ADVERTISEMENT

Casteel & Kirelawich fired by RR

I'm betting Casteel will not be unemployed long. He probably still has a decent rep as a DC, no thanks to his time in Arizona. His best move was to probably never go there anyway.

Kirkav has to be near retirement anyway.

Because RR is coming back to Motown and wants Gibson to stay on as DC!

If you didn't know.. ...the head coach doesn't (always) make all the calls on hiring and firing.

It appears that Arizona wants to get rid of Rich Rod and they are doing the easy part first. After all, they did find out that RR wanted to bail on them for the Gamecocks! Right?

Last edited:
Casteel's biggest downfall was following Rich Rod. He was a good DC while at WVU. Teams he shut down.. Georgia, Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, Clemson. Lots of All Pro players on all those teams but unfortunately for Casteel he was just to loyal to Rich Rod. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Two pretty good defensive coaches sitting there looking for work.

Reactions: countryroads89
And if you're going to try and discredit Jeff Casteel then you must not like Tony Gibson very much because that's who Gibson learned from and credits for making him the defensive coach that he is today.

Casteel's biggest downfall was following Rich Rod. He was a good DC while at WVU. Teams he shut down.. Georgia, Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, Clemson. Lots of All Pro players on all those teams but unfortunately for Casteel he was just to loyal to Rich Rod. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Two pretty good defensive coaches sitting there looking for work.

Castle didn't shut any of those teams down. 3 of the 4 scored 30+ and OU put up 28.

It appears that Az State wants to get rid of Rich Rod and they are doing the easy part first. After all, they did find out that RR wanted to bail on them for the Gamecocks! Right?
Maybe Az State does want him gone....but he coaches for Arizona. Easy on the grape soda. [winking]

I hope he gets to come back home to WV, even if it is at Marshall. I wish we had a spot for him in Morgantown that would pay him something close to what he is worth. I always liked him.

I hope he gets to come back home to WV, even if it is at Marshall. I wish we had a spot for him in Morgantown that would pay him something close to what he is worth. I always liked him.

He was given the chance to stay, but he made the choice to head to AZ. He's a wonderfully nice man, but his defenses can be very frustrating to watch and very porous.

Just wondering ... Casteel's alma mater is California (Pa.), which just had its coach leave. He's never been a head coach so this could be a way to get some experience as a head coach and return to just a stone's thrown from WV.

Bring him back? Uhhh, noo:
excerpt:
Arizona defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel and defensive line coach Bill Kirelawich have been relieved of their positions, the school announced Monday.

The Arizona defense ranked 113th in total defense allowing 463 yards per game and 35.7 points per game. Only two Pac-12 teams were worse than the Wildcats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...hes--including-dc-jeff-casteel-184910372.html

His schemes worked marginally well in the Big East, don't work in P5 leagues all that much.

by the way he and Kirelawich aren't the only dismissed Mountaineers as RR tries to save his job:
also from the article:
"Arizona already released cornerbacks coach David Lockwood. "

His schemes worked marginally well in the Big East, don't work in P5 leagues all that much.

[laughing] Marginally well? [laughing] We were ranked #3 in the country in total defense in 2010, his last year here.

But don't pay attention to me, I'm one of those "low information fans".

Reactions: GoWVU
One season out of many--results don't lie and his defenses regularly gave up many many points then and now--as in 113th in the country bad-but don't let the truth get in the way of your silly thoughts.

[laughing] Marginally well? [laughing] We were ranked #3 in the country in total defense in 2010, his last year here.

But don't pay attention to me, I'm one of those "low information fans".

This is the only link required:
excerpt:
Arizona defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel and defensive line coach Bill Kirelawich have been relieved of their positions, the school announced Monday.

The Arizona defense ranked 113th in total defense allowing 463 yards per game and 35.7 points per game. Only two Pac-12 teams were worse than the Wildcats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...hes--including-dc-jeff-casteel-184910372.html

This is the only link required:
excerpt:

Two defenses ranked #3 in the country in a four year span. So, now it's not marginally well and it wasn't just one year. Any other wonderful insight you care to share?

Two defenses ranked #3 in the country in a four year span. So, now it's not marginally well and it wasn't just one year. Any other wonderful insight you care to share?

Was against Cincinnati, USF, UConn, Rutgers, etc.--NOT against Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU etc. or USC, UCLA, ASU, UTah, Oregon.

Was against Cincinnati, USF, UConn, Rutgers, etc.--NOT against Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU etc. or USC, UCLA, ASU, UTah, Oregon.

In 2007 we played 4 top 25 teams and Miss State, who beat a couple of top 25 teams. And yes, it did include Oklahoma. You should probably stop digging now.

In 2007 we played 4 top 25 teams and Miss State, who beat a couple of top 25 teams. You should probably stop digging now.

You are the only one digging. Casteel had a couple of good seasons at WVU. Before they were playing in a better conference and he had to coach in one. He isn't coming back so you might as well give that up.

You are the only one digging. Casteel had a couple of good seasons at WVU. Before they were playing in a better conference and he had to coach in one. He isn't coming back so you might as well give that up.

I didn't say he was coming back. To bring this thing full circle, you said "his schemes worked marginally well in the Big East". [laughing] You also said "one season out of many". [laughing]

In 2011, Casteel's last year in the Big East his defense's gave up over 31 pts per game on average to the major BCS level teams they played. Yes I would say that is doing "marginally well" considering of the BCS level teams three had losing seasons at 5-7, one 6-7 and another 7-6, and one of the non con teams that would slightly lower the average pts given up was 2-7.

Last edited:
Bring him back? Uhhh, noo:
excerpt:

by the way he and Kirelawich aren't the only dismissed Mountaineers as RR tries to save his job:
also from the article:
"Arizona already released cornerbacks coach David Lockwood. "

Well his schemes are currently being run here and we finished 61st in total defense what will you say about Tony Gibson if are defense is ranked 113th next season which is a possibility with all the defense losses?

Luckily Gibson is more aggressive in his style than Casteel. Nothing made me more angry than rush 3 drop 8 and get burned. Not even the officiating that we've seen in recent games...

How many injuries did Arizona have on Defense this year??? I think it was a ton. Also say what you want when Casteel was at WVU the defense was very good, fast, great tackling, aggressive and big hitters. I am sure he will not be on the market very long.

How many injuries did Arizona have on Defense this year??? I think it was a ton. Also say what you want when Casteel was at WVU the defense was very good, fast, great tackling, aggressive and big hitters. I am sure he will not be on the market very long.
a lot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT