ADVERTISEMENT

CAN WE PLEASE F**KING GROW A SET AND FIRE HIM TONIGHT?

MountaineerWV

All-American
Sep 18, 2007
All these other programs are.........it's obvious Brown isn't the answer. GET HIM THE F**K OUT OF MORGANTOWN before we lose every fan.

Reactions: Greg4WV
Here’s the thing, and I wanted him gone last year, he’s not going anywhere. Shane Lyons dumb decision to extend him without earning it should have him (Shane) fired. Nothing good has happened with our major athletics since his arrival. Additionally, calling for his head on a game that we were 10 point dogs in, an away game at Texas, is not the time. A better time will be after we go 0fer in October. Haven’t we done that before somewhat recently?

Here’s the thing, and I wanted him gone last year, he’s not going anywhere. Shane Lyons dumb decision to extend him without earning it should have him (Shane) fired. Nothing good has happened with our major athletics since his arrival. Additionally, calling for his head on a game that we were 10 point dogs in, an away game at Texas, is not the time. A better time will be after we go 0fer in October. Haven’t we done that before somewhat recently?
I'm ok in this order:

1. Fire Lyons first
2. Give Brown another 1-2 years under a new AD. Make him EARN it this time.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
I get where people are coming from for firing him. Have no problem with it either way - as long as we have a "homerun" hire lined up.

However, not for last night's performance. This wasn't an x's or o's thing last night. This wasn't stupid timeouts or playing undisciplined. It wasn't anything that could be attributed to the coaches.

This was a huge disparity in Jimmys and Joes. They simply outmanned us and were better athletes at nearly every position.

A couple of examples:
1. Our secondary is terrible. Got some young talent but they are not ready for everyday play. Texas' receivers were running open all night. We had neither the skill nor the speed to match. That's why we blitzed nearly all night long in an attempt to get to the QB before he could pick us apart. He did anyway.
2. Our receivers are just .... average at best. We have no one who can take the top off the defense. We have no receiver with break-away speed. Last night, every receiver had a defender draped all over them - absolutely no YAC at all. Had to nickel and dime it down the field all night with the hope we didn't get behind schedule.

If we play teams that has Texas style talent at certain positions, we'll lose. If not, we have a chance.

No need to get upset at that performance - they kicked our butts with better talent. That's all.

Reactions: hunterspot1
I get where people are coming from for firing him. Have no problem with it either way - as long as we have a "homerun" hire lined up.

However, not for last night's performance. This wasn't an x's or o's thing last night. This wasn't stupid timeouts or playing undisciplined. It wasn't anything that could be attributed to the coaches.

This was a huge disparity in Jimmys and Joes. They simply outmanned us and were better athletes at nearly every position.

A couple of examples:
1. Our secondary is terrible. Got some young talent but they are not ready for everyday play. Texas' receivers were running open all night. We had neither the skill nor the speed to match. That's why we blitzed nearly all night long in an attempt to get to the QB before he could pick us apart. He did anyway.
2. Our receivers are just .... average at best. We have no one who can take the top off the defense. We have no receiver with break-away speed. Last night, every receiver had a defender draped all over them - absolutely no YAC at all. Had to nickel and dime it down the field all night with the hope we didn't get behind schedule.

If we play teams that has Texas style talent at certain positions, we'll lose. If not, we have a chance.

No need to get upset at that performance - they kicked our butts with better talent. That's all.
Well written and thought out. Finally some logic and reasonable thinking.

I just want to get excited for WV football again and I haven’t been excited for the last few years. It’s time to change somethings.

A couple of examples:

Would you say our best player this year has been Donaldson? I would. Then explain to me the offensive strategy to call 80% pass plays in the 1st quarter and not even try to get him touches to go at the Texas defense? Did we think our WR's were superior than Texas' DB's?

You already answered that question by stating that our WR's are average. So, again, this was 1000% on COACHING because the game plan early on was to throw the ball instead of using our best offensive weapon this season to date: CJ Donaldson. I think he had 2 or 3 touches in the first half, right? Explain how that is not on coaching?

If Lyons wasn’t forced to extend Brown by his bosses he should be fired.

If not, Lyons should immediately move Brown to some administrative role in the dept while his massive buyout decreases.

And hire a coach that can get WVU back in the win column.

Saw on another board Brown is now 5-19 against winning fbs programs.

Would you say our best player this year has been Donaldson? I would. Then explain to me the offensive strategy to call 80% pass plays in the 1st quarter and not even try to get him touches to go at the Texas defense? Did we think our WR's were superior than Texas' DB's?

You already answered that question by stating that our WR's are average. So, again, this was 1000% on COACHING because the game plan early on was to throw the ball instead of using our best offensive weapon this season to date: CJ Donaldson. I think he had 2 or 3 touches in the first half, right? Explain how that is not on coaching?
Good point about Donaldson. I wouldn't consider him our best - that's easily Daniels. I think the game plan was to try to open Texas' defense a little, to get the safeties and linebackers moving around, so that they aren't playing downhill all the time (like they did all night last night). That way, we could later open up some running lanes.

The only thing that makes sense, which of course they wouldn't tell us anyway, is that the coaches after watching film didn't think our line could move theirs well enough, especially early in the game. Let's face it, they are right. Texas has some NFL talent across the board in their front 7. If Donaldson had the speed and burst of their running back, it would make a lot more sense. But, he's more of a chugging, power back than a speedster with agility and ability to make people miss.

Simply put, I don't think it would have mattered either way. They were simply so much better than us where it counted - on the field - we would have lost 10 times out of 10 unless they turn the ball over a bunch and we get a TON of lucky breaks.

I just want to get excited for WV football again and I haven’t been excited for the last few years. It’s time to change somethings.
I haven't been excited for WVU football since we entered the Big 12 and became losers right away.

It looks like a last place finish in the Big 12 for us this year. This team has major issues and its not lack of talent.
It IS lack of talent. Our D backfield is woefully lacking. Our OL hasn't progressed like we needed in the last 3 years. I blame that more on the position coaches than anything. They have input on recruiting and need to bring the talent to the table then develop them.
OL coach Matt Moore is an original Brown hire that should have been replaced after his 1st year.
I don't think we can lay the problems at ShaDon or Dante's feet yet. Graduation and Poaching have taken the toll in the D secondary.
But in any case Brown is ultimately responsible.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Don't know if they tried finding P5 players to transfer in or not but it's painfully obvious these FCS guys are not getting it done.

I'm not even convinced that Daniels is the best QB on the roster. Missed a number of throws by throwing behind the receiver. Then again the WR's dropped at least 6 that I could see.

It IS lack of talent. Our D backfield is woefully lacking. Our OL hasn't progressed like we needed in the last 3 years. I blame that more on the position coaches than anything. They have input on recruiting and need to bring the talent to the table then develop them.
OL coach Matt Moore is an original Brown hire that should have been replaced after his 1st year.
I don't think we can lay the problems at ShaDon or Dante's feet yet. Graduation and Poaching have taken the toll in the D secondary.
Does strength and conditioning have any role in our programs continued inability to develop players to compete? Seems like everyone wants to brag about the S&C staff in the off-season, however, I continue to think that has been a weakness since the Rich Rod days

Does strength and conditioning have any role in our programs continued inability to develop players to compete? Seems like everyone wants to brag about the S&C staff in the off-season, however, I continue to think that has been a weakness since the Rich Rod days
I see it as the following...

1 Lack of talented players from transfer portal
2 No speed at WR and inability to break away and get space.
3 Lack of discipline which looks like it has been there since Rich's days
4 Low IQ players and lack of a good game plan from the coaches.

Things are getting competitive real quick thanks to transfer portal. There are no automatic wins. You can see that with the scores in games from week to week.

Heck Georgia Tech fires their coach and beats Pitt. A Pitt team predicted to win their conference and make the playoffs. They now have 2 losses.

The D backfield all left just before the season so it’s only a surprise to those telling everyone else how none of those players were any good that it’s not working out so far. The O line has been weak since Brown took over. Remember he coached the worst rushing attack in the country year one. And receiver drops? WVU led the nation under Browns tuteledge just a year or two back. It’s an ongoing problem that didn’t exist until he started learning on the job.

Brown is in charge of the team. He has to shoulder the blame.

I agree about the DB's. We miss Woods but he alone may not have made a big enough difference. But the OL was supposed to be the strength of the team. The DL too. They have a lot of talent on paper. We have big, athletic WR's and a 5 star QB. Give a really good coach the roster we have and we would be better, i have no doubt. That being said Daniels had a bad game yesterday. His passes were not on the money, and the drops continue to plague the WRs, something that has been the case every year since Neal took over. The climb is poop at this point. I dont trust it at all.

A couple of examples:

I’d like to add the most glaring problem is our Offensive Line play. Just my opinion.

I believe that before the season started, Brown thought Kansas and Pitt were both going to be W's, and he'd split VT/Texas and be 4-1 (maybe 5-0) headed into the bye week.

That would give a real shot at an 8 win regular season and a chance at a 9 win season with a bowl...definitely enough to keep his job

But right now he's looking at 5 wins...

If that's the case, Shame has nothing to sell the fan base after 4 years. Keeping him would be tough, spending $16 million to fire him is tough too.

Have actually seen people saying if he wins 5 games he has done enough to keep his job. That would be three of four seasons with 5 wins ( plus an asterisk COVID bowl win) and another with 6 wins and a bowl loss to a mid level P5. Some of the same were railing that 7 wins wasn’t good enough for WVU. Can’t see where the blind following is coming from, must be some serious moonshine or something.

I believe that before the season started, Brown thought Kansas and Pitt were both going to be W's, and he'd split VT/Texas and be 4-1 (maybe 5-0) headed into the bye week.

That would give a real shot at an 8 win regular season and a chance at a 9 win season with a bowl...definitely enough to keep his job

But right now he's looking at 5 wins...

If that's the case, Shame has nothing to sell the fan base after 4 years. Keeping him would be tough, spending $16 million to fire him is tough too.
5 wins would be an accomplishment at this point. Not even sure if we can beat ISU this year, and TCU looks pretty good too. In fact the whole B12 looks good except us. Thank goodness for Towson being on our schedule and VT being historically bad this year. If we squeak out 3 more wins with this directionless team I will be happy, as long as it means we fire Neal after the season.

5 wins would be an accomplishment at this point. Not even sure if we can beat ISU this year, and TCU looks pretty good too. In fact the whole B12 looks good except us. Thank goodness for Towson being on our schedule and VT being historically bad this year. If we squeak out 3 more wins with this directionless team I will be happy, as long as it means we fire Neal after the season.
So you're asking for 2 miracles.

If you think part of the problem isn't a lack of talent...you really don't understand this game.
I see a roster of 3 and 4 star players just like we've always had. We lack the most on paper in the secondary and it shows, but we have a talented DL, a couple good LB's, the most experienced OL in the Neal Brown era, a handful of tall, athletic WR's, 3 competent RB's and a 5 star QB. The problem from my perspective is more like player development, gamer planning, in-game adjustments, play calling, overall preparation and conditioning.

Let us not read too much into the Texas game though. Since WVU joined the conference, Texas has, year after year had/has the talent. 4-5 star players across the board at every position. They finally have a coach that can get the job done.

If this staff came in for Mac Brown, WVU would not of won a game vs Texas.

I am not saying that WVU will win out the remaining games, I’m not going to burn everything down based on a game / school that we played on the road, are light years behind in talent, money and experience at every level (players and coaches) and blame it all on the head coach.

A few changes in the staff at a minimum is required, but tear up what appears to be an uptick in talent and start from scratch when everyone hits the portal is not an option.

Miserable people are usually very angry people. Their insides are filled with resentment and unresolved issues.

Let us not read too much into the Texas game though. Since WVU joined the conference, Texas has, year after year had/has the talent. 4-5 star players across the board at every position. They finally have a coach that can get the job done.

If this staff came in for Mac Brown, WVU would not of won a game vs Texas.

I am not saying that WVU will win out the remaining games, I’m not going to burn everything down based on a game / school that we played on the road, are light years behind in talent, money and experience at every level (players and coaches) and blame it all on the head coach.

A few changes in the staff at a minimum is required, but tear up what appears to be an uptick in talent and start from scratch when everyone hits the portal is not an option.
I totally get this sentiment but, plying devils advocate, I think a lot of people aren’t looking solely at the Texas game. At some point there is a trend and our atrocious record against P5 opponents and P5 opponents with winning records AND record against top 25 opponents adds up. Many of us just want a sign on the field that hey, we can be optimistic. That sign, I think, would be just 1 win at this point over a top 25 team.

I totally get this sentiment but, plying devils advocate, I think a lot of people aren’t looking solely at the Texas game. At some point there is a trend and our atrocious record against P5 opponents and P5 opponents with winning records AND record against top 25 opponents adds up. Many of us just want a sign on the field that hey, we can be optimistic. That sign, I think, would be just 1 win at this point over a top 25 team.
Brown 3-9 vs ranked teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT