ADVERTISEMENT

Britain bans gasoline and diesel cars starting in 2040

Look..... I like what Musk is trying to do. Being inovative... taking risks.... etc.

But his support of these type of stories are also very self serving.

Drill baby drill.

I love stories like that because I know as I read it that awful people enriched by oil, like the Saudis, crap in their pants every time a story like that comes out. I hope I live long enough to see the day when Saudi Arabia has to actually do something to earn money aside from drilling a hole in the ground.

I've set a deadline for me to live off the land for 2040. I'm sure I'll make it.

lol. 23 years from now.

Yeah, 23 years from now is a long time, but OTOH starting in 23 years 0% of cars sold in Britain will be gas cars. What is it now? 90% or more probably? It's a long time but then again it's a huge change, which means small and moderate change will start happening long before 23 years.

If 92% of cars sold in Britain are gas cars and if it has to get down to 0% in 23 years and if the reduction is linear then that's a 4% reduction each year. 92% in 2017, 88% in 2018, etc, down to 0% in 2040.

If you read that the percentage of gas cars sold from one year to the next dipped from 92 to 88% you'd think it's a big change. But that's what we're going to see for each of the next 23 years in Britain. And if the drop is less one year then it will have to be greater another year to make up for it.

ETA: Oops, had to edit, should have been 4% drop per year instead of 3%.

Yeah, 23 years from now is a long time, but OTOH starting in 23 years 0% of cars sold in Britain will be gas cars. What is it now? 90% or more probably? It's a long time but then again it's a huge change, which means small and moderate change will start happening long before 23 years.

If 92% of cars sold in Britain are gas cars and if it has to get down to 0% in 23 years and if the reduction is linear then that's a 3% reduction each year. 92% in 2017, 89% in 2018, etc, down to 0% in 2040.

If you read that the percentage of gas cars sold from one year to the next dipped from 92 to 89% you'd think it's a big change. But that's what we're going to see for each of the next 23 years in Britain. And if the drop is less one year then it will have to be greater another year to make up for it.
Or they will adjust the "ban" until 2050. It's silly. Just set a goal and encourage consumers.

lol. 23 years from now.
lol. Yes, this type of change can't be implemented legitimately in a few years. People need incentive to make the change on their own in order to prevent the cost from skyrocketing (and falling on the gov). Setting a law that bans gas powered engines at a future date, is a very good way to provide incentive for switching to alt powered vehicles (esp for businesses) --- yet enough time was allotted to wait for business investments to make it cheaper first.

lol. Yes, this type of change can't be implemented legitimately in a few years. People need incentive to make the change on their own in order to prevent the cost from skyrocketing (and falling on the gov). Setting a law that bans gas powered engines at a future date, is a very good way to provide incentive for switching to alt powered vehicles (esp for businesses) --- yet enough time was allotted to wait for business investments to make it cheaper first.
And the market will do that in a much shorter time frame. Not some obscure ban 23 years from now that can and would be moved back.

And the market will do that in a much shorter time frame. Not some obscure ban 23 years from now that can and would be moved back.
I'm sure the market can.....but this is a measure that helps incentivize the market change

lol. Good grief. The 23 year incentive plan! If that doesn't sound like government, I don't know what does.
So, if the timeline was 2020....that would make sense to you?

Don't look now, but the market can be manipulated by many factors (esp in this case).

If 92% of cars sold in Britain are gas cars and if it has to get down to 0% in 23 years and if the reduction is linear then that's a 4% reduction each year. 92% in 2017, 88% in 2018, etc, down to 0% in 2040.

If you read that the percentage of gas cars sold from one year to the next dipped from 92 to 88% you'd think it's a big change. But that's what we're going to see for each of the next 23 years in Britain. And if the drop is less one year then it will have to be greater another year to make up for it.

ETA: Oops, had to edit, should have been 4% drop per year instead of 3%.

I have yet to understand why you make replies like this. I just don't get it.

So, if the timeline was 2020....that would make sense to you?

Don't look now, but the market can be manipulated by many factors (esp in this case).
It would at least be seen as pushing the issue. I just don't think you and I will ever agree on governments role here, but yes a 3-5 year deadline could at least be treated as serious.

I don't get why you'd say you don't get something and then not elaborate on what you don't get.

These type of replies, I picture Milton stating your diatribe, then mumbling about his red stapler.

It would at least be seen as pushing the issue. I just don't think you and I will ever agree on governments role here, but yes a 3-5 year deadline could at least be treated as serious.
Agreed, but it can also be seen as market manipulation and met with fierce resistance. The distance allows for market factors to take shape somewhat naturally, but with an eye on a future factor that makes investment a little more attractive - both theoretically AND economically.

Agreed, but it can also be seen as market manipulation and met with fierce resistance. The distance allows for market factors to take shape somewhat naturally, but with an eye on a future factor that makes investment a little more attractive - both theoretically AND economically.
ie, pointless.

ie, pointless.
I don't think so. I think in any conversation about a switch (be it at a family dinner table or a business boardroom) it comes up. The ban could be moved, or maybe it doesn't get moved, and we should make this happen first - even though it might be more expensive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT