ADVERTISEMENT

Can WVU ever get over that hump

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
What does WVU basketball need to do to get the national championship?

WVU has been close at times but never made it over the hump.

Even this year--lost to national champion Baylor 94-89 and runner up Gonzaga 87-82.

But then fall to a team like Syracuse inevitably in the NCAAs.

Seems like WVU was just a couple of players away this season from being able to make that run, but just cannot get over the hump.

If you've been to Waco its not exactly a hotbed destination itself although obviously the state of Texas is enormous compared to WV with infinitely more talented players.

There has to be a way to eventually put the pieces together.

WVU basketball has been to national championship game and lost. Scott Drew is mafia connected and cheats on a regular basis.

Boeheim is the best coach in NCAA tournament to win games he's not suppose to win and has surpassed Izzo as such.

Not until a Beilein-like offense comes back tol WVU.
Beliar like offense lost in a blowout to Baylor last night.

Beliar changed his offense after a couple of years at Michigan because he couldn't win or make the finals until he did so. Plus he had to hire someone that could recruit.

Reactions: SeronimusPratt
WVU has to have a team full of good veteran players who play well together. For instance, our current team. If we could've brought the team back next year fully intact, we would have potential for a run, imo. We almost beat both teams who were in the NC last night. We were "almost" there this season, and I would love to see what this team could do next year, but it doesnt look like we will be able to unless McBride, McNeil and Taz come back. Losing Mathews hurts too because he is good depth.

Reactions: Cheers and WVUALLEN
WVU has to have a team full of good veteran players who play well together. For instance, our current team. If we could've brought the team back next year fully intact, we would have potential for a run, imo. We almost beat both teams who were in the NC last night. We were "almost" there this season, and I would love to see what this team could do next year, but it doesnt look like we will be able to unless McBride, McNeil and Taz come back. Losing Mathews hurts too because he is good depth.
Couldn't stop laughing at this! It contains every standard Mountaineer fan post season comment. Mediocre. Again.

Huggins got a shot blocker/rim protector and a sharpshooting guard through the transfer portal so that has to improve the quality of next season's team. They are the silver lining. If McBride, McNeil or Taz leave that's the dark cloud. I prefer to dwell on the silver lining and those who show up next season in blue and gold. Those who leave have my best wishes for the rest of their careers but I will be watching WVU games, not theirs.

Reactions: HammerOfJustice
Huggins got a shot blocker/rim protector and a sharpshooting guard through the transfer portal so that has to improve the quality of next season's team. They are the silver lining. If McBride, McNeil or Taz leave that's the dark cloud. I prefer to dwell on the silver lining and those who show up next season in blue and gold. Those who leave have my best wishes for the rest of their careers but I will be watching WVU games, not theirs.
And without you watching them where would they be? Ego. Doofus.

Reactions: KingCoal
We are bring in 2 or 3 transfers, 2 for sure, and they are from non P5 schools...maybe they will be just what we need., but for the past 2 years this board and other board posters have complained about McCabe and Matthews not being P5 talent. Maybe the answer to "getting over the hump" is getting more talented players. How many kids has Hugging placed in the NBA while at WVU?

Reactions: Cheers
Beliar like offense lost in a blowout to Baylor last night.

Beliar changed his offense after a couple of years at Michigan because he couldn't win or make the finals until he did so. Plus he had to hire someone that could recruit.
Tbone what did Beilen ever lie about? Why do people like yourself always trash coachs when they are gone but defend them to the grave while they are here? As for beilen making changes to his offense isn't that what good coachs do? A good coach tweeks things to make his team better. Maybe if Huggins would devote more time to improving wvu's offense he would'nt be the guy with a bunch of wins and no Titles. It would be nice to hear the sweet sound of the ball going through the net instead of Clink Clank Clunk that's what Huggins brick Layers give us.

Tbone what did Beilen ever lie about? Why do people like yourself always trash coachs when they are gone but defend them to the grave while they are here? As for beilen making changes to his offense isn't that what good coachs do? A good coach tweeks things to make his team better. Maybe if Huggins would devote more time to improving wvu's offense he would'nt be the guy with a bunch of wins and no Titles. It would be nice to hear the sweet sound of the ball going through the net instead of Clink Clank Clunk that's what Huggins brick Layers give us.
Don't know a TBONE on these boards TVZ. Why do people like yourself only attack WVU? He changed at the request of Michigan front office. Maybe if you were actually a fan of WVU and not a troll you would knw Huggins changed his offense this season. Huggins has change his offense and defenses multiple times since being here.

You're not part of the us and WVU shot at a higher percentage this season. You're a fraud and uneducated wannabe Mountaineer fan.

Glad to see you finally attempt the question mark. Shame it was all a bundled crop of shit.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Don't know a TBONE on these boards TVZ. Why do people like yourself only attack WVU? He changed at the request of Michigan front office. Maybe if you were actually a fan of WVU and not a troll you would knw Huggins changed his offense this season. Huggins has change his offense and defenses multiple times since being here.

You're not part of the us and WVU shot at a higher percentage this season. You're a fraud and uneducated wannabe Mountaineer fan.

Glad to see you finally attempt the question mark. Shame it was all a bundled crop of shit.
Tbone can you provide a link were it says Beilen changed at the request of the Michigan Front office? If so how does this make him a liar? As for wvu show me were I attacked wvu. In regards to Huggins why do his teams always struggle shooting the basketball? You are typical troll who does nothing but defend the status quo but admits the staus quo wasn't ideal when it has left. You should be more grateful to Beilen. He came in and revived wvu basketball. How many coachs passed on the job at the time? Huggins used the wvu job to get more out of cincy. Can't blame him for that why would he have wanted to leave cincy to take over the dumpster fire that catlett left. Only Beilen wanted the job you should show more appreciation.

BTW what was wvu's rank in shooting % this season compared to the rest of the NCAA?

Tbone can you provide a link were it says Beilen changed at the request of the Michigan Front office? If so how does this make him a liar? As for wvu show me were I attacked wvu. In regards to Huggins why do his teams always struggle shooting the basketball? You are typical troll who does nothing but defend the status quo but admits the staus quo wasn't ideal when it has left. You should be more grateful to Beilen. He came in and revived wvu basketball. How many coachs passed on the job at the time? Huggins used the wvu job to get more out of cincy. Can't blame him for that why would he have wanted to leave cincy to take over the dumpster fire that catlett left. Only Beilen wanted the job you should show more appreciation.

BTW what was wvu's rank in shooting % this season compared to the rest of the NCAA?

1, Beilen did rescue WVU from Catlett's late-career malaise and Dan Jock-Itch's 8-day dalliance, and beautifully.
2. Huggins used the WVU job to get more out of Cincy? Explain that, with documentation. Huggins was flying high in a perfect job at Cincy till the new President got her feathers ruffled and wanted him out. Kansas State gave Huggins a place to land with the players he recruited legally while NOT a coach anywhere with the premise that, when he got a job, he would, and did, call them. So he had a fantastic first-year talent which Martin took advantage of after Huggs left with only one season at K-State.
3. Huggins is the best basketball coach in WVU history, as his 900 wins document, with Fred Schaus a close second and Red Brown a distant third. Bob gets more out of less talent that about any coach in the country. It's easy for coaches at blueblood schools to win because they are magnets for high school players. Huggins has to work to get players to come to WVU.
4. Huggins played high school ball in Morgantown, played for WVU and coaches at WVU. It's in his blood. And he has empathy for West Virginia coal miners and their families, constantly showing up with food, clothing, money when there are catastrophies in the state. That's such a magic combination of blue and gold from head to toe. I doubt WVU will ever witness that again once Huggins leaves, toes up or mumbling and druelling in his soup. WVU is damn lucky to have him.

1, Beilen did rescue WVU from Catlett's late-career malaise and Dan Jock-Itch's 8-day dalliance, and beautifully.
2. Huggins used the WVU job to get more out of Cincy? Explain that, with documentation. Huggins was flying high in a perfect job at Cincy till the new President got her feathers ruffled and wanted him out. Kansas State gave Huggins a place to land with the players he recruited legally while NOT a coach anywhere with the premise that, when he got a job, he would, and did, call them. So he had a fantastic first-year talent which Martin took advantage of after Huggs left with only one season at K-State.
3. Huggins is the best basketball coach in WVU history, as his 900 wins document, with Fred Schaus a close second and Red Brown a distant third. Bob gets more out of less talent that about any coach in the country. It's easy for coaches at blueblood schools to win because they are magnets for high school players. Huggins has to work to get players to come to WVU.
4. Huggins played high school ball in Morgantown, played for WVU and coaches at WVU. It's in his blood. And he has empathy for West Virginia coal miners and their families, constantly showing up with food, clothing, money when there are catastrophies in the state. That's such a magic combination of blue and gold from head to toe. I doubt WVU will ever witness that again once Huggins leaves, toes up or mumbling and druelling in his soup. WVU is damn lucky to have him.
At least spell the guy's name right you pompous blowhard. BIELEN was not his name. Good Lord you are an insufferable fraud. Fake.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
I can't say it that well....so thanks you are 100% coorrect

(Beilen?) As for wvu show me were I attacked wvu. (Show me where you haven't TVZ?) In regards to Huggins why do his teams always struggle shooting the basketball? (900 wins says bite me) You are typical troll who does nothing but defend the status quo but admits the staus quo wasn't ideal when it has left. (a leftist that doesn't know what status quo is) You should be more grateful to Beilen. (Again who is Beilen?) He came in and revived wvu basketball. (he did nothing but finish .500 in Big East) How many coachs (what is coachs?) passed on the job at the time? Huggins used the wvu job to get more out of cincy. (Clueless) Can't blame him for that why would he have wanted to leave cincy to take over the dumpster fire that catlett left.(still clueless) Only Beilen (again who is Beilen?) wanted the job you should show more appreciation. (you should quit while you still have a tiny bit of dignity)

BTW what was wvu's rank in shooting % this season compared to the rest of the NCAA? (42.9%)

You should get off your knees and wipe off your chin.

Reactions: locustwv
1, Beilen (WHO?) did rescue WVU from Catlett's late-career malaise and Dan Jock-Itch's 8-day dalliance, and beautifully. (Beilein couldn't win Big East and finished .500 in his short time )

Who is this Beilen you and your alter profile Jasonhoorees talking about? You just proved he's your profile.

Couldn't stop laughing at this! It contains every standard Mountaineer fan post season comment. Mediocre. Again.
Yeah cause those 900 wins scream mediocre. According to your standard everyone who ever coached at WVU coached a mediocre team.

Are you sure about the accuracy of your statement above? If you really were concerned about facts, and had any clue whatsoever, then you'd know where Huggins played high school basketball.

CFE/TVZ/Jashoores/Bucksuck you're a clown. It's also funny you're here at the same time as KingCoal. You following him or something?

Please show a link where this Tbone has posted on the board. All of the above have. You're just copying KingCoal and stalking. You're a perverted troll.

Reactions: SeronimusPratt
Huggins used the wvu job opening to get a better deal out of cincy. I would say the team Beilein had in 2004 that he took to the elite 8 was less talented than most of the teams Huggins has had.

CFE/TVZ/Jashoores/Bucksuck you're a clown. It's also funny you're here at the same time as KingCoal. You following him or something?

Please show a link where this Tbone has posted on the board. All of the above have. You're just copying KingCoal and stalking. You're a perverted troll.
We know you are TBone on the other site. Stop playing stupid

We know you are TBone on the other site. Stop playing stupid
Whose this we. Your alter KingCoal? Why the hell would it matter if I was someone else on another board? Are you that horny for me that you would attemp to stalk me around the internet world?

You're a sick ****ing freak and officialy on ignore you dumbass Liberal.

Can't believe stupid people voted for Biden. Hope you enjoy the USA falling under China rule.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Whose this we. Your alter KingCoal? Why the hell would it matter if I was someone else on another board? Are you that horny for me that you would attemp to stalk me around the internet world?

You're a sick ****ing freak and officialy on ignore you dumbass Liberal.

Can't believe stupid people voted for Biden. Hope you enjoy the USA falling under China rule.
Tbone what does the 61 stand for?

Were all of those 900 at WVU?

NAH, ONLY A "MEASLY" 310 VICTORIES AT WVU WITH A "CRUMMY" 64.4% WINNING PERCENTAGE. AND IDIOTS WANT TO DUMP BOB FOR AN UNKNOWN? 398 AT CINCINNATI, 97 AT AKRON AND 23 IN ONE SEASON AT KANSAS STATE. 69.9% CAREER WINNING RECORD. YOU'LL HAVE TO TRY HARD TO FIND A FLAW IN THAT, BUSTER!

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Wonder what Huggins is thinking .

Pushed him out for Cronin and then screwed Cronin.

NAH, ONLY A "MEASLY" 310 VICTORIES AT WVU WITH A "CRUMMY" 64.4% WINNING PERCENTAGE. AND IDIOTS WANT TO DUMP BOB FOR AN UNKNOWN? 398 AT CINCINNATI, 97 AT AKRON AND 23 IN ONE SEASON AT KANSAS STATE. 69.9% CAREER WINNING RECORD. YOU'LL HAVE TO TRY HARD TO FIND A FLAW IN THAT, BUSTER!
The people who want to move on from huggins want to do so because the program has peaked. The guy hasn't been past the sweet 16 since 2010. The best Huggins is going to do at this point is give you a 2nd round knock out or sweet 16. Having Huggins gives WVU stability. The program isn't going to fall of the cliff but it also isn't going to advance at this point either. You can point at all of Huggins accomplishments all you want but his signature moments are long in the past. When Indiana cut ties with Bob Knight they used the excuse that it was his behavior. They really got rid of him because he wasn't going to win them another title. Bob Knight had a hall of fame career but he wasn't coaching at a hall of fame level the last 10-15 years of his career. Huggins isn't coaching at a hall of fame level anymore either. As for finding a flaw in Huggins record look at his overall performance in March. Huggins teams have underachieved in March more than they have overachieved.

Cfe...so 64% is your definition of excellence? Too funny. Then again that's about the same percentage as the "facts" you post. Have you ever seen a Mountaineer game? Lol.

The people who want to move on from huggins want to do so because the program has peaked. The guy hasn't been past the sweet 16 since 2010. The best Huggins is going to do at this point is give you a 2nd round knock out or sweet 16. Having Huggins gives WVU stability. The program isn't going to fall of the cliff but it also isn't going to advance at this point either. You can point at all of Huggins accomplishments all you want but his signature moments are long in the past. When Indiana cut ties with Bob Knight they used the excuse that it was his behavior. They really got rid of him because he wasn't going to win them another title. Bob Knight had a hall of fame career but he wasn't coaching at a hall of fame level the last 10-15 years of his career. Huggins isn't coaching at a hall of fame level anymore either. As for finding a flaw in Huggins record look at his overall performance in March. Huggins teams have underachieved in March more than they have overachieved.

SO THEY WANT A COACH WHO MAY NEVER REACH THE SWEET SIXTEEN EVER?

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT