athletic Directors need to be asking this question of everyone involved. They also need to be asking how much the TV networks controlled the rankings.

No longer need a conference championship game. Committee proved it.

Reactions: GoWVU
Could have been. The divisions that make the most sense to me are (1) OU, OSU, KU, KSU, and WVU; (2) UT, TTU, BU, TCU, and ISU. I wouldn't mind switching places with ISU.

I will say again, we do NOT need a conference championship game. It only hurts us. The 13th data point was just an excuse to leave Baylor/TCU out and now it's proven. The only way WVU will get into the final four is if we go undefeated and the odds of that decrease significantly if we have to add another game. Just like this year, if we had a conference championship game, we STILL would not have been invited. The powers that be will not let us in unless we go undefeated, and they will still gripe about letting us in even then, they'll say we won ugly, schedule was too weak, yada yada yada.

Please BIG 12, drop the idea of a championship game. It's just a ruse to get anybody but Texas and Oklahoma another chance to lose a game and be excluded from the final 4. If Texas or Oklahoma were TCU/Baylor the year they got left out, those blue dogs would've been selected. We need to do like Washington, have cream puff OOC schedules, do our best to win the conference and go undefeated and they will not keep an undefeated Power 5 school out of the final four unless there are 3 other undefeated teams and a 1 loss SEC team. Our odds are better of getting in if we have a weak OOC and have an undefeated conference champ. A conference championship game is just another chance for a blemish.

Why is everyone conveniently forgetting that we've sucked for 5 years? We've certainly gotten the benefit of the doubt when we've been on a roll. Have you seen our erratic play from our most important position or the quality of wins? Be thankful for 10, enjoy the prospect of continuing momentum through Miami and wait on Grier. This everyone is against WVU is bogus.

Last edited:
Why is everyone conveniently forgetting that we've sucked for 5 years? We've certainly gotten the benefit of the doubt when we've been on a role. Have you seen our erratic play from our most important position or the quality of wins? Be thankful for 10, enjoy the prospect of continuing momentum through Miami and wait on Grier. This everyone is against WVU is bogus.
You're sticking with the moniker, huh?

The 13th data point isn't irrelevant. The problem is, when you have 2 losses, that takes away a lot of these tiebreakers, like conference champion or 13th data point.

While I agree with some of what you say, I do not want more cream puffs on the OOC schedule ...Sick of paying for that garbage!

Reactions: xgunnx and GoWVU
Why is everyone conveniently forgetting that we've sucked for 5 years? We've certainly gotten the benefit of the doubt when we've been on a role. Have you seen our erratic play from our most important position or the quality of wins? Be thankful for 10, enjoy the prospect of continuing momentum through Miami and wait on Grier. This everyone is against WVU is bogus.
While I believe there to be some bias involved in the process ....just follow the $$$...I agree with your sentiment regarding 'everyone is against WVU'....I swear some think there is some evil anti Mountaineers force controlling any and all brain function outside of WV...poppycock!

CC Games in those years in which the Big12 has an undefeated team or has a 1 loss team named Texas or Oklahoma will also be irrelevant. Risky, but really irrelevant. There are really only a few scenarios in which the CCG is both worth the risk and has the potential to actually tilt the scales so that the BIG12 gets a representative in the playoff. And in those years it will require that one of the other P5 conferences is a weak candidate for the 4th spot for the playoffs. In many years, the CCG will just bite the conference in the ass or be an exclamation point on the oddsmakers predictions. Thanks Boren for pushing the whole psychological disadvantage thing though. Kansas is probably happy though, more money and they can continue to suck at football.

I don't think so. I think it will be an argument for more scholies.

The problem is that with an 8 team playoff and a CCG it pushes the schedule to 16 games for the two teams that make it to the final. Too many games and pushes the schedule into the NFL's playoff slots; they won't let that happen, even if CFB is their minor league.

Besides we now see that the CCG is virtually meaningless and they are generally not very good games.

The problem is that with an 8 team playoff and a CCG it pushes the schedule to 16 games for the two teams that make it to the final. Too many games and pushes the schedule into the NFL's playoff slots; they won't let that happen, even if CFB is their minor league.

Besides we now see that the CCG is virtually meaningless and they are generally not very good games.
Good points. I hope P-5 champs get autobids in the future. Then you might require conferences play CCGs.

From 8 to 4 to 2 is only one more game and for only two teams with a hell of a reward at the end. They could eliminate 1 truly meaningless preseason game versus cupcake U. Bowl season already runs over 1 month long anyway. I think all those things are manageable. Money would be crazy good. Television crazy good and there would be some real (perceived) upsets. Interest remains high in an 8 team playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT