ADVERTISEMENT

Can WVU ever get over that hump

Funny that we have people on this site that only like former coaches...

Fire Huggins and I am sure a bunch of Bob Huggins fans will come out.

Wonder what Huggins is thinking .

Pushed him out for Cronin and then screwed Cronin.

huggins wasn’t pushed out for Cronin. Huggs was forced out from Cinci because he was an alcoholic.

huggins wasn’t pushed out for Cronin. Huggs was forced out from Cinci because he was an alcoholic.

When WVU hired Beilein there were rumors about Huggins
Cronin tried to position himself for the job but was upset when Huggins didn't leave.
Cronin left for Louisville. Maintained close ties to the people at Cincinnati

This is why Cronin and Huggins have respect for each other as coaches but aren't as close as you expect.
There are some issues there

SO THEY WANT A COACH WHO MAY NEVER REACH THE SWEET SIXTEEN EVER?
Wvu has already established that it can reach the sweet 16. Beilein did it twice. Before him coach Leather Jacket did it. The folks who want to move on from Huggins want to get past the sweet 16 and at this stage of Huggins career that aint happening. The golden days of Huggins are long gone. Huggins has made the tourney 25 times as a head coach but has only been past the sweet 16 four times. Three of his four trips passed the sweet 16 happened between 91-95. It wasn't until 2010, 15 years later that he broke through again. Its been 11 years since then. Huggins has had a good career nobody denies that but Wvu basketball has become stale. Don't just assume that we can't do better. Finding an up and comer that can get wvu past the sweet 16 won't be easy but finding someone who can give wvu the same current day results is not as difficult. In the later years of Nehlen the status quo defenders liked to use the who you gonna get argument when it became obvious it was time for a change. The guy we ended up getting assesmbled a team that finished in the top 10 three years in a row. How can you honestly say the guy after Huggins won't do better. Huggins is 67 so it probably won't be to long until we find out.

High risk High reward

If the football program was capable of winning at a high level you would be right

Huggins gave the football program a chance to get someone better.
More years than not he is in or around the Top 10.

Getting near the point where things can happen with realignment.
Last off-season you heard whispers. This year they are stronger.

They will be until the time comes when conferences media rights come up.
They will be in another couple of years.

Huggins gives WVU a program to fall back on.
Hopefully Neal Brown can put them there as well.

Consecutive seasons being in the Top 15 at one time during the season.

Those rankings matter for television rights even with basketball not being as important for TV as regular season football.

Best run of seasons since late 1950's/early 1960s

He was forced out because the president didn't like his ass. The culmination of a power struggle with the school president Nancy Zimpher.

Zimpher notified Huggins that he would not get his contract automatically extended, as provided for in the deal. He was given the option of leaving or continuing to coach on the two-year deal.

The relationship between Huggins and Zimpher was strained after he was arrested in June 2004 for drunken driving. The police videotape of Huggins staggering during his field sobriety test was shown nationally.

Recruit NBA level talent.

Final 4 team had three players who were NBA level. Jones and Ebanks both landed on NBA rosters and Butler was drafted.

I remember Huggins once saying too really compete for a title you need at least two guys who are NBA level talents.

Butler was drafted 42nd overall by the Miami Heat in the 2010 NBA draft.

The ending to Butler's career is the sole reason that he was drafted 42nd overall by the Miami Heat in the 2010 NBA Draft. The already looming questions around his ability to get to the rim in the NBA, mixed with a now questionable knee, not ideal. In fact, Butler wasn't even cleared to play full contact basketball until four months post draft.

Butler played the game from an old school standpoint, he knew how to score, shoot the ball, move off the ball, a great defender, played every position well defensively and thrived in the mid range.

Butler's biggest weakness, athletic ability, or lack there of. Amongst other concerns played below the rim, didn't take advantage of size and strength, could not guard quick players, would not have been able to create shots at next level, can't beat an athletic defender off the dribble.

The draft scouts were pretty spot on, but for obvious reasons. One, had the injury never happened, Butler would have had an average NBA career. He did play under the rim a little too much, as well as, got exposed athletically. However, I believe that Butler would have figured out ways to improve his athleticism, had he had the chance. The fact that he wasn't cleared to play until four months after the draft tells you everything you need to know about Butler and his NBA career.

Wvu has already established that it can reach the sweet 16. Beilein did it twice. Before him coach Leather Jacket did it. The folks who want to move on from Huggins want to get past the sweet 16 and at this stage of Huggins career that aint happening. The golden days of Huggins are long gone. Huggins has made the tourney 25 times as a head coach but has only been past the sweet 16 four times. Three of his four trips passed the sweet 16 happened between 91-95. It wasn't until 2010, 15 years later that he broke through again. Its been 11 years since then. Huggins has had a good career nobody denies that but Wvu basketball has become stale. Don't just assume that we can't do better. Finding an up and comer that can get wvu past the sweet 16 won't be easy but finding someone who can give wvu the same current day results is not as difficult. In the later years of Nehlen the status quo defenders liked to use the who you gonna get argument when it became obvious it was time for a change. The guy we ended up getting assesmbled a team that finished in the top 10 three years in a row. How can you honestly say the guy after Huggins won't do better. Huggins is 67 so it probably won't be to long until we find out.

SO WHO IS GUARANTEED TO GET WVU PAST THE SWEET SIXTEEN AND WOULD BE WILLING TO COME TO WVU FOR WHAT THEY PAY AND THE ATTRACTION THAT MORGANTOWN IS OR ISN't?

AGAIN, WHO CAN DO BETTER THAN HUGGINS AT WVU AND IS WILLING TO COACH IN MORGANTOWN? NAME NAMES? DON'T JUST SPOUT SPECULATION!

Huggins at WVU

THREE Sweet Sixteens

ONE Elite Eight

ONE Final Four

Sweet Sixteen or better in 5 of 9 appearances (55.6%)

Missed March Madness 4 times

Reactions: WV Bruno
Hey CFE WHY DO COME HERE SINCE YOU DISS THIS SITE WHILE POSTING ON OTHERS? OF COURSE WE THINK YOU ARE A BLOWHARD KNOW NOTHING ON THEM AS WELL. YOUR POSITION AS THE VILLAGE IDIOT IS ENTERTAINING HOWEVER? BTW...HOW'S YOUR MINIATURE GOLF AND ONLINE JOURNALISM 101 CLASS GOING?

SO WHO IS GUARANTEED TO GET WVU PAST THE SWEET SIXTEEN AND WOULD BE WILLING TO COME TO WVU FOR WHAT THEY PAY AND THE ATTRACTION THAT MORGANTOWN IS OR ISN't?

AGAIN, WHO CAN DO BETTER THAN HUGGINS AT WVU AND IS WILLING TO COACH IN MORGANTOWN? NAME NAMES? DON'T JUST SPOUT SPECULATION!

Huggins at WVU

THREE Sweet Sixteens

ONE Elite Eight

ONE Final Four

Sweet Sixteen or better in 5 of 9 appearances (55.6%)

Missed March Madness 4 times
I never said anyone was guaranteed to get Wvu past the sweet 16 but Huggins hasn't been past the sweet 16 in 11 years. You try to make it sound like it was yesterday and it was over a decade ago. The program has peaked under Huggins were not going to anymore final Fours or elite 8's. When you say who can do better than Huggins at what wvu is willing to pay. You do realize that Huggins is the 10th highest paid coach. So I would say were not getting are money's worth at the moment. You could find more than one up and comer who would come to Morgantown for less money and get you a 2nd round KO an a sweet 16 and that's all Huggins will get you at this point.

Last edited:
There is no we whorehees. You're just a dumbass clown troll that thinks it knows all but doesn't. You don't like it then you can feel free to leave anytime prick troll. I'm sure with you being the bandwagon fan that you are you can find a final 4 school to cheer for.

I never said anyone was guaranteed to get Wvu past the sweet 16 but Huggins hasn't been past the sweet 16 in 11 years. You try to make it sound like it was yesterday and it was over a decade ago. The program has peaked under Huggins were not going to anymore final Fours or elite 8's. When say who can do better than Huggins at what wvu is willing to pay. You do realize that Huggins is the 10th highest paid coach. So I would say were not getting are money's worth at the moment. You could find more than one up and comer who would come to Morgantown for less money and get you a 2nd round KO an a sweet 16 and that's all Huggins will get you at this point.

YOU SAY PO-TAH-TOE I SAW POTATO. LET'S REVISIT THIS IN 12 MONTHS AND SEE HOW HAS EGG ON THEIR FACE. COULD BE ME. BUT THEN I'LL HAVE NICE MEAL. SILVER LINING, SEE? NOT DARK CLOUDS.

YOU SAY PO-TAH-TOE I SAW POTATO. LET'S REVISIT THIS IN 12 MONTHS AND SEE HOW HAS EGG ON THEIR FACE. COULD BE ME. BUT THEN I'LL HAVE NICE MEAL. SILVER LINING, SEE? NOT DARK CLOUDS.
When you say lets revisit this in 12 months what do you expect to Happen? I predict a typical huggins season 2nd round KO or Sweet 16 at best but no trip past the sweet 16. Hasn't happened in 11 years no reason for me to think it will happen next year.

Last edited:
There is no we whorehees. You're just a dumbass clown troll that thinks it knows all but doesn't. You don't like it then you can feel free to leave anytime prick troll. I'm sure with you being the bandwagon fan that you are you can find a final 4 school to cheer for.
Hey Allen I thought you were ignoring me. If so then why bother acknowledging me. You're just a crybaby defender of the staus quo. You always get your panties in a twitch when someone suggests that the staus quo isn't getting it done.

Last edited:
Hey Allen I thought you were ignoring me. If so then why bother acknowledging me. You're just a crybaby defender of the staus quo. You always get your panties in a twitch when someone suggests that the staus quo isn't getting it done.
I changed my mind because you are such a dumbass that you need my educational skills to improve from being a liberal retardation.

You are clueless. There is no status quo. Name the coaches that have gotten WVU to the final 4. I'll help you clown ass. Fred Schaus and Bob Huggins. Fred Schaus led WVU to the championship game losing to California 71-70.

Until you become educated you will never be a true fan. Your dumbass thinks WVU has always been on top.

Bob Huggins is far from mediocre and is the best coach in WVU history since Fred Schaus.

I changed my mind because you are such a dumbass that you need my educational skills to improve from being a liberal retardation.

You are clueless. There is no status quo. Name the coaches that have gotten WVU to the final 4. I'll help you clown ass. Fred Schaus and Bob Huggins. Fred Schaus led WVU to the championship game losing to California 71-70.

Until you become educated you will never be a true fan. Your dumbass thinks WVU has always been on top.

Bob Huggins is far from mediocre and is the best coach in WVU history since Fred Schaus.
Allen once again you miss the point. Bob Huggins career is much above average nobody denies that. But at ths point in time he's nothing special. Bob Knight was a better coach than Huggins in his prime but he wasn't coaching at a hall of fame level the last 10-15 years of his career. You can tell yourself how Huggins got wvu to the Final Four but that was 11 years ago. Its ancient history. Huggins isn't taking wvu back to the final four. All your going to get out of this guy at this point is 1 or 2 wins in the tourney.

Allen once again you miss the point. Bob Huggins career is much above average nobody denies that. But at ths point in time he's nothing special. Bob Knight was a better coach than Huggins in his prime but he wasn't coaching at a hall of fame level the last 10-15 years of his career. You can tell yourself how Huggins got wvu to the Final Four but that was 11 years ago. Its ancient history. Huggins isn't taking wvu back to the final four. All your going to get out of this guy at this point is 1 or 2 wins in the tourney.
No other coach will be taking WVU to the final four either. It's only happened twice since the beginning of of NCAA tourney in 1939.

I'll take Huggins currently over any piece of shit coach you name. If I want to cheer for WVU and Huggins then you have no right to tell me different so **** off.

No other coach will be taking WVU to the final four either. It's only happened twice since the beginning of of NCAA tourney in 1939.

I'll take Huggins currently over any piece of shit coach you name. If I want to cheer for WVU and Huggins then you have no right to tell me different so **** off.
How do you know that Allen? This is the type of mentality that holds wvu back. You were probably one of those people in the late 90's stating that wvu football would go into the crapper after Nehlen. Guess what it didn't happen. It won't happen after Huggins either if the right hire is made. If the wvu admin is willing to have the 10th highest paid coach in basketball on its payroll then why not get someone in his prime. Wvu isn't going to anymore Final Fours under the current leadership.

How do you know that Allen? This is the type of mentality that holds wvu back. You were probably one of those people in the late 90's stating that wvu football would go into the crapper after Nehlen. Guess what it didn't happen. It won't happen after Huggins either if the right hire is made. If the wvu admin is willing to have the 10th highest paid coach in basketball on its payroll then why not get someone in his prime. Wvu isn't going to anymore Final Fours under the current leadership.
I'm pretty sure my thinking is doing no such thing of holding WVU back. The program has never been in the crapper in my eyes. I save that for bandwagon fans such as you. If not for Pat White, your super hero Rod fraud would be the mediocre coach you're crying about.

It's so called fans as yourself that began watching football and basketball at the start of 2001 that think they know what is best. You don't even put a dime into the institution and you think you know what's best. It's people like you that have ruined web sites like these. Now run along and play with your pal KingCoal.

I'm pretty sure my thinking is doing no such thing of holding WVU back. The program has never been in the crapper in my eyes. I save that for bandwagon fans such as you. If not for Pat White, your super hero Rod fraud would be the mediocre coach you're crying about.

Allen this is a waving the white flag response. If you say if it were not for Pat White then RR would have been mediocre then I guess if it were not for Major harris then Don Nehlen would have been mediocre. Nehlen and RR should both be given credit for finding those players. The reason some want to see a change in basketball is because the program isn't progressing. People want to see if we can get into 5th gear instead of being stuck in neutral. I have watched wvu football and basketball long before 2000 and the programs would have a better channce of succeeding if we did away with the old guard asbestos Ed mindset that you belong to.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Allen this is a waving the white flag response. If you say if it were not for Pat White then RR would have been mediocre then I guess if it were not for Major harris then Don Nehlen would have been mediocre. Nehlen and RR should both be given credit for finding those players. The reason some want to see a change in basketball is because the program isn't progressing. People want to see if we can get into 5th gear instead of being stuck in neutral. I have watched wvu football and basketball long before 2000 and the programs would have a better channce of succeeding if we did away with the old guard asbestos Ed mindset that you belong to.

Rich Rod did good with Rasheed Marshall and has been the best coach Arizona has had since around 2000. Pat White needed RR as much as RR needed Pat White.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Program has progressed. Bob Huggins competes against more ranked teams than coach ever to step into the Coliseum. Huggins has average 23 wins a season. You have never seen a WVU game in your entire life. You're nothing but a tiny cock roach in life. Move on troll.

Don Nehlen was winning games and bowl games before Major Harris.

Last edited:
Rich Rod did good with Rasheed Marshall and has been the best coach Arizona has had since around 2000. Pat White needed RR as much as RR needed Pat White.
He was below average coach at Arizona. He had 1 good season and an all time losing record in PAC 12. He got his wins against low level schools out west.

Program has progressed. Bob Huggins competes against more ranked teams than coach ever to step into the Coliseum. Huggins has average 23 wins a season. You have never seen a WVU game in your entire life. You're nothing but a tiny cock roach in life. Move on troll.

Don Nehlen was winning games and bowl games before Major Harris.
The program is stuck in neutral were not progressing. If we were still in the old big east we would be a bubble team most years. Teams from our former confernce have won more national championships since we left then the big 12 has final four appearances. Don Nehlen never won a major bowl game. RR assembled teams won 2 and finished in the Top 10 3 straight years.Name another wvu coach that did that.

BTW allen I was in the asbestos ED dome the night Catlett Blew an 18 point lead against UMass I was also there for the very 1st Big east game when catlett blew a 13 point lead against Gtown. I have been to quite a few others as well.

He was below average coach at Arizona. He had 1 good season and an all time losing record in PAC 12. He got his wins against low level schools out west.
Rich Rod is the 6th winningest coach in the History of Arizona football and every coach that has more wins than him coached there longer. He has one of the highest winning percentages of any body to walk the AZ sideline. Allen its pretty clear you havent a clue of what the hell your talking about half the time but thats the good ole boy asbestos Ed thinking at work.

RR was run off by asbestos ED and his side kick Mike Garrison. These two clowns were cheap day traders. They werent ready to play Big time college football. Wvu football was screwed the minute huckle berry finn was hired. I remember some of the deep pockets throwing up there arms over that one. It pretty much ended Fast eddy's reighn but the damage was already done. We are still paying for it today.

Rich Rod is the 6th winningest coach in the History of Arizona football and every coach that has more wins than him coached there longer. He has one of the highest winning percentages of any body to walk the AZ sideline. Allen its pretty clear you havent a clue of what the hell your talking about half the time but thats the good ole boy asbestos Ed thinking at work.
Rod at Arizona 43-35 (24-30) - Hilarious. JV clueless as usual. Rod Fraud 12-12 (7-7) 0-1 in Bowl games in first 2 seasons, Brown 11-11 (7-10) 1-0 in bowl games and a tougher conference than previous Rod.

RR was run off by asbestos ED and his side kick Mike Garrison. These two clowns were cheap day traders. They werent ready to play Big time college football. Wvu football was screwed the minute huckle berry finn was hired. I remember some of the deep pockets throwing up there arms over that one. It pretty much ended Fast eddy's reighn but the damage was already done. We are still paying for it today.
Doesn't know WVU. Run along liberal trash. You voting for Biden proves you have no idea.

Rod at Arizona 43-35 (24-30) - Hilarious. JV clueless as usual. Rod Fraud 12-12 (7-7) 0-1 in Bowl games in first 2 seasons, Brown 11-11 (7-10) 1-0 in bowl games and a tougher conference than previous Rod.
RR had one of the highest winning % in the history of AZ football. The teams he assembled at wvu had 3 top 10 finishes. No other coach can say that. Dana was the only other coach besides Rich to win a major Bowl game. Thats history not like the revisionist History book that you subscribe to.

My people in Mississippi think Rich Rodriguez is an idiot.

He didn't play the better QB.
Matt Corral was sitting on the bench.

Not going to win without a QB that can throw the ball.
He is so stuck on his offense that he cannot adjust.

RR had one of the highest winning % in the history of AZ football. The teams he assembled at wvu had 3 top 10 finishes. No other coach can say that. Dana was the only other coach besides Rich to win a major Bowl game. Thats history not like the revisionist History book that you subscribe to.
Rod - Pat White
Dana - Inherited Geno Smith

Case closed.

Sure thing Bucky.

Your assessments of Rod being being a great coach at Arizona doesn't really fly.
43-35 (24-30)

You like winning % better than quality here are some those Arizona coaches with higher percentage.

Gillette 5-0 (1 season) 100%
Galbraith 8-1 (2 seasons) 88.8%
Shipp 8-1-1 (2 seasons) 80%
Skinner 7-2 (2 seasons) 77.7%
Young 31-13 (4 seasons) 70.4%
McKale 81-32-6 (16 seasons) 68%
Quigley 2-1 (1 season) 66.6%
Casteele 46-26-3 (8 seasons) 61.3%
Smith 48-28-3 (7 seasons) 60.7%
Tomey 95-64-4 (14 Seasons) 58.2%
Oliver 32-11-4 (5 seasons) 56.6%
Rodriguez 43-35 (6 Seasons) 55.1%
LaRue 41-37-2 (8 Seasons) 51.2%

12th out of the 13 coaches with winning records. 28 total coaches

Thanks to Pat White (who Rod had riding the pine until an injury to starting QB) Rod got his break to stab his home state school in the back and completely fail at his next 2 stops.

Dana also had 41 losses and a poor win %. 17th in the long list of better coaches.

Leave the playground troll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT