ADVERTISEMENT

Can say what you want about TO's and foul shots

Papillion

All-American
May 29, 2001
by WVU but that pathetic offense is what killed as much as anything else. With 5 or 6 minutes left in the game WVU decided to spread it out and do nothing but drive and KU immediately cut it off. Our guy backs off and tries again and again to drive and again gets cut off instantly. It was a one-track mind by Huggins. It was bullshit. You could see KU thinking. They were not going to let us drive but we kept trying it instead of continuing to do what we did in the first half or at least dish it back out. Way too much dribbling and not enough smart strategy. I don't get it.

And what does KU do that they couldn't in the first half? They did nothing but drive and we did nothing but let them. Unbelievable nonsense. I think our offensive strategy in the last five minutes and horrible defense overshadowed our lousy foul shooting and turnovers.

Thank you Pap...we all saw what happened...

Keaton can lol all he wants...but it was right in front of us.

You nailed it with your post.

What's with the "lol"? I wasn't bashing Huggs but what I saw pissed me off. The refs sucked, our defense sucked, our foul shots sucked but that offense sucked in the last five minutes. How you can "lol" is just plain ignorant. I know what I saw and it was a mistake as far as I'm concerned. How else you explain 19 freakin points in the second half? Missed foul shots don't answer for everything.

Did turnovers hurt? Yes... but they hurt Kansas too.

Did poor free throw shooting hurt? Yes... but it shouldn't have even come to that.

If we are up by 10 with 2 minutes left and can't make a free throw and lose - that loss belongs on the players.

When you go away from what got you the lead to start with, with a big lead, a freshman backcourt, with 8 minutes to go, proceed to take the fight out of your team by playing like that the rest of the way, refuse to call timeouts to both settle your team down or set up a better plan than a 28 footer from a kid with no confidence in his shot, who hadn't made one all night?

That loss belongs squarely on Huggins. That was bush-league coaching pure and simple.

And before anybody says anything, am I a better coach than Huggins? No... I suck. But tonight I was...

You guys loved Huggins when the very same strategy worked for a win against Texas...... and it would have worked again tonight if Carter hits his free throws at the toward the end of regulation.

What the hell is wrong with your F'N brain anyway?
sign0094.r191677.gif

our 80 percent foul shooter doesn't go 2-4 at the end and it's all academic

even if he goes 3-4, wvu likely wins.....notice their guy hit the two that tied the game after that.....was he an 80 percent foul shooter on the season?.....he came through in the clutch and we didn't.....it's that simple, really.....know it sounds cruel, but thems the facts.....it wasn't just carter.....he had a lot of help in handing this game away from the line......

WVU made one 2-pt field goal in the last 25 minutes

One

And the fault still somehow lands on coaching strategy? This is why I lol!

Originally posted by Papillion:
by WVU but that pathetic offense is what killed as much as anything else. With 5 or 6 minutes left in the game WVU decided to spread it out and do nothing but drive and KU immediately cut it off. Our guy backs off and tries again and again to drive and again gets cut off instantly. It was a one-track mind by Huggins. It was bullshit. You could see KU thinking. They were not going to let us drive but we kept trying it instead of continuing to do what we did in the first half or at least dish it back out. Way too much dribbling and not enough smart strategy. I don't get it.

And what does KU do that they couldn't in the first half? They did nothing but drive and we did nothing but let them. Unbelievable nonsense. I think our offensive strategy in the last five minutes and horrible defense overshadowed our lousy foul shooting and turnovers.
Hey Pap, what about this same offensive strategy when we WON some of those games? Yeah, didn't see you posting how great of a strategy it was then. Go back and look at some games. Spreading it out with a lead, taking time off the clock, kind of what you do especially when you are shorthanded at the guard position and your wings and post players aren't getting the job done. But, you are better at coaching from your recliner than Huggs is on the court and with his team every day. We get it.
wink.r191677.gif

Hey wiseass, the point for my criticism is not changing something that is working but changing something that isn't. It wasn't working but they kept trying to drive and NOTHING was there the entire second half. In fact they built that lead on not driving.

How would the strategy of trying to drive against a wall worked just because a guy hits his free throws? The strategy wasn't working. We stopped doing what got us the lead in the first half. That's the point but some people just can't comprehend what they're reading, or don't want to, then ironically ask the other guy what's wrong with his brain.

Pappy, for goodness sakes..... give it a break. The Mountaineers had plenty of opportunities to win the game in regulation...... blown inbounds plays, fumbled pass for a point-blank dunk, missed free throws, and there were even more.

Look, our young guys just showed their youth and inexperience, they've got talent, but they don't yet have all the things it takes to win games like the Kansas game. I mean Hell, even Huggins is taking the blame for calling the right play at the right time that turned sour just because of who the players in the game were.

Relax, it's over.... hopefully our guys grew-up a little bit last night. Now let's go beat Okie State.
smokin.r191677.gif

I prefer to be thrilled by the effort

Originally posted by PaintedontheSky:

Pappy, for goodness sakes..... give it a break. The Mountaineers had plenty of opportunities to win the game in regulation...... blown inbounds plays, fumbled pass for a point-blank dunk, missed free throws, and there were even more.

Look, our young guys just showed their youth and inexperience, they've got talent, but they don't yet have all the things it takes to win games like the Kansas game. I mean Hell, even Huggins is taking the blame for calling the right play at the right time that turned sour just because of who the players in the game were.

Relax, it's over.... hopefully our guys grew-up a little bit last night. Now let's go beat Okie State.
smokin.r191677.gif

WVU was faced with overwhelming odds -- No. 9 team that doesn't lose at home, no Staten, no Browne, 3 Mountaineers foul out. And yet this very young team scared the bejeebers out of Kansas and forced the Jayhawks to come from 18 down to get into overtime.

I think every team in America decided that it doesn't want to meet WVU in March Madness if Staten and Browne are healthy. I love this time. What they did against Kansas, when they should have been wiped out by 30 at halftime, was remarkable.

I prefer to see the good. Plus, WVU's W-L is pretty remarkable. Bob Huggins is doing an incredible job. Unless you want to be a Negative Nancy. That's just not my style.

CUYAHOGA FALLS EERS

[/QUOTE]

I don't buy that part about KU driving the second half and

WV did nothing about it. Refs must have seen something WV was doing about it because they called a foul on each one of the drives. Did you watch the same game I did? Inexperience was costly at the end of the first half. We had them totally backing up. Leading by 18 with a chance to go up on the last shot by 20. Instead, took a quick shot. KU converted and got another . WV up by 14 instead of 20. KU came out 2nd half with a bit of MO(and a good half time ass chewing). With 8-10 point lead, Huggs spread them. Identical situation to a game a couple weeks earlier that WV won. This one failed with the inexperience on the floor.

I agree completely. I just said it was one of the reasons. I was sitting there watching and all of a sudden it hit me that we were spreading it out and trying to drive and I realized I'd been watching that for several minutes. This one stung like a football loss.

Free Throws Through the First Half of Play Today:

WVU 9-10
Oklahoma State 0-0

The thing is.. to pin a loss such as this one on coaching... why not look at the whole picture...

Either Huggs has recruited enough players, and coached them up, to where they are in position to win a game on the road against one of the best teams in America... A team that has a lot of 4-5 star talent.. and we were still in decent position to win, and were competitive until the end.. a team we had beaten earlier on this year, one of our 22 wins..

or we somehow have MORE natural talent than one of the best teams in America, and somehow the coaching staff had nothing to do with that part, and then coaching put us in position to lose.

If some of our losses reside squarely on Huggs, and none of the wins were purely because of coaching, then you're saying that our team has the natural talent that with better coaching - would be what, 25-5 right now, or even better?

I don't know about you, but I would think without Huggs influence and coaching these young players up to their potentials, we wouldn't be looking at the NCAA tournament right now, we'd at best be a bubble team who probably would need to win a game in the B12 tourney. He's brought in a scheme that really fits what these guys can do, and when we shoot well (which above just about anything else would be more of a recruiting issue than a coaching issue) we could compete with just about anyone, given our press causes enough turnovers. This team doesn't fair nearly as well this year if the press wasn't installed. Those are my thoughts. You can't blame coaching just for the losses. Especially to great teams on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT