ADVERTISEMENT

Can't afford to miss EIGHTEEN tackles against BYU

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
After checking out the Youngstown game film, Gibby saw EIGHTEEN missed tackles! Some were really terrible. WVU tackler waiting for 5 yards for carrier to get to him, then missing the tackle! That's not Gibby's defense! I'm sure Law School Hill got a lot of action the past 2 weeks while the Mountaineers prepared for BYU.

Gibby energized the 3-3-5, taking what he learned from Casteel and adding aggression and unpredictability, and it showed against Oklahoma. But against Youngstown it looked pathetic. That's not what Gibby wants, or what he will tolerate.

I expect fire in the eyes and smoke coming out of the ears of WVU's defenders at FedEx Field at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Beware, Mormons. The fires of Hell are about to descend upon you!

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

The defense mail it in against YSU. Gibson probably wore out the law school steps the past 2 weeks. They'll be ready.

The defense mail it in against YSU. Gibson probably wore out the law school steps the past 2 weeks. They'll be ready.

I suspect you're right. You don't antagonize Gibby under you want to ride the bench.

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

I wonder................how many tackles are missed .............on the average............by college (and pro) football teams across the country in a given game? Got the answer? Ole Warez wants to know.

I wonder................how many tackles are missed .............on the average............by college (and pro) football teams across the country in a given game? Got the answer? Ole Warez wants to know.
Good question. But you almost need to watch the film, back and forth, for every game in America. I think that's about the only stat not kept nationally ... yet. They keep track of how many times linemen standing on the sidelines pick their nose, but not missed tackles.

What stirred my ire so much, though, were the open field tackles, after waiting for 5 yards for the ballcarrier to get there, MISSED by WVU defenders. Tackle, wrap up, don't just wave at them as they go by! The Youngstown performance was SO not Tony Gibson defenses, 3-3-5 or not.

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

After checking out the Youngstown game film, Gibby saw EIGHTEEN missed tackles! Some were really terrible. WVU tackler waiting for 5 yards for carrier to get to him, then missing the tackle! That's not Gibby's defense! I'm sure Law School Hill got a lot of action the past 2 weeks while the Mountaineers prepared for BYU.

Gibby energized the 3-3-5, taking what he learned from Casteel and adding aggression and unpredictability, and it showed against Oklahoma. But against Youngstown it looked pathetic. That's not what Gibby wants, or what he will tolerate.

I expect fire in the eyes and smoke coming out of the ears of WVU's defenders at FedEx Field at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Beware, Mormons. The fires of Hell are about to descend upon you!

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

You want to change your opinion of our defense Mr. I Want Terry Bowden or Rich Rod? They just let BYU score their first TD and now a long run after an INT.

You want to change your opinion of our defense Mr. I Want Terry Bowden or Rich Rod? They just let BYU score their first TD and now a long run after an INT.

I don't "change my opinion" of our defense, or any other part of WVU's game. I reevaluate after every game.

I was high in my praise of my alma mater's team after the Missouri game, disappointed after the Youngstown game and aghast at the open field, waiting for the ballcarrier missed tackles in the BYU game.

I will reevaluate after the Kansas State game, and praise or express concern.

I was paid for decades to give my opinion about sports. Now I do it for free in my retirement. You get the benefit of my knowledge and expertise.

And you choose to attack it because you don't like what I write?

As for Bowden, I said he should be on a short list, not that he is the only man to replace Dana.

And that Rich did the best job for WVU in the 21st century. I stand by both statements.

So what have I posted that is inaccurate about any of this?

I want my alma mater to win 60-0 every game, but that doesn't happen in college football, which is unpredictable, as the BYU game showed. There were horrendous mistakes made by both teams. WVU came up with the last, greatest defensive play, the double-touch interception at its goal line. That let my heart start beating again, in relief.

Am I the only one who felt that way?

And I put my money where my mouth is, donating at least double the required amount to the MAC for my two decades of season tickets, because I love my alma mater and I am grateful for the education she gave me that enabled me to have a 43-year newspaper career and provided the money to visit 55 countries, 44 states, take 13 cruises and spend 20 winters in Florida, up to 4 months at a time. WVU is a GREAT university and West Virginians are fabulous people and my father was a Monongah coal miner who survived TWO cave-ins that required rescuers to get through 4 feet of coal before they got to any part of his body.

I know my roots, and I never forget them. But I also do not drink the Kool-Aid or wear blinders. I WANT WVU to be great, in sports, just the way that WVU is so great in research that it was the only ones to uncover the VW emissions test-beating scam. I was so proud of WVU when that came out. As proud as I would be if WVU ever won a national title in football.

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor