ADVERTISEMENT

By the numbers and CFE mathmatic configurations = Rod a flop without White.

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
Rod overall P5 record 118-83
With Pat White 32-5
Without Pat White overall 86-78

At WVU without Pat White
28-21....

Numbers don't lie as CFE claims. Rod was average to below average without Pat White at QB.

Holgorsen with a star QB by the numbers.

Geno Smith 17-9
Skylar Howard 18-8
Will Grier 15-7 (minus bowl games and his missed games due to injury)

Overall 50-24....
without a good QB 11-17

Brown still waiting on his good to great QB. 11-11

The numbers don't lie you need a good QB just to finish 3rd or lower in Big 12.

The numbers don't lie but you can manipulate them.

Reactions: locustwv
Not sure what the point of this thread is. RR had enough sense to recruit one of the best players in WVU history and they both won a tonne of games.....

Not sure what the point of this thread is. RR had enough sense to recruit one of the best players in WVU history and they both won a tonne of games.....
Doesn't believe the CFE math wisdom. Open your eyes to his mathematical genius.

They owe their success to each other. RR gave White the opportunity he would get nowhere else. White gave RR the wins and success he had. One point I always find interesting though, is that White and Slaton together was forced through injuries. RR thought neither was the best option or wasn't ready. At least, that was my impression.

They owe their success to each other. RR gave White the opportunity he would get nowhere else. White gave RR the wins and success he had. One point I always find interesting though, is that White and Slaton together was forced through injuries. RR thought neither was the best option or wasn't ready. At least, that was my impression.

You are correct. Slaton was behind Colson, Pernell Williams, and someone else I think. Against VT injuries and fumbilitis (Williams) gave him a chance and he went off. RR was trying to make Bednarik work until the Louisville game where WVU only managed 7 points in 50 minutes of play AND Bednarik got banged up. Then White came in and proved himself to be the man like Slaton did against VT.

You are correct. Slaton was behind Colson, Pernell Williams, and someone else I think. Against VT injuries and fumbilitis (Williams) gave him a chance and he went off. RR was trying to make Bednarik work until the Louisville game where WVU only managed 7 points in 50 minutes of play AND Bednarik got banged up. Then White came in and proved himself to be the man like Slaton did against VT.
That part there makes me sort of question RR's ability to identify his best talent. I felt like he was forever chasing his next Pat White at Michigan and Arizona.

His subsequent QB's were attempted molds of PW. He found success and needed that exact blueprint. Not just a dual threat, but a second PW.
The difference at Michigan wasn't at QB. He wanted smaller...faster...quicker Ol to make conversion to his system. Wasn't ever going to get the time.

The difference at Michigan wasn't at QB. He wanted smaller...faster...quicker Ol to make conversion to his system. Wasn't ever going to get the time.
He did the same thing at WVU. OL changup. Yet he still chased the elusive PW replacement. Yet you couldn't replace that mindset PW had. I think RR knew. Hence why he bolted. He couldn't win at the same rate he could with PW. Among other reasons as well.

He did the same thing at WVU. OL changup. Yet he still chased the elusive PW replacement. Yet you couldn't replace that mindset PW had. I think RR knew. Hence why he bolted. He couldn't win at the same rate he could with PW. Among other reasons as well.
It always amazes me that the Mountaineers have found high levels of success with dual threat qb but repeatedly recruit in the pocket guys. Never seem to have an OL to make that work consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: LHANDSDC
It always amazes me that the Mountaineers have found high levels of success with dual threat qb but repeatedly recruit in the pocket guys. Never seen to have an OL to make that work consistently.
Got that right. At least not in the years of me being a fan. The underachieving '99 squad was the closest I have seeing but like you said, inconsistent.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Doesn't believe the CFE math wisdom. Open your eyes to his mathematical genius.
It has nothing to do with math.... This is the equivalent of saying: well if we didn't drop the nuclear bomb of Japan, WWII would have lasted another five years. The fact of the matter is, we had the bomb, be dropped it...end of conversation. Same with PW. We had PW and everything else is pure speculation.

Rod overall P5 record 118-83
With Pat White 32-5
Without Pat White overall 86-78

At WVU without Pat White
28-21....

Numbers don't lie as CFE claims. Rod was average to below average without Pat White at QB.

In RR's defense look at what Mullen and Stewart did with White, Devine, and a fairly competent inherited roster in the 2008 season. So I'd say RR definitely needed those kind of players, but they also kind of needed his scheme and coaching tact. Just like the 2010 WVU offense and the 2011 WVU offense were completely different animals despite comparable rosters due to the coaching change. An average or worse coach seems to underperform even with a great roster of players.

In RR's defense look at what Mullen and Stewart did with White, Devine, and a fairly competent inherited roster in the 2008 season. So I'd say RR definitely needed those kind of players, but they also kind of needed his scheme and coaching tact. Just like the 2010 WVU offense and the 2011 WVU offense were completely different animals despite comparable rosters due to the coaching change. An average or worse coach seems to underperform even with a great roster of players.
Excellent point. Sometimes a scheme can be a hindrance for talent.

It has nothing to do with math.... This is the equivalent of saying: well if we didn't drop the nuclear bomb of Japan, WWII would have lasted another five years. The fact of the matter is, we had the bomb, be dropped it...end of conversation. Same with PW. We had PW and everything else is pure speculation.
And if he didn't have Pat White it's the normal ride of 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 8-5.

Don't challenge the great and mighty numbers of the CFE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT