ADVERTISEMENT

College sports died Monday.

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
With the NLRB ruling Monday that Dartmouth's mens basketball team are employees and free to form a union... college sports died. All athletes at all colleges in all sports will now be employees. They will set terms and demand levels of pay etc. It will also affect institutional and personal tax liability. Why should anybody care about this crap anymore? Even these forums will endure a slow painful death. Once a Mountaineer always a Mountaineer is officially a joke.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Its not far from time to turn it off and move on....

This one is one of the last WVU forums standing. Way back when, ESPN used to have forums, and that's where it started for me. Then they did away with the forum format and went with comments below articles instead, and now nothing. Back then there were smaller forums like wemustignitethiscouch still lingering and getting traffic but I think that dude went full on far left activist type and shut it down. This forum is rare and even though i probably wont stay on here much longer, hopefully it stays a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVU-SE and WVUALLEN
Here's how they're going to start dismantling college sports.

Upending TV sports, ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. Discovery form joint streaming service. In a major move for streaming TV, three of the largest media companies are teaming up for a joint venture that will offer access to every major-league sport and several others.

Currently looks like Pro Sports only but bet on it carrying college athletics as well.

you can bet one thing..if they actually do ever clear all of the legal hurdles, and the basketball team is no longer in the black...they will simply just drop the basketball program..I remember when WVU had a men's track and field team

Agree...it's now become low-level professional sports. And not regulated at that, so it will be like the MLB where teams like the Pirates are relegated to AAA status because they can't ever pay what the Yankees will.

I'm sure the Ohio States and Alabamas are celebrating, but it's very short sighted for them to think the world will continue to tune in to their games when all of the other teams have faded away.

Time to move on to the NFL if you're going to watch pro sports, or better yet get out and do something instead of watching others do something.

Just my $0.02 as a long time WVU fan. Really enjoyed going to the Mayo bowl, and if that's the last game I see I'm glad that it's a great memory for me and my son.

Agree...it's now become low-level professional sports. And not regulated at that, so it will be like the MLB where teams like the Pirates are relegated to AAA status because they can't ever pay what the Yankees will.

I'm sure the Ohio States and Alabamas are celebrating, but it's very short sighted for them to think the world will continue to tune in to their games when all of the other teams have faded away.

Time to move on to the NFL if you're going to watch pro sports, or better yet get out and do something instead of watching others do something.

Just my $0.02 as a long time WVU fan. Really enjoyed going to the Mayo bowl, and if that's the last game I see I'm glad that it's a great memory for me and my son.
The Mayo Bowl was a good win and a good way to end the season.

I agree about we may as well just watch the nfl. High School sports will be the only place to find school spirit anymore. When they robbed College athletics of the school spirit that makes it so awesome, they set it on a path of destruction. Unless things return to the way they were college sports will never be the same. Cherish those memories people's. I'm glad to have lived in a time where things were good. Because the way Sports and everything else in America is heading right now, future looks a little dicey

Reactions: Rootmaster
Its not far from time to turn it off and move on....

This one is one of the last WVU forums standing. Way back when, ESPN used to have forums, and that's where it started for me. Then they did away with the forum format and went with comments below articles instead, and now nothing. Back then there were smaller forums like wemustignitethiscouch still lingering and getting traffic but I think that dude went full on far left activist type and shut it down. This forum is rare and even though i probably wont stay on here much longer, hopefully it stays a while.
Social media took the place of forums unfortunately. Millennials/Gen Z, etc. really didn't see a place for them. Even the main/rival boards here are a shell of what they were.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
well at least we aren't to the point of having to ask them what their pronouns are when they're recruited..yet

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT