ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm to Purdue

I predict a path similar to Dana....especially since Purdue's skill level is pretty poor right now. The good news is that they have sucked so long that they will hopefully give him the time needed (4 years minimum) to get things better there.

Brohm denied Leaving Western KY
Hermin denied Leaving Houston

Just like Tommy Tubberville can't believe a word any coach says-Nature of the "Business".

That very well may be career suicide. Purdue has always hired up-and-coming coaches then never does anything more for the program in terms of resources and facilities.

That very well may be career suicide. Purdue has always hired up-and-coming coaches then never does anything more for the program in terms of resources and facilities.
There's only 65 P-5 HC positions. You pass on one there may not be another.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
I kind of had him in mind as our plan B if Dana didn't resign. If Dana would leave a a couple years, he might be on our Rolodex.

As if anyone uses those anymore.

Agree. I think in the coaching business you have to take the opportunities as they arise especially if you are a young coach wanting to move up. There are upsides (Nehlen) and downsides (Faust).
Faust. I can't think of another school making a worse choice.

It's Purdue.
There’s no doubt there are challenges. The stadium and other facilities need major upgrades. It may be the worst job in the BIG. But it is a job in the BIG. If he can even be competitive there it would be a notch in his favor. Plus, he just got a $3mil/year raise.

There’s no doubt there are challenges. The stadium and other facilities need major upgrades. It may be the worst job in the BIG. But it is a job in the BIG. If he can even be competitive there it would be a notch in his favor. Plus, he just got a $3mil/year raise.
Yes, I'm sure Hazell is still cashing his checks and all, but he gets to likely start over as an assistant before he gets another crack at head coaching somewhere. Brohm's going to have the deck stacked against him and very few have managed .500 against those odds. Hazell was a hot hire just like Brohm.

It wasn't that long ago Purdue was in the Rose Bowl with Drew Brees. They have a rich history of QBs and they play in the Big 10 west.

If he can bring back the Joe Tiller air raid and win 7-9 regularly he'll be loved in West Lafayette.

Purdue has a:

601–553–48 overall record
9-8 Bowl record
12 conference championships
20 All Americans

Not that bad overall.

Yes, I'm sure Hazell is still cashing his checks and all, but he gets to likely start over as an assistant before he gets another crack at head coaching somewhere. Brohm's going to have the deck stacked against him and very few have managed .500 against those odds. Hazell was a hot hire just like Brohm.
No doubt. Big challenge.

It wasn't that long ago Purdue was in the Rose Bowl with Drew Brees. They have a rich history of QBs and they play in the Big 10 west.

If he can bring back the Joe Tiller air raid and win 7-9 regularly he'll be loved in West Lafayette.

Purdue has a:

601–553–48 overall record
9-8 Bowl record
12 conference championships
20 All Americans

Not that bad overall.
Remind me again how long ago Brees was QB for them. I'm sure Purdue loves anything north of 6 wins, but they are an academic school first and foremost. Athletics are not a priority. If Brohm wins more than 6, he should take the first job offer he gets and leave there before his career is dashed by the mediocrity that permeates that program.

Remind me again how long ago Brees was QB for them. I'm sure Purdue loves anything north of 6 wins, but they are an academic school first and foremost. Athletics are not a priority. If Brohm wins more than 6, he should take the first job offer he gets and leave there before his career is dashed by the mediocrity that permeates that program.

It is the proverbial double-edged sword; risk of tanking and having to build your coaching rep over, reward to a better program if he can do well for a few years.

I'd agree that if he can do better than 6-6 at Purdue for a couple of seasons, someone will come knocking and he'd better answer the door.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT