ADVERTISEMENT

Canadian PM ready to renegotiate NAFTA with Trump

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
I am not nor have been a Trump fan (although I did vote for him because he was the lesser of two evils). But I will say that I do like one thing about Trump and that is the fear the world has about him. Tyrants have no idea what he will do. World leaders have no idea what he will do.

But we are the big boy on the block and they have to play nice. They need us far more than we need them. It is a little similar to when Reagan entered office. He scared the heck out of a lot of world leaders, particularly communist leaders.

I think Trump will extract better deals in every trade arrangement. I think the Chinese will no longer be able to devalue their currency just to improve their exports. They will moan and cry, but what choice to they have? They have leverage because they hold so much debt. But are they really going to destroy that value by selling US debt, lowering bond prices and hurting themselves financially?

It will be interesting to see how the Mexicans react to a NAFTA renegotiation. BTW, the GOP elite hate this. Absolutely hate this as does the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canada-pm-trudeau-says-ready-renegotiate-nafta-trump-165713892.html

I am not nor have been a Trump fan (although I did vote for him because he was the lesser of two evils). But I will say that I do like one thing about Trump and that is the fear the world has about him. Tyrants have no idea what he will do. World leaders have no idea what he will do.

But we are the big boy on the block and they have to play nice. They need us far more than we need them. It is a little similar to when Reagan entered office. He scared the heck out of a lot of world leaders, particularly communist leaders.

I think Trump will extract better deals in every trade arrangement. I think the Chinese will no longer be able to devalue their currency just to improve their exports. They will moan and cry, but what choice to they have? They have leverage because they hold so much debt. But are they really going to destroy that value by selling US debt, lowering bond prices and hurting themselves financially?

It will be interesting to see how the Mexicans react to a NAFTA renegotiation. BTW, the GOP elite hate this. Absolutely hate this as does the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Trump has basically adopted Pat Buchanan's position on trade. When Buchanan ran for president the GOP and the CoC were successful in torpedoing his presidency. Shows how much the GOP establishment is beholden to corporate America.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canada-pm-trudeau-says-ready-renegotiate-nafta-trump-165713892.html

Trumph , I think, understands the fear of the unknown and the anticipation of a confrontation is almost always worse than reality. A six as a high card has won a lot of poker hands. He has tried repeatedly to express this in dealing with ISAL , trade, dealing with foreign leaders, etc. He has the bully pulpit now and will have as long as he don't go to far and have to show is hand.

You're right...i've been taking it up the hoop for years...thank you sir! May I have another?

Since it's such an insignificant matter to you I have to wonder....why did you post it?

You're right...i've been taking it up the hoop for years...thank you sir! May I have another?

Since it's such an insignificant matter to you I have to wonder....why did you post it?

I never posted that it was insignificant. Not sure where you got that. All the major parties to the treaty have now announced their willingness to renegotiate it. That is a fact.

I never posted that it was insignificant. Not sure where you got that. All the major parties to the treaty have now announced their willingness to renegotiate it. That is a fact.
'But we are the big boy on the block and they have to play nice. They need us far more than we need them.'

This to my eyes says you find it to be insignificant . ..and if that is the case that's fine by me. If Harper were still in power here Trump would put it so far up his ass, his eyeballs would be popping out. But it isn't Harper...the current govt is far more protectionist, however still willing to negotiate. The lack of response on Keystone XL has now led to a pipeline plan through BC for export to China. And our current PM has a serious hard on for China... As I understand Trump supports Keystone so perhaps there is room to negotiate there.

Your (and our) beef is with Mexico regardless, although I assure you, the US has won the agreement between us in a landslide over the years.

And no , we are not afraid of Trump, like any other businessman if he wants $ he will come to the table with an open mind and goals, then settle.

If he rips up NAFTA the old Can/US agreement will take precident likely which is a far better option for Canada and the US anyway...

'But we are the big boy on the block and they have to play nice. They need us far more than we need them.'

This to my eyes says you find it to be insignificant . ..and if that is the case that's fine by me. If Harper were still in power here Trump would put it so far up his ass, his eyeballs would be popping out. But it isn't Harper...the current govt is far more protectionist, however still willing to negotiate. The lack of response on Keystone XL has now led to a pipeline plan through BC for export to China. And our current PM has a serious hard on for China... As I understand Trump supports Keystone so perhaps there is room to negotiate there.

Your (and our) beef is with Mexico regardless, although I assure you, the US has won the agreement between us in a landslide over the years.

And no , we are not afraid of Trump, like any other businessman if he wants $ he will come to the table with an open mind and goals, then settle.

If he rips up NAFTA the old Can/US agreement will take precident likely which is a far better option for Canada and the US anyway...

I firmly believe that Trump is a major supporter of Keystone. That was one of the dumber decisions made by this administration. It is a no-brainer. I probably sounded too arrogant when stating that we are the big boys. However Canada has 35 million people and the US has 325 million people The United States would have a lot of leverage because of that. The current NAFTA arrangement with Canada maybe a completely fair and balanced agreement. I have no idea. I suspect that Trump is far more worried about the trade relationship with Mexico.

Reactions: torontoeers
I firmly believe that Trump is a major supporter of Keystone. That was one of the dumber decisions made by this administration. It is a no-brainer. I probably sounded too arrogant when stating that we are the big boys. However Canada has 35 million people and the US has 325 million people The United States would have a lot of leverage because of that. The current NAFTA arrangement with Canada maybe a completely fair and balanced agreement. I have no idea. I suspect that Trump is far more worried about the trade relationship with Mexico.
Although I am by no means a conservative , and to my eyes based on his policy initiatives that I have seen Trump seems a little bit of a hybrid conservative? If there is such a thing? I actually like a few of his ideas for your country, and for the world really, while disliking some of the others . This will be interesting to see what comes of it.
In my eyes the original agreement years ago I disliked, but I despise NAFTA and would take the original back in a New York minute...Labour is expensive here as it is in the US, perhaps we need to work together on this deal and squeeze the Mexicans a bit....for the record when making a medium to major purchase I will always look for made in USA or Made in Canada. It still lasts...however I can't keep my wife clear of the dollar store it seems...just throw away junk....increase wages at home, and meaningful employment ...I hope he gets that done.

Also...who doesn't like FRIENDLY oil re: Keystone?! I know I do!

Although I am by no means a conservative , and to my eyes based on his policy initiatives that I have seen Trump seems a little bit of a hybrid conservative? If there is such a thing? I actually like a few of his ideas for your country, and for the world really, while disliking some of the others . This will be interesting to see what comes of it.
In my eyes the original agreement years ago I disliked, but I despise NAFTA and would take the original back in a New York minute...Labour is expensive here as it is in the US, perhaps we need to work together on this deal and squeeze the Mexicans a bit....for the record when making a medium to major purchase I will always look for made in USA or Made in Canada. It still lasts...however I can't keep my wife clear of the dollar store it seems...just throw away junk....increase wages at home, and meaningful employment ...I hope he gets that done.

Also...who doesn't like FRIENDLY oil re: Keystone?! I know I do!

Keystone is the no-brainer of all no-brainers. Except for the radical environmentalist which dominate the Obama administration, this would been built years ago.

We have seen firsthand in West Virginia the devastation of government run amok. Again the radical environmentalist and Obama promised to destroy the coal industry, and they did. Driving through southern West Virginia is absolutely depressing. I am all for clean air and water but there are ways to continue to use fossil fuel's and keep the environment safe while not destroying hundreds of thousands of great paying jobs.

Jobs are being shipped off shore so that major corporations can save money. I certainly would be willing to pay more if it meant those manufacturing jobs, good paying job stay in the US. Or in your case, stay in Canada. The middle class is being destroyed and that has got to stop

Last edited:
Keystone is the no-brainer of all no-brainers. Except for the radical environmentalist which dominate the Obama administration, this would been built years ago.

We have seen firsthand in West Virginia the devastation of government run amok. Again the radical environmentalist and Obama promised to destroy the coal industry, and they did. Driving through southern West Virginia is absolutely depressing. I am all for clean air and water but there are ways to continue to use fossil fuel's and keep the environment safe while not destroying hundreds of thousands of great paying jobs.

Jobs are being shipped off shore so that major corporations can save money. I certainly would be willing to pay more if it meant those manufacturing jobs, good paying job stay in the US. Or in your case, stay in Canada. The middle class is being destroyed and that has got to stop
I am very hopeful that Keystone gets ratified ....although the US is now fairly self sufficient with plenty of off shore drilling, we can help supplement that, even at the price of sands crude...from our end so long as it's above 50 bucks a barrel the profit is there.. . It would be golden if the continent didn't have to rely on terrorist oil whatsoever....

I will add....as per your post....I am down in WV every month in the fall (what could be better?), albeit around Monongalia and Preston Counties ...and ALWAYS enjoy my time there...it honestly feels like a second home to us with the friendly response we get. We have actually made many friends at the tailgate near Beanary on Patteson (many from Logan County), and they now expect the Canadians to come ...we smuggle in the Canadian Back Bacon and trade it off for genuine Moonshine ( I am partial to the Apple Pie or anything with a hint of cinnamon in there). Will be there for Oklahoma next wknd...with a win planned !

Also been through the south here and there over the years...Wyoming, Boone, Raleigh as well as a few others . Yes these areas are suffering from loss of employment yet still proud. Invest in these folks. Many of them are salt of the earth types, who have given their best for family and country.
Many of my friends here are golfers and I have asked what do you think of Greenbrier? They remark on how beautiful it looks on TV lol...my response is 'well get off your ass and go!' Hopefully the wife and I will make it there in spring...just need a pet friendly resort , which I think I have finally found some kick assed cabins very nearby that will welcome the pooch...
Much the same as here,I am assuming... the politicos need to finally start to serve those who elected them rather than special interest on both sides...pipe dream? Hopefully not...

I am very hopeful that Keystone gets ratified ....although the US is now fairly self sufficient with plenty of off shore drilling, we can help supplement that, even at the price of sands crude...from our end so long as it's above 50 bucks a barrel the profit is there.. . It would be golden if the continent didn't have to rely on terrorist oil whatsoever....

With new fracking methods the reserves of the United States and Canada can get us to self-sufficiency. This is of enormous strategic benefit. We are no longer at the mercy of the Saudi's. And job creation would be off the charts. but that is exactly why the Saudi's have overproduced and tried to destroy North American based producers. At $50 a barrel a small percentage of producers can be profitable but we need higher prices to get at harder reserves. I believe this Saudi strategy has failed and that oil prices sometime in 2017 or 2018 will return to the $70 level. The Saudi's actually need oil at $110 per barrel to sustain their social spending. If they can't sustain that spending, there will be an uprising of the people. That is in partly why they are at such loggerheads with Iran. Lifting of the sanctions has allowed Iran to begin producing much larger quantities of oil. They both one higher prices but neither can agree on reduced production levels. They also hate each other because one is Sunni and the other Shia. It's going to get very interesting. If Trump re-imposes Iranian sanctions, oil prices will go up fairly quickly.

With new fracking methods the reserves of the United States and Canada can get us to self-sufficiency. This is of enormous strategic benefit. We are no longer at the mercy of the Saudi's. And job creation would be off the charts. but that is exactly why the Saudi's have overproduced and tried to destroy North American based producers. At $50 a barrel a small percentage of producers can be profitable but we need higher prices to get at harder reserves. I believe this Saudi strategy has failed and that oil prices sometime in 2017 or 2018 will return to the $70 level. The Saudi's actually need oil at $110 per barrel to sustain their social spending. If they can't sustain that spending, there will be an uprising of the people. That is in partly why they are at such loggerheads with Iran. Lifting of the sanctions has allowed Iran to begin producing much larger quantities of oil. They both one higher prices but neither can agree on reduced production levels. They also hate each other because one is Sunni and the other Shia. It's going to get very interesting. If Trump re-imposes Iranian sanctions, oil prices will go up fairly quickly.
70 bucks is definitely that sweet spot up here to extract the bitumen at a high profit level anything above that is rich gravy. As I understand a major sticking point may be the level of profit share US pipeline transport will demand with Keystone. Obviously this is a valid concern on both sides and one would think an agreement could be made that is beneficial to both...especially now. Roughly 20% of US imports are from Canada currently, and if we could bump that by even 10% it would be huge. The other factor is investment....currently the Chinese have major holdings in the technology of Suncor especially as well as others. Canada still owns much of the oil in ground, in all cases at least 51% last I checked, however China literally owns pretty much all else via deals signed over the last 10-15 years. We also have no official 'National Reserve' as the US does, this is something I feel needs to change down the road....oil crisis or not....

As we say, let's hope the new guys work it out on this....self sufficiency , jobs, and friendly relations. Let it happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT