ADVERTISEMENT

Can We Forget The ACC Fantasy?

Lacey Summers

Freshman
Jan 10, 2017
With B12 adding a few cupcakes to the leftovers, can we finally drop the fantasy of joining the ACC?

The ACC was not interested in WVU 30 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago, or now. The ACC does NOT want WVU. Never did.

WVU is just like Cincy, Iowa State, and KSU. WVU is nothing like UVA, Duke, UNC, Wake, etc.

Last edited:
Regardless of what conference we get into, stay in, or build back up...

Some of y'all are so out of touch with reality. The people who make these decisions don't look at last weeks scores only. Holy $hit y'all, get it together!

They look at revenue, tv sets, attendance, will you show up as a fan base for the premier teams when they are played... etc, etc, etc...

With B12 adding a few cupcakes to the leftovers, can we finally drop the fantasy of joining the ACC?

The ACC was not interested in WVU 30 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago, or now. The ACC does NOT want WVU. Never did.

WVU is just like Cincy, Iowa State, and KSU. WVU is nothing like UVA, Duke, UNC, Wake, etc.
Most of that was before WVU became a Tier 1 research University.

We either will stay in the Big 12 and hopefully improve our standings in it with weaker teams coming in, or we will end up in the AAC at some point.

I dont think the ACC wants us and ever did. The only way we get in there is if Gee basically uses his vote on the 12 team playoff system to bribe them into letting us in.

• Haha
Reactions: Bronco-eer
You may be right, but it's only a lucky guess if you are. It is very unlikely that the ACC, SEC, or B10 make any more moves for a while...maybe a couple of years. Nor will you see WVU or any of the other seven B12 members left announce a move to leave until the B12 gets paid by OU / TX...or at least a firm deal on that is struck. This most recent expansion changes nothing, except shore up the B12 on the oft chance we have to remain in the conference (frankly, I think the additions have been solid and the B12 likely keeps it's pathway for it's champ to make the playoffs). But, you can bet we are NOT going to agree to extend a new GOR contract at this point and as long as we don't do that, there is still a very real possibility that WVU will be chosen to join the ACC (maybe on of the others, but most likely ACC). I just hope when that happens it's not because the ACC is on the cusp of losing Clemson and FSU.

This is the filtration system of college football as we know it. This will continue until the SEC and BIG 10 are the only 2 left standing with 16 to 20 teams in each conference.

I disagree with the big 12 bashing , I think the rest of the Big 12 with the addition of BYU, Cincy, Houston and UCF will be as good from top to bottom as the ACC and PAC. All 4 additions have had multiple winning seasons over the past 12-15 years. Cincy's coach passed up Michigan St to stay at Cincy so that says something about what he thinks can be built there. BYU is again a very quality football and basketball addition. UCF about to explode and Houston has what it takes to be more than successful. Now OK State has won 93 games over the past decade, TCU has 146 wins in 15 years and Baylor has 85 wins the past 10 years and all three schools are committed to athletics and those three schools have had some monster seasons over the past decade. Iowa St is ranked top 10 right now K State wins more than they lose, Texas Tech is in Texas so expect them to get better. So I like the new look Big 12 , Hell add USF and Memphis and call it a day. I am a BIG 10 fan but the new look Big 12 will make me watch some of the potential matchups. OK St vs Cincy awesome matchup, UCF vs BYU , WVU vs Cincy, Houston vs TT(hell fans were fighting this year and they are not even conference foes yet). UCF vs WVU all great future matchups

Last edited:
I disagree with the big 12 bashing , I think the rest of the Big 12 with the addition of BYU, Cincy, Houston and UCF will be as good from top to bottom as the ACC and PAC. All 4 additions have had multiple winning seasons over the past 12-15 years. Cincy's coach passed up Michigan St to stay at Cincy so that says something about what he thinks can be built there. BYU is again a very quality football and basketball addition. UCF about to explode and Houston has what it takes to be more than successful. Now OK State has won 93 games over the past decade, TCU has 146 wins in 15 years and Baylor has 85 wins the past 10 years and all three schools are committed to athletics and those three schools have had some monster seasons over the past decade. Iowa St is ranked top 10 right now K State wins more than they lose, Texas Tech is in Texas so expect them to get better. So I like the new look Big 12 , Hell add USF and Memphis and call it a day. I am a BIG 10 fan but the new look Big 12 will make me watch some of the potential matchups. OK St vs Cincy awesome matchup, UCF vs BYU , WVU vs Cincy, Houston vs TT(hell fans were fighting this year and they are not even conference foes yet). UCF vs WVU all great future matchups
All the Big-12 has lost is Oklahoma. Texas is a name with a lot of money and even more princess attitude attached to it, but Texas has not been anything to write home about since WVU has been part of the Big-12. Outside of sending Oklahoma to the Playoffs every year only to watch them get their butts whipped, this is not a huge loss. In every other way the Big-12 is BETTER than it used to be. Basketball may be king in the Big-12 now and in football, it actually ranks higher top to bottom than either the Pac-12 or ACC, which incidentally is where the Big-12 ranked before this happy event took place. Happy? Yeah, I said happy. I was so freakin happy when I heard Texas was leaving. They rained on every parade to improve the conference and now they are gone and every where we look, we see positive changes.

I wonder if the SEC realize what they let in the back door?

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
We either will stay in the Big 12 and hopefully improve our standings in it with weaker teams coming in, or we will end up in the AAC at some point.

I dont think the ACC wants us and ever did. The only way we get in there is if Gee basically uses his vote on the 12 team playoff system to bribe them into letting us in.
Why would WVU want in the ACC. Every old Big East team that joined the ACC died because that conference kills football. Both Miami and VT used to be in the national conversation but as soon as both moved to the ACC, all you hear are crickets. FSU used to be a power house, but they died along time ago and no matter how much they get pumped every year in the pre-season they never stay the course. Clemson? They have had a good run but they are probably at the twilight of that run - no one stays on top forever. If they collapse into FSU level performance, who will be left for the ACC? No one, that is who. Why would WVU want to be No One?

Why would WVU want in the ACC. Every old Big East team that joined the ACC died because that conference kills football. Both Miami and VT used to be in the national conversation but as soon as both moved to the ACC, all you hear are crickets. FSU used to be a power house, but they died along time ago and no matter how much they get pumped every year in the pre-season they never stay the course. Clemson? They have had a good run but they are probably at the twilight of that run - no one stays on top forever. If they collapse into FSU level performance, who will be left for the ACC? No one, that is who. Why would WVU want to be No One?
You're right, that is why we need to get into the SEC.

Reactions: Bronco-eer
Virginia Tech fell off because Frank Beamer got old and retired. That didn't have anything to do with the conference.

Same thing with Florida St. They are down because Jimbo left. They have only been down for about 3-4 years. That's not "forever."

Or camera hog Manchin uses his swing vote to implement a Biden policy against the ACC…

The ACC contracts run out in 2036. The next SEC deal will begin in 2034. so the ACC may be safe until then unless the B10 does something after their next contract and it ends prior to the 2030s time period.

Or camera hog Manchin uses his swing vote to implement a Biden policy against the ACC…
Yeah, cause Manchin is using his "swing vote" to help Americans and West Virginians rather than than McConnell and the russian mafia rethuglicans. Man people are stupid.

Virginia Tech fell off because Frank Beamer got old and retired. That didn't have anything to do with the conference.

Same thing with Florida St. They are down because Jimbo left. They have only been down for about 3-4 years. That's not "forever."
FSU's last good season was 2016 when they were 10 - 3 with a one point win over Michigan in the Orange Bowl. 10 - 3 is a good year no matter who you play, but they somehow lost to Louisville 63 - 20! Louisville was 9 - 4 that year but did lose to Houston and Kentucky. Go figure.

Reactions: Charleston Mountie
The reconfigured B12 will maintain 3 - 5 teams in the top 25 polls, while the Pac will likely maintain a pattern of 2. The ACC is so bottom heavy they will continue a 3 - 4 top 25 pattern. Total annual payouts between the three will be close for awhile unless the ACC manages to renegotiate being ripped off by ESPN. People in many areas of the PAC 12 don't seem to care much for sports anymore. I remember when UCLA and USC were powerhouses with packed stadiums. JMHO I cannot see the future.

Don't laugh at that last idea. That might get us into the SEC if Gee holds his ground for a couple years. What they would "lose" on bringing in WVU would be insanely offset by getting additional teams into an expanded playoffs.

Not so. The new Big 12 teams are the little bros of the Big boys. At least that's how they're perceived. They may have been playing decent football lately, but at the end of the day the most of the schools you mentioned are viewed by the bigger teams in their states the same way we view Marshall. No thanks. I'd rather take my chances with the big boys with more $.

Not so. The new Big 12 teams are the little bros of the Big boys. At least that's how they're perceived. They may have been playing decent football lately, but at the end of the day the most of the schools you mentioned are viewed by the bigger teams in their states the same way we view Marshall. No thanks. I'd rather take my chances with the big boys with more $.
Guarantee we will suffer a few losses to those little brothers over the years.

Sammy you’re not wrong about the playing field side of this equation. I mean there is a legit argument that the new Big12 will be as good if not better on the field as the ACC or PAC12. It just doesn’t seem realistic though to expect much more than $15-$20 mill per year in next Network deal. Maybe it can be pushed to $25 mill future lawsuits disappear. I’ve already seen what projections in the $18-$22 mill range look like to Athletic Departments. That revenue range will be devastating to Athletic Department budgets.

You’re so naive it’s hilarious
If they don't get an expanded playoffs:

1) OK will rarely be in the playoffs. They will constantly look back on what they lost (nearly yearly inclusion/contender status in the Big 12). Not exactly how you want to onboard a new program. Is OK willing to abandon relevance for money (ex. Penn State)?

That is the multi-million dollar question. If the answer is "no", that relationship gets prickly.

2) The SEC will lose tens of millions every year in TV money/attendance (first round would be at top 6 home stadiums as opposed to neutral site).

Laugh away Junior. The SEC isn't.

Sammy you’re not wrong about the playing field side of this equation. I mean there is a legit argument that the new Big12 will be as good if not better on the field as the ACC or PAC12. It just doesn’t seem realistic though to expect much more than $15-$20 mill per year in next Network deal. Maybe it can be pushed to $25 mill future lawsuits disappear. I’ve already seen what projections in the $18-$22 mill range look like to Athletic Departments. That revenue range will be devastating to Athletic Department budgets.
If they lowball, the Big 12 needs to gamble on itself and insist on a short GOR. Winning fixes everything. Plus that gives the Hulu's and Amazon's of the world time to build up to be a true competitor for live CFB.

ACC is still the best fit for the Mountaineers and the place a majority of our fans would prefer - old rivalries ease of drving to away games.

ACC is still the best fit for the Mountaineers and the place a majority of our fans would prefer - old rivalries ease of drving to away games.
If these were actually the criteria, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers, Colorado, TAMU and Mizzou wouldn't be in the conferences they are currently in, or are about to be in in TX and OKs case. I should add BYU, UCF, Cincy and Houston in there too. Even the AAC has cross country members that have nothing to do with rivalries or ease of getting to an away game. These are all deals made between networks and college presidents and ADs. Fans have no say other than how they use their eyeballs.

The ACC still has a revenue gap that they need to makeup.

Increasing their conference games from 8 to 9 would maybe give them a bump, but that's not likely now since they are part of the "alliance" for future scheduling.

Expansion is the other possibility which they haven't done yet, but they need a big ratings driver like ND to join and who really sees ND being interested unless they are just locked out of the playoff otherwise?

I think West Virginia would be a good addition to the ACC.

However, I think the Academic Side has been somewhat of an obstacle to some schools voting for WVU.

Just as WVU works to improve their Athletic accomplishments, they should also work to improve their Academic standing (IMHO).

US News (2022) undergraduate ranking of all P-5 Universities:

6 Stanford
9 Duke
9 Northwestern
14 Vanderbilt
20 UCLA
22 Cal-Berkeley
23 Michigan
25 Virginia
27 USC
28 North Carolina
28 Wake Forest
28 Florida
36 Boston College
38 Georgia Tech
38 Texas
42 Wisconsin
47 Illinois
48 Georgia
49 Ohio State
49 Purdue
55 Miami
55 Florida State
59 Pitt
59 Syracuse
59 Maryland
59 Washington
63 Penn State
63 Rutgers
68 Minnesota
68 Indiana
68 Texas a&m
75 Clemson
75 Baylor
75 Virginia Tech
79 NC State
83 Iowa
83 Michigan State
83 TCU
99 Colorado
103 Arizona
103 Tennessee
117 Arizona State
117 South Carolina
122 Missouri
122 Iowa State
122 Kansas
127 Kentucky
127 Oklahoma
136 Nebraska
148 Alabama
162 Oregon State
162 Kansas State
172 LSU
179 Washington State
187 Louisville
196 Mississippi State
213 Texas Tech
249 West Virginia

Do you believe WVU should have a plan to improve WVU's academics.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:

However, I think the Academic Side has been somewhat of an obstacle to some schools voting for WVU.

Just as WVU works to improve their Athletic accomplishments, they should also work to improve their Academic standing (IMHO).

6 Standford
9 Duke
9 Northwestern
14 Vanderbilt
20 UCLA
22 Cal-Berkeley
23 Michigan
25 Virginia
27 USC
28 North Carolina
28 Wake Forest
28 Florida
36 Boston College
38 Georgia Tech
38 Texas
42 Wisconsin
47 Illinois
48 Georgia
49 Ohio State
49 Purdue
55 Miami
55 Florida State
59 Pitt
59 Syracuse
59 Maryland
59 Washington
63 Penn State
63 Rutgers
68 Minnesota
68 Indiana
68 Texas a&m
75 Clemson
75 Baylor
75 Virginia Tech
79 NC State
83 Iowa
83 Michigan State
83 TCU
99 Colorado
103 Arizona
103 Tennessee
117 Arizona State
117 South Carolina
122 Missouri
122 Iowa State
122 Kansas
127 Kentucky
127 Oklahoma
136 Nebraska
148 Alabama
162 Oregon State
162 Kansas State
172 LSU
179 Washington State
187 Louisville
196 Mississippi State
213 Texas Tech
249 West Virginia

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
You are claiming this represents "WVUs academics".

That is just some magazines personal declaration mostly derived from questionable data to declare a number system based on their own criteria--has nothing to do with how well WVU educates anyone or the status of their actual academic programs.

Here is some REAL academic information re: WVU

Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education​

WVU classification R1--same as BC, Clemson, Duke, FSU, GT, NC State, Syracuse, Louisville, Miami, UNC, Pitt, UVA, VT

There are also numerous other other accolades for WVU academics such as the number of Rhodes scholars and top ten programs.

from the WVU site for example https://www.wvu.edu/about-wvu/achievements:
WVU recipients of prestigious scholarships include 25 Rhodes Scholars, 25 Truman Scholars, 46 Goldwater Scholars, 3 George C. Marshall (British) Scholars, 6 Morris K. Udall Scholars, 5 USA Today All-USA College Academic First Team Members (and 11 academic team honorees), 28 Boren Scholars, 75 Gilman Scholars, 70 Fulbright Scholars, 3 Department of Homeland Security Scholars, 36 Critical Language Scholars, one Schwarzman Scholar, one Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Scholar, and 27 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships.

U.S. News is like People magazine or something--they have no certification for identifying anyones actual academics and their methodology has been debunked many times over.

Last edited:
If these were actually the criteria, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers, Colorado, TAMU and Mizzou wouldn't be in the conferences they are currently in, or are about to be in in TX and OKs case. I should add BYU, UCF, Cincy and Houston in there too. Even the AAC has cross country members that have nothing to do with rivalries or ease of getting to an away game. These are all deals made between networks and college presidents and ADs. Fans have no say other than how they use their eyeballs.
gusty I don't disagree with the truth of your post, I just disagree with the way things have gone to hell.

If they lowball, the Big 12 needs to gamble on itself and insist on a short GOR. Winning fixes everything. Plus that gives the Hulu's and Amazon's of the world time to build up to be a true competitor for live CFB.

“Winning fixes everything”….. again you’re either naive or ignorant to what’s driving the bus. Also you need get this through your brain and deal with it….no one cares about Hicksville or Hillbilly USA.

If they don't get an expanded playoffs:

1) OK will rarely be in the playoffs. They will constantly look back on what they lost (nearly yearly inclusion/contender status in the Big 12). Not exactly how you want to onboard a new program. Is OK willing to abandon relevance for money (ex. Penn State)?

That is the multi-million dollar question. If the answer is "no", that relationship gets prickly.

2) The SEC will lose tens of millions every year in TV money/attendance (first round would be at top 6 home stadiums as opposed to neutral site).

Laugh away Junior. The SEC isn't.

You may actually be the biggest homer on this site. You’ve been left behind pal.

6 Standford
9 Duke
9 Northwestern
14 Vanderbilt
20 UCLA
22 Cal-Berkeley
23 Michigan
25 Virginia
27 USC
28 North Carolina
28 Wake Forest
28 Florida
36 Boston College
38 Georgia Tech
38 Texas
42 Wisconsin
47 Illinois
48 Georgia
49 Ohio State
49 Purdue
55 Miami
55 Florida State
59 Pitt
59 Syracuse
59 Maryland
59 Washington
63 Penn State
63 Rutgers
68 Minnesota
68 Indiana
68 Texas a&m
75 Clemson
75 Baylor
75 Virginia Tech
79 NC State
83 Iowa
83 Michigan State
83 TCU
99 Colorado
103 Arizona
103 Tennessee
117 Arizona State
117 South Carolina
122 Missouri
122 Iowa State
122 Kansas
127 Kentucky
127 Oklahoma
136 Nebraska
148 Alabama
162 Oregon State
162 Kansas State
172 LSU
179 Washington State
187 Louisville
196 Mississippi State
213 Texas Tech
249 West Virginia

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Mostly WVU just needs to change who they count and who is admitted and where they spend their first year in college. Pretty funny that that list has STANDFORD at the top. Pretty sure a graduate from Pitt ought to know how to spell Stanford!

Reactions: atlanta_eer
Mostly WVU just needs to change who they count and who is admitted and where they spend their first year in college. Pretty funny that that list has STANDFORD at the top. Pretty sure a graduate from Pitt ought to know how to spell Stanford!
WVU could solve a lot of this problem by having a satellite campus as an associate instead of feeding these kids directly into the WVU system. This is a legislative issue not a collegiate one.

You are claiming this represents "WVUs academics".

That is just some magazines personal declaration mostly derived from questionable data to declare a number system based on their own criteria--has nothing to do with how well WVU educates anyone or the status of their actual academic programs.

Here is some REAL academic information re: WVU

Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education​

WVU classification R1--same as BC, Clemson, Duke, FSU, GT, NC State, Syracuse, Louisville, Miami, UNC, Pitt, UVA, VT

There are also numerous other other accolades for WVU academics such as the number of Rhodes scholars and top ten programs.

from the WVU site for example https://www.wvu.edu/about-wvu/achievements:
WVU recipients of prestigious scholarships include 25 Rhodes Scholars, 25 Truman Scholars, 46 Goldwater Scholars, 3 George C. Marshall (British) Scholars, 6 Morris K. Udall Scholars, 5 USA Today All-USA College Academic First Team Members (and 11 academic team honorees), 28 Boren Scholars, 75 Gilman Scholars, 70 Fulbright Scholars, 3 Department of Homeland Security Scholars, 36 Critical Language Scholars, one Schwarzman Scholar, one Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Scholar, and 27 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships.

U.S. News is like People magazine or something--they have no certification for identifying anyones actual academics and their methodology has been debunked many times over.
I am not claiming but reporting what US News is publishing about all P-5 university rankings.

US News is a National Publication which most of the country (students/family members rely on) use in evaluating which schools they may want to apply to (Like it or Not).

You may not agree with the rankings but most other do.

Therefore, it would be incumbent upon WVU (IMHO) to do what they can to improve their standing in this National Ranking Publication.

A football analogy would be if the AP or Coaches Poll ranking came out and you would disagree with the assessment. It is your opinion but most of the country accepts the ranking.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: atlanta_eer
Thank you for proofreading my post.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I am not saying but reporting what US News is publishing about all P-5 university rankings.

US News is a National Publication which most of the country (students/family members rely on) use in evaluating which schools they may want to apply to (Like it or Not).

You may not agree with the rankings but most other do.

Therefore, it would be incumbent upon WVU (IMHO) to do what they can to improve their standing in this National Ranking Publication.

A football analogy would be if the AP or Coaches Poll ranking came out and you would disagree with the assessment. It is your opinion but most of the country accepts the ranking.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
US News World Report is so slanted and most of the country knows this, and takes their views with a grain of salt. I never came across anybody who said they used this magazine to decide where to apply and or go.

Reactions: Mountain Man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT