ADVERTISEMENT

Buckaineer right now....

steeleer

All-Conference
Sep 19, 2005
200.gif

He can't wait for a school that doesn't bring value to come and I'm patiently waiting for the whole thing to implode once we make the grave error of expanding for expansion's sake.

He can't wait for a school that doesn't bring value to come and I'm patiently waiting for the whole thing to implode once we make the grave error of expanding for expansion's sake.

The Big 12 had a complete study done and the results seemingly proved to the schools in doubt that it's worth moving forward.

....that's hardly 'expanding for expansions sake'.

The Big 12 had a complete study done and the results seemingly proved to the schools in doubt that it's worth moving forward.

....that's hardly 'expanding for expansions sake'.
The same person who did the Big XII study probably did a study on ACC expansion showing adding Boston College was a good move despite the fact they suck (unless we're talking about Hockey) and don't draw jack squat in terms of fans or interest in the very city the school is named after.

I can do a study that shows there's pure genius amongst all pro wrestling, nascar, pbr, nhl, NFL, nba, and ufc fans. It doesn't mean it's correct.

The same person who did the Big XII study probably did a study on ACC expansion showing adding Boston College was a good move despite the fact they suck (unless we're talking about Hockey) and don't draw jack squat in terms of fans or interest in the very city the school is named after.

I can do a study that shows there's pure genius amongst all pro wrestling, nascar, pbr, nhl, NFL, nba, and ufc fans. It doesn't mean it's correct.

It wasn't a single person.

You might have a point if you argued that the study was done to influence expansion as opposed to being truly independent... ...but it helped convince schools originally against expansion so they must be comfortable that it wasn't rigged.

I think the study was probably done with the end result before it was started. It is like the coaching head hunter search groups. They already are being paid by the coach who they tell the school with the gutless AD to hire. Now they're telling the conference which schools to pick. I'm betting the school is helping the study group.

I also think the culture and brand of this conference will be damaged if they add a bunch of G5 commuter schools. We got a good thing going, and the SOS is awesome. Who wants to beat schools that aren't the best?

The only conferences that have not totally screwed themselves up with expansion is the SEC & B1G. They added state schools with decent brands.. imo the SEC & B1G would have been better staying at 12. Especially if they stay at only 8 conference games.

Eventually these mega conferences will blow up (10-20 years from now). Nothing stays the same forever. I still say the ACC blows up first. No way the egos in NC and at ND are a long term relationship. It's like a rock star band or marriage. Eventually the burned out over hill druggy starts looking other places for something better so they can feel wanted.

The SEC had 5 teams that were sub .500 in the conference in 2015. Four of them had losing records overall. The B1G had seven teams with losing conference records. Those same teams also had losing records overall. That is half the conference!

Some teams are power 5 simply because they were in the conference when the whole concept was coined. Being in a power 5 conference does NOT make you a power 5 team. Not currently being in one does not mean you are not a power 5 team. In some cases teams are doing much better with a lot less. Why would you not want them?

I think the study was probably done with the end result before it was started. It is like the coaching head hunter search groups. They already are being paid by the coach who they tell the school with the gutless AD to hire. Now they're telling the conference which schools to pick. I'm betting the school is helping the study group.

I also think the culture and brand of this conference will be damaged if they add a bunch of G5 commuter schools. We got a good thing going, and the SOS is awesome. Who wants to beat schools that aren't the best?

The only conferences that have not totally screwed themselves up with expansion is the SEC & B1G. They added state schools with decent brands.. imo the SEC & B1G would have been better staying at 12. Especially if they stay at only 8 conference games.

Eventually these mega conferences will blow up (10-20 years from now). Nothing stays the same forever. I still say the ACC blows up first. No way the egos in NC and at ND are a long term relationship. It's like a rock star band or marriage. Eventually the burned out over hill druggy starts looking other places for something better so they can feel wanted.
Rutgers is a chit program that nobody cares about not even in jersey

Exactly. Rutgers is NOT a power 5 team, but they are feeding at the trough of a power 5 conference. If Iowa State was not already in the Big 12 would they seriously be considered to add? Would Kansas, just for basketball?

Exactly. Rutgers is NOT a power 5 team, but they are feeding at the trough of a power 5 conference. If Iowa State was not already in the Big 12 would they seriously be considered to add? Would Kansas, just for basketball?

Vandy, Purdue, BC, WF, Washington St, Oregon St, Rutgers, are all power 5 teams by conference only.

I'm of the opinion there are probably more.

Vandy, Purdue, BC, WF, Washington St, Oregon St, Rutgers, are all power 5 teams by conference only.

I'm of the opinion there are probably more.

Indeed, Bobby. There are at least 20 teams in power five conferences who happened to be on the right side of the tracks when expansion (robbing other conferences) started. They are phony wannabe's getting big paydays simply by association. There are at least a handful of true power 5 teams who were left on the wrong side of the tracks. Now they are looked down upon as mid-majors even though they are winning with minuscule budgets.

I haven't seen such arrogant bullshit since I was a cop working South Hills in Charleston.

BIG 12 expansion has never been "expansion for expansion's sake".

The BIG 12 exists in a world of power conferences that are constantly moving and taking action and trying to gain advantage. For some reason, some in the BIG 12 including fans think they can sit on their @$$ and every one else will do the same and play nice.

No, they won't--they will take and destroy when they get the chance.

If ANY of you cares about WVU like you have pretended I do not--you would be flocking to message boards left and right and shouting about the steps the BIG 12 should and must take--because if it doesn't then in a few years WVU is going to be hard pressed to remain in a P5 league.

You've been wrong about everything you dreamed up, yet STILL can't see--unbelievable.

The conference WVU is in is in trouble. The media is hell bent on ripping it apart, Texas is trying to push inaction until they want to make decisions for themselves only in 2023-2025--and the OU faithful have been 100% duped into thinking they are too good for this disfunctional mess.

Gordon Gee, AD Lyons and coach Holgorsen--you know WVU ATHLETICS are all in favor of expansion because WVUs fate largely rest on the success of that.

Get over the ridiculous scorn of well qualified schools--they are the key to the future success of WVUs conference and WVU itself.

The Big 12 has a history of making bad decisions and I expect this to be no different. BYU I can stomach, the other options suck.

Memphis has a lot of financial backing with Fed Ex. Plus, that gets a lot of the Big 12 into prime SEC recruiting territory.

I also think CSU brings a lot to the table. They are building and expanding. Great city and gets the Big 12 back in Colorado.

BYU in Football only makes a lot of sense.

Need a forth, I guess Cincy, but I would rather have anyone but Cincy.

Rutgers is the worst program in both football and basketball history. Its criminal they got a life line from the big10.

Seriously, they had one decent season out of a 100 in football. And not one decent season in hoops.........geezus! That program is bottom of the barrel

Memphis has a lot of financial backing with Fed Ex. Plus, that gets a lot of the Big 12 into prime SEC recruiting territory.

I also think CSU brings a lot to the table. They are building and expanding. Great city and gets the Big 12 back in Colorado.

BYU in Football only makes a lot of sense.

Need a forth, I guess Cincy, but I would rather have anyone but Cincy.

Why would the Big 12 want to come back to Colorado? Its not fertile ground for division 1 recruits. Fort Collins isn't exactly a full fledged college town like Boulder and regardless of what they say it won't exactly bring in the Denver Market. Denver is a pro sports town outside of the rocky mountain showdown you wouldn't know college football exists out here.

Why would the Big 12 want to come back to Colorado? Its not fertile ground for division 1 recruits. Fort Collins isn't exactly a full fledged college town like Boulder and regardless of what they say it won't exactly bring in the Denver Market. Denver is a pro sports town outside of the rocky mountain showdown you wouldn't know college football exists out here.
Geography, State School, unquestionably a P5 school, large population state, story line of a school returning to the Big12 would play well, way better addition than any of the other schools available. Grab an Arizona school too and the BIG12 can be the hunter not the hunted.

The BIG 12 is going to add schools from the non P5 group. Boren made that clear long ago. People need to get it through their heads.

Just like the ACC schools were never coming, the PAC is tied up through 2023.

Colorado was trying to steer people away from CSU though, not CU.

Colorado STATE U is in the MWC, not a power conference.

The Big 12 will cease to exist long before the PAC

They will likely both be around longer than we will. Coach Rick Neuheisel shows that every conference has their own unique set of problems. The Big 12 is at another major fork in the road. To quote the late Yogi Berra, "They should take it!"

Last edited:
The BIG 12 is going to add schools from the non P5 group. Boren made that clear long ago. People need to get it through their heads.

Just like the ACC schools were never coming, the PAC is tied up through 2023.

Colorado was trying to steer people away from CSU though, not CU.

Colorado STATE U is in the MWC, not a power conference.

I agree with your points. It makes you wonder why Bill Snyder says 2 teams want back in the Big 12.

None of the P5s is going away now. Until conferences are no more, they'll be there. Gradually a few more non P5 schools will be enveloped by different leagues.

Now that the SEC is locked in until 2034 and ACC through 2036 ( reportedly), there won't be any more movement once the BIG 12 gets its pieces in order.

The remaining handful of non P5 schools that meet the criteria and would likely start out in the middle of any P5 conference have been identified and the best ones are likely soon to be taken. Then what?

No P5 conference really wants to bring in a new member that would come in and immediately dominate, while each one has a couple of members they would probably not mind losing. The wave of GOR extensions has started and is unlikely to stop now. You want to renegotiate your broadcast contract? What's the expiration date of your GOR?

So Boucher is a New Mexico fan and doesn't want MWC schools poached--hence against BIG 12 expansion.

Explains alot.

Geography, State School, unquestionably a P5 school, large population state, story line of a school returning to the Big12 would play well, way better addition than any of the other schools available. Grab an Arizona school too and the BIG12 can be the hunter not the hunted.

Colorado State is small time a borderline commuter school they don't generate much interest locally. nobody cares about college sports this is a pro sports market. Colorado isn't a Large population state all the options in the east have larger populations than Colorado.

Last edited:
Why are they small time?

Colorado state is small time. It took them almost a decade to raise the money to build the new stadium and its capacity is only 35000. There isn't much interest in them locally outside of the people that attend the school. No recruiting base and they wouldn't deliver the Denver market either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT